News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road foamers

Started by Mr. Matté, August 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you consider yourself a road "foamer?"

Yes
1 (3.8%)
No
25 (96.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Mr. Matté

I was listening to Howard Stern recently and he brought up railfans who practically go orgasmic over trains a.k.a "foamers." I think he was specifically referring to this clip.

Would anyone here consider themselves foamers over roads such as screaming for joy when you see an old sign, smelling freshly-paved roads, or hearing the hum of a grooved concrete highway?

For the record, I would say no.

AsphaltPlanet

Agreed on the no.

I like roads, construction, and driving, but within reason.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

NE2

Depends how old it is. I've certainly gone ape before.

Incidentally, for the benefit of the non-railfans, the "heritage units" referred to in the video are new locomotives painted to look like those of predecessor companies.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

NE2 and I went crazy over an NE2 shield when we saw the post - turned out to be a post with no NE 4 (that's New England Route) shield left on top. So it goes! In general, I reserve craziness for something I've waited years to see that's one of a kind. By and large, roads are cool, but I'd rather foam about the opposite sex :P (others' mileage may vary on gender)

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on August 07, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
NE2 and I went crazy over an NE2 shield when we saw the post - turned out to be a post with no NE 4 (that's New England Route) shield left on top. So it goes! In general, I reserve craziness for something I've waited years to see that's one of a kind. By and large, roads are cool, but I'd rather foam about the opposite sex :P (others' mileage may vary on gender)

When foaming, it is recommended to abstain from sexual intercourse and to seek immediate medical attention.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

My reaction is usually to just get out and take a picture.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

Quote from: Takumi on August 07, 2012, 07:34:07 PM
My reaction is usually to just get out and take a picture.

This is the case with me as well. If I see an old sign, or a new one that just popped up, it usually surprises me, but I don't scream at the top of my lungs yelling "LOOK AT THAT OLD/NEW SIGN!" and jump up and down like a kid in a candy store.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

I'll go "OH SHIT" when I see something VERY rare (like a non-faded red triangle Autoroute des Cantons-de-l'Est shield, or button copy in Québec). But that's about it.

I may do a U-turn to reshoot an interesting sign or bridge I've missed.

I clinch roads.

But I don't act foolish or otherwise look like I stain my pants looking at road signs and bridges. So no.

Same with trains, BTW, since I'm a railfan too.

NYYPhil777

Whenever I see new roads being built or something really interesting on my road trips, I just take pictures.
So my answer is: No, I'm not a road foamer.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

hbelkins

I'll get excited about a find occasionally, especially sign goofs and really old signs.

Seeing an old "US 74" sign in Norton, Va., recently caused a slight episode of salivation. The fact that I've been in that town a zillion times and have photographed most of the cutouts there, yet missed that one somehow, made it doubly sweet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 07, 2012, 05:03:04 PM
I was listening to Howard Stern recently and he brought up railfans who practically go orgasmic over trains a.k.a "foamers." I think he was specifically referring to this clip.

Would anyone here consider themselves foamers over roads such as screaming for joy when you see an old sign, smelling freshly-paved roads, or hearing the hum of a grooved concrete highway?

"Foamer" is actually a term used by serious railfans to describe other railfans who exhibit immature, irresponsible, or dangerous behavior while watching and/or photographing trains.  Like the YouTube clip that made the rounds a few months back of the guy who nearly got hit by a CSX freight because he was right on the edge of the tracks photographing a train coming in the other direction.

If a roadgeek were to do something like stop their car in the middle of an Interstate with traffic going by them at high speed in order to photograph an overhead button copy BGS, they would qualify as a "foamer".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on August 07, 2012, 11:09:28 PM
I'll get excited about a find occasionally, especially sign goofs and really old signs.

Seeing an old "US 74" sign in Norton, Va., recently caused a slight episode of salivation. The fact that I've been in that town a zillion times and have photographed most of the cutouts there, yet missed that one somehow, made it doubly sweet.

are you saying there's a state-to-US error cutout still surviving?

we have a photo of a US-16 from 1991... but this is another 21 years later!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

I wouldn't describe myself as a foamer, but there are some things that provoke me to open displays of elation ranging from rubbing my hands, shouting "Yes!" or dancing in a circle:

*  Another state DOT starts putting letting plans online (just discovered one this afternoon--Oregon DOT)

*  One of the state DOTs or other highway agencies I follow advertises a major sign replacement contract (a few years ago the French transport ministry advertised a major signing contract for the free autoroutes in Alsace-Lorraine, which had 403 sign design sheets--all pattern-accurate)

*  I discover an online as-builts archive from an agency where the signing plans were routinely pattern-accurate in the past
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beltway

What about feeling like puking if you see something road-related that you don't like ... is that "foamer" behavior?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 08, 2012, 11:59:41 AM
are you saying there's a state-to-US error cutout still surviving?

we have a photo of a US-16 from 1991... but this is another 21 years later!

