News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 42

Started by LM117, May 27, 2016, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Update on the Gallants Channel Bridge project.

http://publicradioeast.org/post/gallants-channel-bridge-beaufort-nears-completion

QuoteThe 65 foot, high-rise bridge is on track to open this fall, at least partially. Senior Assistant Resident Engineer for the State Department of Transportation Rhett Gerald says the span over Gallants Channel will open for a two lane, two way traffic pattern while crews finish construction.

"We'll have traffic in that phase for probably about four or five months, and then we'll have the complete project finished and that includes the Turner Street bridge and have traffic in a four lane pattern."

Currently, DOT crews are working on the architectural rail for the Turner Street bridge and completing the tie-ins on the west and east portions of the project. The 66.4 million dollar Gallants Channel bridge replacement has experienced some minor setbacks since construction started in early 2014, pushing completion back a couple of months. The entire project, which includes the removal of the old bridge and final traffic patterns is slated for early 2019.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

According to AASHTO's minutes from their recent fall meeting, NCDOT did not request I-42 shields for the Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses.

LM117

Part of the Goldsboro Bypass has been named the John H. Kerr III Highway.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/10/18/governor_to_attend_naming_ceremony/

QuoteA ceremony dedicating a section of the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass as the John H. Kerr III Highway will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 3.

Gov. Roy Cooper is expected to attend the ceremony to be held in Courtroom No. 1 in the Wayne County Courthouse.

Kerr's sons, John H. Kerr IV and James Y. Kerr II, will speak.

Wayne County Commissioner Wayne Aycock will speak on behalf of the county.

The 5-mile section of bypass to be dedicated in memory of Kerr stretches from the highway's interchange with Interstate 795 to U.S. 13.

The ceremony was announced Tuesday morning during the commissioners' meeting.

The late Kerr, one of the most powerful members of the state General Assembly, championed improvements to state infrastructure including the bypass and the I-795 designation for a four-lane U.S. 117 between Goldsboro and Wilson.

Gus Tulloss of Rocky Mount, who represents District Four on the state Board of Transportation, made the motion in June to name the section in memory of Kerr.

The DOT Board unanimously approved the motion.

Born in Warrenton, Kerr was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, president of the junior class, treasurer of the student body and president of the Order of the Grail.

After receiving his bachelor's degree, Kerr attended the University of North Carolina Law School, receiving a law degree with honors in 1961.

He was first elected to the state House of Representatives in 1986, serving three terms before being elected to the state Senate, where he served from 1992 until 2008.

In their resolution to the state seeking the designation, commissioners praised Kerr for his dedication on focusing attention on the need to bolster eastern North Carolina's infrastructure -- including the need for improvements for water, sewer, natural gas and roads.

The resolution added that Kerr dedicated his life to his family, Madison Avenue Baptist Church, numerous boards, civic organizations -- causes that touched the lives of the people and communities in North Carolina and especially in eastern North Carolina.

Kerr received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the state's highest civilian honor, and a plaque of appreciation from the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center for his leadership in providing financial assistance on water and sewer projects for struggling communities across the state.

LM117

After taking their sweet time, the US-70 Corridor Commission has posted the minutes of their July 20 meeting. Noteworthy mention is that the let date for construction of the Havelock Bypass has been pushed back to 2019 instead of 2018 due to ongoing negotiations between NCDOT and the SELC.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/Meeting-Minutes-July_2017.pdf

The director's report for August & September has also been posted, which also includes an updated map of the projects along US-70.

Apparently, there have been concerns/complaints from business owners because of the reduced weight limits for trucks that will go into effect once US-70 begins to be added to the Interstate system as I-42.

http://www.super70corridor.com/wp-content/uploads/Aug_Sept_2017-Directors-Report.pdf

froggie

^ So do they want an Interstate or do they want to run too-heavy trucks?

LM117

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2017, 08:22:38 AM
^ So do they want an Interstate or do they want to run too-heavy trucks?

Both. From the looks of it, I would expect some effort by the Commission to get the local Congressional delegation to introduce a bill in Congress to allow the heavy trucks to continue using I-42, similar to what Wisconsin pushed through for I-41. This may also explain why the Commission hasn't (yet) pressed for I-42 to be signed in Clayton and Goldsboro the way Raleigh had for I-87.

LM117

A new interchange at the former US-70/US-70 Business intersection east of Smithfield will open to traffic this Monday. An aerial view of the interchange can be seen on the webpage.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14561

QuoteBeginning next week, travelers on U.S. 70 east of Smithfield will encounter changes that improve the safety and flow of traffic.

The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to open by Monday, Nov. 6, a new interchange and overpass where U.S. 70 and U.S. 70 Business once intersected. With its construction, traffic on the two-lane road will cross over the main highway, allowing motorists to enter or exit U.S. 70 via new ramps.

Once the new interchange is open, contract crews will close the median crossover at nearby Firetower Road. Eliminating the crossover will require motorists on Firetower Road to turn right onto the highway, or to use the new interchange to go in the other direction toward Smithfield.

More improvements are coming over the next month along the same two-mile stretch of U.S. 70. Crews with Flatiron Constructors Inc. of Broomfield, Colo., are also building an interchange with an overpass and ramps at the highway's intersection with Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road.

After the Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel interchange opens the middle of this month, NCDOT will close two crossover medians between the two new interchanges: One location is at Pine Street, and the other is the Peedin Road/Creeches Mill Road intersection at U.S. 70. Closing the crossover medians will improve safety by reducing the risk of collisions.

