News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The most iconic dishes of your state

Started by Flint1979, August 14, 2022, 09:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2022, 02:59:17 PM
The whole hot dog thing in WV is very localized to me.  It's not like Chicago dogs or Jersey dogs or other regionally or nationally known hot dogs.

Unfortunately, I think the WV hot dog hype doesn't extend much past the I-79/US 19 corridor between Beckley and Morgantown.

The author of The West Virginia Hot Dog Blog did a lot of research and created this map that blows the whole idea of a hard-and-fast Slaw Line out of the water.  Hot dog joints in Fairmont (and the rest of Marion County) are notorious for their aversion to cole slaw.  But keep in mind, Morgantown (and the rest of Monongalia County) just north of there is the home of West Virginia University, which is forced to cater to the majority of the state (who want chili and slaw on their hot dogs).  Huntington (in Cabell and Wayne counties) is full of restaurants owned by folks from Eastern Kentucky and Southeastern Ohio who don't have a clue about West Virginians want (or simply don't care), and they lose a lot of local business.  Anyhow, when I was growing up, everyone knew that you might not get a Slaw Dog in Clarksburg, Fairmont, Morgantown, Wheeling, Weirton or the Eastern Panhandle.

But I was stunned to move to North Carolina and find out that a Carolina Hotdog "all the way" gets you chili/slaw/mustard/onions (and so does a Carolina Burger).  From a fellow who spent much of his career on the railroad working on projects in North Carolina.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, the thought of buying a hot dog at a food-service establishment is utterly foreign to me. I've always grown up with them being a grocery store item or something you're served at an informal cookout like a party or a work event where they're feeding dozens of people on the cheap. It's like seeing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the menu at a restaurant–why wouldn't you order something more difficult to make at home?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

skluth

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 19, 2022, 07:03:13 PM
Meanwhile, the thought of buying a hot dog at a food-service establishment is utterly foreign to me. I've always grown up with them being a grocery store item or something you're served at an informal cookout like a party or a work event where they're feeding dozens of people on the cheap. It's like seeing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the menu at a restaurant–why wouldn't you order something more difficult to make at home?

It also blows my mind that there is a hot dog chain, Wienerschnitzel, that somehow manages to exist. My idea of buying a hot dog usually involves a metal cart on wheels holding a bunch of various sausages in hot water being served by some old guy with a thick non-American accent. Although the last time I got one (a couple months ago) it was from a food truck, but still an older guy with a thick non-American accent.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: skluth on August 19, 2022, 07:26:44 PM
It also blows my mind that there is a hot dog chain, Wienerschnitzel, that somehow manages to exist. My idea of buying a hot dog usually involves a metal cart on wheels holding a bunch of various sausages in hot water being served by some old guy with a thick non-American accent. Although the last time I got one (a couple months ago) it was from a food truck, but still an older guy with a thick non-American accent.

Durham has a small hot chain appropriately named "The Dog House", fully equipped with a large fire hydrant outside.  Try a Bull Dog (true Carolina hotdog with chili/slaw/mustard/onions) or a German Shepherd (hotdog with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard). 

Both the walk-up and the drive-thru are usually quite busy.  They survive by being a lunch-only hot dog stand, with most (if not all) of their locations closing at 3PM.

Dirt Roads

More from West Virginia (I knew I was forgetting something really important):

Fried bologna sandwich (bologna schmeared with red hot sauce, then pan-fried - three cuts on the sides; served on a butter-toasted bun with plain ole' yeller mustard).  Onions on mine!

Rothman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 19, 2022, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2022, 02:59:17 PM
The whole hot dog thing in WV is very localized to me.  It's not like Chicago dogs or Jersey dogs or other regionally or nationally known hot dogs.

Unfortunately, I think the WV hot dog hype doesn't extend much past the I-79/US 19 corridor between Beckley and Morgantown.

