Delaware Road Meet - 12/16/17

Started by Alex, November 27, 2017, 08:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Based upon the potential parking issues with the Farmers Market, and the easier access with Interstate 95, the meet up location has changed to the I-95 Service Area.

Will be heading north for the holidays and am organizing a mini road meet for Saturday December 16. The main focus of the day will be checking out the U.S. 301 toll road construction around Middletown and north to Biddles Corner. Am coordinating with Alex4897 about possible tour stops to check out the work.

I am also open to incorporating other projects or road points of interest.

With Steve requesting it, I tentatively plan on us getting together at the New Castle County Farmer's Market, located on the northeast corner of US 13/40 (Dupont Highway) and DE 273 at Hares Corner. My long time friend Donna has a booth there and usually has several boxes of road maps, license plates and other things of interest. If the weather is really bad (i.e. very windy or raining), another option is to meet up at the Newark Service Plaza on I-95. There's a lounge area on the north side of the building with several tables and chairs. Will consider food options as we get closer.

Since daylight will be at a minimum (sunset in northern Delaware will be around 4:45), will aim to get together at 11am. But can move that back to accommodate anyone that wants to come from out of state. I also will be bringing at least one bin of road maps (lots of regional maps from the 60s/70s), vintage travel brochures, etc. my old boss gave me to give away to anyone interested. May add to that if I get time to sort through the rest in the next two weeks.

Alps

I requested nothing! I only request input to meal location.

Alex

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2017, 11:47:58 PM
I requested nothing! I only request input to meal location.

Heh.

Well certainly not opting for the Dog House on US 13/40 this year. Alex, Ian and I went there last year and there was no available seating. I went back again a few days later with Kelly and still no seating. When you, Rob and I went there in 2013, we were lucky to find three stools in a row.

Still would love to try a Roadgeek BBQ concept, but not during the winter months!

US71

Interested, but not likely. I don't handle cold weather well.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

As indicated privately, and hinted at in this post, I do plan to attend, barring bad weather or health problems. I have had to miss other meets this year either due to health issues or not having enough leave days to attend because of said health issues, so I figure I can make up for that since I have accrued enough leave time to make the drive.

As indicated in my Road Trips board post, I'm looking to get US 360 clinched. This will involve traveling north on the US 301 corridor. I'm trying to find lodging options for Friday and Saturday nights somewhere along 301 that will be a couple of hours out (maybe 90 minutes since the start time is 10 a.m. and I'm not a morning person). I'm also hoping to avoid I-95 so my preference is to use US 301 and cross the Bay Bridge and venture to Delaware via that route. The idea is to spend both nights at the same place, drive up to the meet Saturday morning and return to my lodging that evening.

Any suggestions on lodging? Most of the options in Annapolis are too pricey for my preferences. There's a Sleep Inn near the 50/301 split on the Eastern Shore that might work, but I'm open to recommendations. I had thought about Waldorf, but the drive might be a little far.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

This one's close enough for me to do a day-trip.  I'm interested in attending.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Very interested here as well. I'll be in Buffalo 2 days before, so I could just swing down on my way home (new mileage!) and I might finally be able to grab US 9 on the way home. Depends mainly on weather.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

I may be able to head down for this one!

The only issue with the Farmers Market location will be Christmas shopping traffic (not that any other location will be much better).  Otherwise, I'm fine with it...been by there a few gazillion times; never been in there.

A spot that I always found interesting to view, but no actual road work to look at or near as far as I know, is on DE 9 Augustine Beach Access Area...pretty much due east of the 301 construction.   The view is of the Hope Creek Nuclear Generating Station across the river in NJ.  Also in this area is a small bit of land on the NJ side of the river that's actually Delaware jurisdiction.

For those in the area Friday or Saturday night, and who enjoy looking at Christmas lights, there's a large display on Rt. 71 (Red Lion Rd) just south of the 1/13 interchange in Bear.  Looking it up to make sure they still do the lights, I found out an older person walked out of their car to view the lights and directly into the path of a moving car, sadly killing him.  There's a few other large displays in the area as well.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 28, 2017, 10:08:00 AM
As indicated privately, and hinted at in this post, I do plan to attend, barring bad weather or health problems. I have had to miss other meets this year either due to health issues or not having enough leave days to attend because of said health issues, so I figure I can make up for that since I have accrued enough leave time to make the drive.