No, it's not a cutout. It's actually a wide 24x30 sign but is not one of the signs made with reflective sheeting, but of the generation prior. I haven't processed and uploaded pics from the trip yet, but I will.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I did run a couple of laps around the room when I first heard about the meat cleaver in '06.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mamba205

Me!!! I am a Road Foamer. Particularly true for me is the going crazy over hearing your tires hum on the grooved concrete highways or bridges. And I do enjoy seeing freshly paved roads, especially hot-mix asphalt...only as long as it is not covering up the grooved concrete that makes your tires whistle and rumble. The best states for hearing your tires sing are Indiana, parts of Illinois, and Florida.

Mamba205

Quote from: roadman on August 08, 2012, 11:30:56 AM

"Foamer" is actually a term used by serious railfans to describe other railfans who exhibit immature, irresponsible, or dangerous behavior while watching and/or photographing trains.  Like the YouTube clip that made the rounds a few months back of the guy who nearly got hit by a CSX freight because he was right on the edge of the tracks photographing a train coming in the other direction.

If a roadgeek were to do something like stop their car in the middle of an Interstate with traffic going by them at high speed in order to photograph an overhead button copy BGS, they would qualify as a "foamer".

I have parked on the shoulder to record the sound of other's tires rolling over the grooves cut across the concrete for drainage, and I record the sound from my own tires while driving. The sounds that come from the tires on the grooved concrete highways can be very interesting sounding depending on how far apart the grooves are and the particular pattern they are in. However, I have not stopped in the middle of the road, because I don't want to die or block traffic. One of my friends is a rail fan, and he walks onto the tracks. That is too scary for me. What if your foot gets stuck in the tracks?!?!?!

bugo

I'm not a railfan but I've walked down tracks before.  It's not scary at all.

Mamba205

Quote from: bugo on January 25, 2013, 09:06:52 PM
I'm not a railfan but I've walked down tracks before.  It's not scary at all.

I could hear the train horn!

cjk374

If you think that rail foamer was bad, check THIS guy out  :pan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1GnG5dwCqs

It's foamers like these that give all railfans and the rail hobby a bad rap.  They are a danger to themselves and others. 

I notice things like new signs, missing signs, & other details about some of the roads I travel regularly, but I don't go ape about it.  Same with locomotives & the paint jobs, & other railroad details.  If a steam locomotive comes through the area (it will usually be one of UP's steamers), I'll take the day off from work & spend the day chasing it.  Part of that adventure is trying not to get run over by the rail foamers driving like maniacs trying to keep up with the steamer.   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Mamba205

Quote from: cjk374 on January 26, 2013, 11:06:59 AM

If you think that rail foamer was bad, check THIS guy out  :pan:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1GnG5dwCqs

It's foamers like these that give all railfans and the rail hobby a bad rap.  They are a danger to themselves and others. 

I notice things like new signs, missing signs, & other details about some of the roads I travel regularly, but I don't go ape about it.  Same with locomotives & the paint jobs, & other railroad details.  If a steam locomotive comes through the area (it will usually be one of UP's steamers), I'll take the day off from work & spend the day chasing it.  Part of that adventure is trying not to get run over by the rail foamers driving like maniacs trying to keep up with the steamer.   :nod:

Yeah, he sounded a little too enthusiastic. The best part was, "Ah, ah, ohhhh my goodness" in the most flamboyant voice ever.

Post Merge: January 26, 2013, 12:15:04 PM

I just realized it was a parody.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

AsphaltPlanet

An easily excited roadgeek.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cjk374

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 26, 2013, 12:25:59 PM
What's a road foamer? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on January 26, 2013, 12:32:14 PM
An easily excited roadgeek.

A road geek who is WAAAAAAYYYY to easily excited into such an orgasmic state that said road geek explodes all over himself.   :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.