The author of The West Virginia Hot Dog Blog did a lot of research and created this map that blows the whole idea of a hard-and-fast Slaw Line out of the water.  Hot dog joints in Fairmont (and the rest of Marion County) are notorious for their aversion to cole slaw.  But keep in mind, Morgantown (and the rest of Monongalia County) just north of there is the home of West Virginia University, which is forced to cater to the majority of the state (who want chili and slaw on their hot dogs).  Huntington (in Cabell and Wayne counties) is full of restaurants owned by folks from Eastern Kentucky and Southeastern Ohio who don't have a clue about West Virginians want (or simply don't care), and they lose a lot of local business.  Anyhow, when I was growing up, everyone knew that you might not get a Slaw Dog in Clarksburg, Fairmont, Morgantown, Wheeling, Weirton or the Eastern Panhandle.

But I was stunned to move to North Carolina and find out that a Carolina Hotdog "all the way" gets you chili/slaw/mustard/onions (and so does a Carolina Burger).  From a fellow who spent much of his career on the railroad working on projects in North Carolina.

My point is that very few people think, "Oh yes, WV hot dogs are a thing, I should go there and get one."

I am quite aware of that website and the slaw sillyness.  I've been to King Tut because of it and some other regional chain that was forgettable.  But, for people that don't really dig into WV cuisine, the promotion of WV hot dogs simply isn't catching on outside of the state.

And yet, people across the country know about Chicago dogs.

So, "iconic" is an interesting term.  Does it mean some dish whose fame extends beyond state borders or a dish where locals are grasping for the dish to do just that (western NY garbage plate also comes to mind)?

Makes me want to go back to Rutt's Hut for a few rippers...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

While I'm at it, let me try North Carolina.  I'm a country food conn-oh-sewer, so I might need somebody else to help with some of the fancy-dancy stuff.  By the way, state is so big that the best-known food product has three different versions:

Eastern NC BBQ (whole hog pulled pork, served with white vinegar "sauce" with red pepper seeds and a few extra spices)
Lexington-style barbecue, sometimes called Western NC barbecue (chopped pork shoulder, served with a red sauce that is much less vinegary with a hint of tomato and lots of spices)
Carolina barbecue, sometimes called Triangle* BBQ (chopped pork shoulder, served with Eastern BBQ "sauce" or a red sauce with much more vinegar than Lexington-style sauce)
     *Not my favorite term, but we're just going to call it Triangle* BBQ from now on to avoid confusion (since that is what Bob Garner, North Carolina's BBQ expert calls it).

Calabash-style fried shrimp
Shrimp burgers (fried shrimp dumped on a bun, served with slaw on top)
Carolina Beach shrimp burgers (shrimp patties), now more famous as South Carolina shrimp burger
Oyster burgers (fried shrimp dumped on a bun, served with slaw on top)
Core Sound clam chowder (thin brown soup)
similarly, Hatteras-style clam juice

Fried green tomatoes (with jalapeno pimiento cheese)

Yep!  Carolina Hot Dogs and Carolina Burgers.  Look for details upstream in this same thread.  Carolina Burgers are so famous that most Wendy's serves them here during football season. 
Mama Dip's fried chicken (Mildred Council a.k.a Mama Dip was a Chapel Hill restaurateur that coated her chicken with straight buttermilk before frying in a cast iron skillet).

Anything made with Texas Pete:
     Carolina hot dog chili
     Triangle* BBQ sauce
     Chicken livers and gizzards fried with Triangle* BBQ sauce
     Fried cheese straws (a holiday tradition)
     Firecracker shrimp
     Hot Sticky Finger Plum Pork Spareribs
     Corn and poblano salad

Red slaw (served with Lexington BBQ and Triangle* BBQ, made with red cabbage, vinegar and spices; a local variant uses apple cider vinegar)
Fried livermush
Even better! Neese's Liver pudding
Hoop cheese
Providence cheese
Nabs and Cheerwine (usually referring to the Lance brand peanut butter cheese-crackers, sorry Xerox!)
Krispy Kreme donuts (only when the neon "Hot Now" sign is turned on; zapping the cold ones in the microwave works, too - bring a large napkin)
Kilt lettuce salad (sometimes known as Appalachian kilt)(fresh greens and lettuce topped with hot greasy bacon fat and vinegar)(oh how I miss the mountains)
Mount Olive pickles
Bojangle's Chicken-and-Biscuits at football game tailgate parties