As indicated in my Road Trips board post, I'm looking to get US 360 clinched. This will involve traveling north on the US 301 corridor. I'm trying to find lodging options for Friday and Saturday nights somewhere along 301 that will be a couple of hours out (maybe 90 minutes since the start time is 10 a.m. and I'm not a morning person). I'm also hoping to avoid I-95 so my preference is to use US 301 and cross the Bay Bridge and venture to Delaware via that route. The idea is to spend both nights at the same place, drive up to the meet Saturday morning and return to my lodging that evening.

Any suggestions on lodging? Most of the options in Annapolis are too pricey for my preferences. There's a Sleep Inn near the 50/301 split on the Eastern Shore that might work, but I'm open to recommendations. I had thought about Waldorf, but the drive might be a little far.

Ever looked into Airbnb? I have a friend who swears by them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Try some of the coastal communities for cheap lodging, either on the bays or the ocean. December is the off season and rates are quite low. Don't know what the US 301 corridor is like, but the DE 1 corridor is ridiculously cheap that weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

briantroutman

Since it's basically local to me, I'm interested in attending. I'm not absolutely sure of my schedule that day (work projects, impending deadlines, etc.), but the probability of my attendance is greater than 50%.

Quote from: US71 on November 28, 2017, 12:22:19 PM
Ever looked into Airbnb? I have a friend who swears by them.

If we're talking about an alternative to a sub-$75 Super 8 or Days Inn, I don't think Airbnb is a particularly attractive option. It's a good way to rent a house, especially in vacation destinations, and it's also good for renting an urban apartment with a full kitchen at the same price (or less) than a hotel room in the same city. Though I prefer the hotel experience when traveling, I'll admit that I've had good experiences at Airbnb rentals–but in nearly all of those cases, the Airbnb rental was being operated as a business, completely separate from the owner's main residence.

But in rural areas with few attractions, Airbnb's stock gets thin and somewhat sketchy. And at that low of a price point, many listings are just on-site homeowners looking to make a few extra bucks by renting out their spare bedroom–which in some cases may share a bathroom with the homeowner. Some may be just as happy with that arrangement, but I would rather a hotel with greater privacy.

hbelkins

Re: lodging discussion

My plan is to clinch US 360 on this trip, as I would rather take a southern route and avoid the possibility of bad weather along I-68.

I'll be leaving my outpost in Kentucky on Thursday afternoon and driving to somewhere in southwestern Virginia, as every routing source I've looked at suggests US 58 east from Hillsville as the best route to get to Danville and start on 360.

Once I get to Richmond, I'll evaluate how much daylight I have left. If I have enough to continue on to Reedville, I will, then head back to the US 301 corridor to cross the Potomac. If daylight is starting to run low, I'll take I-95 or US 301 out of Richmond and then head north on 301 into Maryland, and come back to 360 on Sunday.

There's no way I could get to the coast before dark on Friday, and as stated elsewhere, I want to be somewhere between 90 and 120 minutes out from the meet site on Friday night, and return to that location on Saturday night.

A BNB of any description is not really what I'm looking for in terms of two nights' lodging. I'm surprised at how little there is around Bowie, and as I said, Annapolis is pricey.

jeffandnicole

Would someplace in Delaware work, say around Newark, Middletown or Dover?  Or is that too far from where you'll want to be Friday afternoon?

briantroutman

With the meet beginning in northern DE, I think your best option would be to stay on I-95 and spend the night in Elkton, MD. At Exit 109, there's a Days Inn, Knights Inn, and Motel 6 with rates between $55 and $65 on those nights. That would put you within a 30-minute drive of the start of the meet–wherever that may be.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2017, 01:21:32 PM
Would someplace in Delaware work, say around Newark, Middletown or Dover?  Or is that too far from where you'll want to be Friday afternoon?

If I can get there before dark, great. But realistically, I know that's not really an option.

Quote from: briantroutman on November 28, 2017, 01:31:07 PM
With the meet beginning in northern DE, I think your best option would be to stay on I-95 and spend the night in Elkton, MD. At Exit 109, there's a Days Inn, Knights Inn, and Motel 6 with rates between $55 and $65 on those nights. That would put you within a 30-minute drive of the start of the meet–wherever that may be.