Dessert
Peach Sonker (made with cornstarch, simpler than a true cobbler)
Apple Stack Cakes (with thin slice mountain apples and a savory sweet sauce made with cinnamon and nutmeg; hot Streusel icing on top)
Apple Jacks (apple turnover fried in lard on a cast iron skillet)
Cheerwine ice cream float

Moravian cookies (another holiday tradition)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 19, 2022, 08:38:19 PM
Didn't know those were a big thing in NC. Always thought they were more of a southwestern thing.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Rothman

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 09:18:07 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 19, 2022, 08:38:19 PM
Didn't know those were a big thing in NC. Always thought they were more of a southwestern thing.
...or Georgia per the book and movie...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

Not a statewide thing by any means (also I've never been a fan of hot dogs per se) but the hot dog talk reminds me of this joint in Newport News called Gus's Hot Dog King (which ironically is almost next door to a Burger King lmao). Every time I'm in this area it seems pretty packed.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2iECLe3Qp5jiNn5f6
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on August 19, 2022, 08:32:16 PM
So, "iconic" is an interesting term.  Does it mean some dish whose fame extends beyond state borders or a dish where locals are grasping for the dish to do just that (western NY garbage plate also comes to mind)?

With the garbage plate, it's a common local thing to introduce to visitors, but I don't think anyone is grasping for it to become famous elsewhere. That would kind of defeat the purpose of it being unique to the area, as part of its fame is getting it when you're in the area because you can't get it elsewhere. Of course it's never going to reach Philly cheesesteak or Chicago deep dish pizza level prominence, and neither are about 99% of other local specialties.

Bruce

Quite a few grocery stores here sell premade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, including Safeway and Sprouts. They are not good, especially for the price ($4 at the former, $8 at the latter). I have tried them while on long road trips in places where there's not a lot of options for something plain and cheap at a grocery store.

Ned Weasel

You've never been to a Nathan's???  Not even one of the ones in the Pennsylvania Turnpike service plazas?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on August 20, 2022, 03:14:45 AM

Quite a few grocery stores here sell premade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, including Safeway and Sprouts. They are not good, especially for the price ($4 at the former, $8 at the latter). I have tried them while on long road trips in places where there's not a lot of options for something plain and cheap at a grocery store.

That's a totally different context, though–if you're buying something premade at a grocery store, it's to consume elsewhere later (either at home after the grocery trip, when you're too tired from shopping to make something yourself, or to take to work or something). Crest doesn't do PB&J, but they have premade subs that are pretty decent. I've bought those as a thing to take to work before.

Gas stations, like OnCue and Loves, also sell hot dogs off the little roller warmers, but that's also an entirely different context than a restaurant to me. There you're getting something quick and cheap to scarf down because you're on the road. I wouldn't intentionally leave the house to go to OnCue to get a hot dog, but I've done it because I'm filling up there on the way out of town.

If I'm at a restaurant, looking at getting a meal prepared and delivered to me for a premium, I'm probably not going to choose something I make for myself once a week or so.

Quote from: Ned Weasel on August 20, 2022, 04:25:11 PM

You've never been to a Nathan's???  Not even one of the ones in the Pennsylvania Turnpike service plazas?

There are no Nathan's in the state of Oklahoma. The closest ones are in the DFW area. Pretty much any time I find myself there, I'm with my wife, who is Californian and thus insists on hitting up In-N-Out because we don't have that in Oklahoma either.

The one time I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, we had just eaten at a Burger King in Maryland. We stopped at a service plaza for I think gas but I don't have any memory of the restaurants at the plaza. (I may not have even gone inside.)

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2022, 05:02:30 PM
There are no Nathan's in the state of Oklahoma. The closest ones are in the DFW area. Pretty much any time I find myself there, I'm with my wife, who is Californian and thus insists on hitting up In-N-Out because we don't have that in Oklahoma either.

The one time I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, we had just eaten at a Burger King in Maryland. We stopped at a service plaza for I think gas but I don't have any memory of the restaurants at the plaza. (I may not have even gone inside.)

I can't blame you, though.  I don't even eat hot dogs anymore because processed red meat is really not good for anyone.  Nathan's was a treat when I was a kid on family vacations, however.

While I'm at it, I really cannot think of an "iconic" dish for the state of Kansas.  The closest thing that comes to mind is White Castle hamburgers, since White Castle did originate here, but now it's headquartered in Ohio, and there aren't even any locations in Kansas anymore (there was one in Overland Park when I was growing up, though).  So I don't think White Castle hamburgers count any more as an iconic dish of Kansas than they do as an iconic dish of Ohio.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

Quote from: Ned Weasel on August 20, 2022, 05:40:27 PM

I can't blame you, though.  I don't even eat hot dogs anymore because processed red meat is really not good for anyone.  Nathan's was a treat when I was a kid on family vacations, however.

While I'm at it, I really cannot think of an "iconic" dish for the state of Kansas.  The closest thing that comes to mind is White Castle hamburgers, since White Castle did originate here, but now it's headquartered in Ohio, and there aren't even any locations in Kansas anymore (there was one in Overland Park when I was growing up, though).  So I don't think White Castle hamburgers count any more as an iconic dish of Kansas than they do as an iconic dish of Ohio.

Pizza Hut started in Wichita. It's my favorite chain pizza place since that's the pizza I always had growing up, but I think a lot of people would say Kansas shouldn't want to claim it :-D

hbelkins

Quote from: Ned Weasel on August 20, 2022, 04:25:11 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a Nathan's, although I have seen their products in stores. I like them.

At this point I would mention a fairly famous hot dog place in Toledo called Tony Packo's.

Near me, in Campton, Ky., there's a new place called Spank's Franks. I don't know what kind of hot dogs they serve, but most everyone who goes there gives it rave reviews.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Ned Weasel on August 20, 2022, 05:40:27 PM

Z-Man from KC Oklahoma Joe's?

J N Winkler

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PMKansas: corn

Kansas is more of a wheat producer (the corn belt lies further north, covering Nebraska and Iowa).  While Wichita in particular has a history as a chain restaurant incubator (besides Pizza Hut and White Castle, there is Freddy's Frozen Custard), I struggle to think of a prepared dish (as opposed to an agricultural staple) that is distinctively associated with the state.

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PMUK: tikka masala

Breaking this down into the four constituent countries:

England:  cheddar cheese, Scotch egg, Yorkshire pudding

Scotland:  oatmeal porridge; haggis, neeps, and tatties

Wales:  leeks, Welsh rarebit

Northern Ireland:  black sausage
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 21, 2022, 02:18:17 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PMKansas: corn

Kansas is more of a wheat producer (the corn belt lies further north, covering Nebraska and Iowa).  While Wichita in particular has a history as a chain restaurant incubator (besides Pizza Hut and White Castle, there is Freddy's Frozen Custard), I struggle to think of a prepared dish (as opposed to an agricultural staple) that is distinctively associated with the state.

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PMUK: tikka masala

Breaking this down into the four constituent countries:

Wales: Pasties, no?

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 21, 2022, 02:22:31 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on August 21, 2022, 02:18:17 PMBreaking this down into the four constituent countries:

Wales: Pasties, no?

There's a bit of a controversy about that!  The pasty has traditionally been associated with Cornwall, where it has a PGI designation (not sure what happened to that with Brexit), though Wales (where it is sometimes called an oggy) also lays claim to it.  They are both mining districts.  (Traditional rule of thumb for a true Cornish pasty:  it should stay intact when dropped down a mine shaft.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Dirt Roads

Missed one of the most important ones for North Carolina:

Eastern Carolina Fish Stew (all-day event):  huge cast iron cauldron over a fire; start with a huge mess of potatoes, after a few hours add some onions and more potatoes; after a few hours add some  more onions and more potatoes and add fish fillets (the locals Down East use sheepshead, others prefer rockfish); typical spices are salt, black pepper and something spicy (probably a whole bottle of Texas Pete); add a bunch of raw eggs on top and let the whole mess cook a while.  Locals have developed huge rituals around Fish Stew and its preparation, so I dare not venture into the variations.  But in all cases, it MUST be served in paper bowls.  No exceptions.  You generally have to use plastic spoons when eating, but there are a few exceptions.  Plain ole' white bread is the most common (and only) side dish, but some folks insist on fried cornbread (cast iron skillets, no doubt).