I'd prefer to stay off I-95, which is why I plan to use US 301 and cross the Bay Bridge. Traffic won't be nearly as bad.

cl94

What about US 40? Cross at the Key Bridge or go around/through Baltimore, maybe stay in Havre De Grace (few hotels on US 40 in that area that are cheap). You can get US 301 heading back west. The Bay Bridge on a Friday afternoon will be quite congested if you were using that to avoid traffic.

dgolub

What would the meet cover?  I was down there back over Memorial Day weekend and clinched the current US 301.  Trying to figure out whether or not there'd be anything.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on November 28, 2017, 03:14:07 PM
What about US 40? Cross at the Key Bridge or go around/through Baltimore, maybe stay in Havre De Grace (few hotels on US 40 in that area that are cheap). You can get US 301 heading back west. The Bay Bridge on a Friday afternoon will be quite congested if you were using that to avoid traffic.

How is 40 northeast of I-695? Stop-and-go with lots of signals?

I probably wouldn't be crossing the Bay Bridge until early Saturday morning unless I opt for the Sleep Inn at Grasonville as my overnight stay. I'm not finding anything reasonably priced on Kent Island.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2017, 02:59:52 PM
[/quote]

Mostly expressway grade with interchanges for major crossroads. Generally has a 55 MPH limit. If current traffic is any guide, it's not much slower than taking I-95.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on November 29, 2017, 03:12:23 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 29, 2017, 02:59:52 PM

Mostly expressway grade with interchanges for major crossroads. Generally has a 55 MPH limit. If current traffic is any guide, it's not much slower than taking I-95.
Eh, I think you're overselling it. The lights aren't timed in progression so while they're only one every mile or two, you'll tend to get stuck at a lot of them. It's definitely considerably slower than 95 where traffic moves at 70 mph consistently.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2017, 06:40:10 PMIt's definitely considerably slower than 95 where traffic moves at 70 mph consistently.

:-D

It does?

Every time I have been on 95 between Baltimore and the Delaware state line, there has been an incident where traffic was slowed considerably or stopped. I would expect Friday late afternoon traffic to be of a similar nature.

I'll definitely be coming up US 301 from Virginia, so the decision point would be the US 50 interchange. I fully expect it be at or near dark when I get there, which is why I'm seeking lodging somewhere in this general area.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2017, 06:40:10 PM
Eh, I think you're overselling it. The lights aren't timed in progression so while they're only one every mile or two, you'll tend to get stuck at a lot of them. It's definitely considerably slower than 95 where traffic moves at 70 mph consistently.

Concur with Steve - especially in Baltimore County and Harford County   There are plenty of signals along U.S. 40 (Pulaski Highway) for which  you will have to stop.

There are two fairly urban areas passing through the municipalities of Aberdeen and Havre de Grace too.  And both have municipal police that I have seen doing speed limit enforcement on U.S. 40.

Only in Cecil County (beyond the Hatem (toll) Bridge)  does the pace generally improve.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Regardless of how you go in MD, expect speed cameras on surface roads in cities. Waze is your friend there - saved my butt a few times in Maryland and DC.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 30, 2017, 01:18:54 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2017, 06:40:10 PM

Concur with Steve - especially in Baltimore County and Harford County   There are plenty of signals along U.S. 40 (Pulaski Highway) for which  you will have to stop.

There are two fairly urban areas passing through the municipalities of Aberdeen and Havre de Grace too.  And both have municipal police that I have seen doing speed limit enforcement on U.S. 40.

Only in Cecil County (beyond the Hatem (toll) Bridge)  does the pace generally improve.

Didn't realize US 40 was so bad. In that case, what's US 40 like on a Saturday? Asking because I was planning to use it to get down to TRB (new mileage and shunpike Delaware).

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on November 30, 2017, 09:24:09 AM
Quote from: Alps on November 29, 2017, 06:40:10 PMIt's definitely considerably slower than 95 where traffic moves at 70 mph consistently.

:-D

It does?

Every time I have been on 95 between Baltimore and the Delaware state line, there has been an incident where traffic was slowed considerably or stopped. I would expect Friday late afternoon traffic to be of a similar nature.

I'll definitely be coming up US 301 from Virginia, so the decision point would be the US 50 interchange. I fully expect it be at or near dark when I get there, which is why I'm seeking lodging somewhere in this general area.
I missed the Friday afternoon bit. You'll probably want to steer clear of DC and Baltimore at that time.

jpi

Despite the fact that Steph and I will be in central PA (and a side trip to Niagara Falls) the week leading up to this mini meet, we probably won't make it since we will be driving back to TN that day, I have seen some of the construction this past February and I am sure at some point I will make a trip back to the area to see the progress.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.