Also, I forgot an important detail about Triangle* BBQ (usually called Carolina Barbecue or Central Carolina Barbecue).  The pork shoulder is cooked in a huge smoker overnight over hickory coals until the meat gets an intense hickory flavor throughout.  Even the fancy restaurants find a way to make this happen.  This tradition started in the fabric and hosiery mills throughout Central Carolina, whereby the factory employed someone to stay up through the night and prepare the meat (in my wife's family, they call this "ham" in deference to the more proper term "picnic ham").  In some of these mills, the smell of hickory-smoked pork permeated the entire factory until lunchtime.  What-a-dream-job!

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PMEdit: lemme do this with every country

Afghanistan: kabuli palaw
Argentina: empanadas
Australian: meat pies
Austria: schnitzel
Azerbaijan: fancy tea
Bangladesh: balti (I forget whether that was invented in Bangladesh or in the UK)
Belgium: stroopwafels
Brazil: brigadeiro
Cambodia: amok
China: dumplings
Colombia: arepas
Czech Republic: cereal soup
Egypt: foul (fava bean paste)
El Salvador: pupusas
Ethiopia: injera
France: ratatouille
Germany: bratwurst
Ghana: red red
Greece: feta cheese
Haiti: soup joumou
Iceland: hakarl (rotten shark)
India: saag (not tikka masala since that was invented in the UK)
Indonesia: rendang
Ireland: corned beef
Israel: falafel
Italy: pasta
Jamaica: jerk chicken
Japan: sushi
Lebanon: kebab
Malaysia: cendol (which IIRC is in an ownership dispute)
Malta: rabbit soup
Nepal: momos
Netherlands: hutsput
New Zealand: pavlova (which, again, IIRC is an ownership dispute)
Nigeria: jollof rice
North Korea: cold noodle soup
Pakistan: karahi
Peru: ceviche
Philippines: adobo
Poland: pierogis
Portugal: pastel da nada
Russia: borscht
Singapore: chili crab (again, ownership dispute)
South Africa: braai
South Korea: kimchi
Spain: paella
Sweden: kottbullar (Swedish meatballs... well they're really from Turkey but, well...)
Switzerland: muesli
Thailand: Massaman curry
Turkey: baklava
UK: tikka masala
Ukraine: borshch
Uzbekistan: plov
Vietnam: pho

For my own country I'd go with a Spanish omelette. It should only contain eggs, potatoes, olive oil and salt; and maybe onion, but that is the subject of an ongoing civil war.

I think for the Divided Kingdom (as I know the UK :sombrero:) Fish and Chips ("chips" as in fries, not what they call "crisps") is a better fit.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PM
Alberta: poutine
British Columbia: poutine
Manitoba: poutine
Newfoundland and Labrador: poutine
Northwest Territories: poutine
Nova Scotia: poutine
Nunavut: poutine
Ontario: poutine
Quebec: poutine
Saskatchewan: poutine
Yukon: poutine

I was under the impression that poutine was a Quebec dish. I can see the other provinces with some French speakers (e.g. New Brunswick) being known for it, but not British Columbia or Alberta.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 22, 2022, 09:24:52 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on August 19, 2022, 05:30:00 PM
Alberta: poutine
British Columbia: poutine
Manitoba: poutine
Newfoundland and Labrador: poutine
Northwest Territories: poutine
Nova Scotia: poutine
Nunavut: poutine
Ontario: poutine
Quebec: poutine
Saskatchewan: poutine
Yukon: poutine

I was under the impression that poutine was a Quebec dish. I can see the other provinces with some French speakers (e.g. New Brunswick) being known for it, but not British Columbia or Alberta.

It's a Quebec dish first and foremost, but it's also just a Canadian thing in general, almost like burgers in the US.

It's popular in Manitoba too (and Ontario, although maybe a bit less so because the Toronto area is such a melting pot).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.