This section of U.S. 70 has an average of more than 29,000 vehicles a day — a figure expected to reach 45,000 vehicles by 2035. Motorists on the side streets now have to stop and wait for traffic to clear. The $16.7 million project began in 2015 and is scheduled to be completed by February 2018.

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on November 03, 2017, 04:45:33 PM
A new interchange at the former US-70/US-70 Business intersection east of Smithfield will open to traffic this Monday. An aerial view of the interchange can be seen on the webpage.

QuoteBeginning next week, travelers on U.S. 70 east of Smithfield will encounter changes that improve the safety and flow of traffic.

The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to open by Monday, Nov. 6, a new interchange and overpass where U.S. 70 and U.S. 70 Business once intersected. With its construction, traffic on the two-lane road will cross over the main highway, allowing motorists to enter or exit U.S. 70 via new ramps.

Once the new interchange is open, contract crews will close the median crossover at nearby Firetower Road. Eliminating the crossover will require motorists on Firetower Road to turn right onto the highway, or to use the new interchange to go in the other direction toward Smithfield.

More improvements are coming over the next month along the same two-mile stretch of U.S. 70. Crews with Flatiron Constructors Inc. of Broomfield, Colo., are also building an interchange with an overpass and ramps at the highway's intersection with Davis Mill Road/Stevens Chapel Road.

After the Davis Mill/Stevens Chapel interchange opens the middle of this month, NCDOT will close two crossover medians between the two new interchanges: One location is at Pine Street, and the other is the Peedin Road/Creeches Mill Road intersection at U.S. 70. Closing the crossover medians will improve safety by reducing the risk of collisions.

This section of U.S. 70 has an average of more than 29,000 vehicles a day — a figure expected to reach 45,000 vehicles by 2035. Motorists on the side streets now have to stop and wait for traffic to clear. The $16.7 million project began in 2015 and is scheduled to be completed by February 2018.
This is a significant improvement to US 70, but it does not bring this section of highway up to interstate standard. The project was planned well before the decision to upgrade US 70 to I-42. Three at-grade intersections will remain on this section; left turns will be prevented but there will still be right turning vehicles. So further construction will be needed here in the future.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 03, 2017, 06:24:13 PM
Quote from: LM117 on November 03, 2017, 04:45:33 PM

This is a significant improvement to US 70, but it does not bring this section of highway up to interstate standard. The project was planned well before the decision to upgrade US 70 to I-42. Three at-grade intersections will remain on this section; left turns will be prevented but there will still be right turning vehicles. So further construction will be needed here in the future.

It's likely a temporary safety measure until NCDOT gets around to the full freeway conversion on the scale that they're planning for the stretch between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and the Johnston County line.

But yes, it's still a much needed improvement compared to what it was before.

LM117

NCDOT will be hosting an upcoming public meeting on December 7 in Princeton to discuss upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Holts Lake just west of Princeton.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/11/17/hearing_to_look_at_us_70_project/

QuoteA $130.5 million project to bring U.S. 70 up to freeway standards will be the subject of a Dec. 7, public meeting at Grace Baptist Church in Princeton. The time has not yet been announced.

The plan calls for U.S. 70 to be upgraded from the west end of the new U.S. 70 Bypass to Holts Lake in Johnston County by eliminating at-grade intersections and driveway connections.

Jiles Harrell, N.C. Department of Transportation District 3 engineer, provided an update on that project and several others Wednesday during the Wayne County Transportation Committee meeting at the Goldsboro Event Center.

"What we are going to do (at the meeting), we will show the overall plan, what we are looking to do on that piece of the (U.S. 70) corridor," Harrell said. "At certain interchanges, strategic places, we may have some alternates that need to be considered.

"So we are seeking public opinion on those alternates. We have a couple of interchange alternatives that we are going to look at for Princeton itself, and then they will get to see where we are proposing to have an additional interchange between the end of the bypass and Princeton."

Maps at the meeting also will show service road tie-ins, Harrell said.

"It is going to be fully controlled access," he said. "It will be up to Interstate standards when we do that project. We hope to be moving toward construction in 2022 providing we can get everything straightened out and together."

Comments from the public will be used as the state moves forward with design, Harrell said.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on November 17, 2017, 08:51:39 AM
NCDOT will be hosting an upcoming public meeting on December 7 in Princeton to discuss upgrading US-70 to interstate standards between the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass and Holts Lake just west of Princeton.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/11/17/hearing_to_look_at_us_70_project/

The timing of this meeting has been announced.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14615

QuoteGOLDSBORO — State transportation officials are seeking public comment on plans for upgrading sections of U.S. 70 in Wayne and Johnston Counties into interstate standards.

The N.C. Department of Transportation will hold an informal open house from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 7, at Grace Baptist Church at 220 Barden St. in Princeton, where the public may learn more about the $130.5 million proposed project and offer comments.

The 6.7-mile section of U.S. 70 that would be improved is between the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass in Wayne County and west of Pondfield Road in Johnston County. The project would potentially include three new interchanges with overpasses and ramps, as well as new service roads. More information as it becomes available will be posted on the NCDOT website.

The deadline to submit comments is Jan. 8, 2018.

To send comments, or seek additional information about the proposed project, the public may contact Debbie Barbour, a consultant project engineer, at Debbie.Barbour@kisingercampo.com or 919-882-7839, ext. 5101; or Matt Clarke, NCDOT project engineer for Division 4, at wmclarke@ncdot.gov, P.O. Box 3165, Wilson N.C., 27895 or 252-640-6419.

Here are the maps:

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/R-5829AB_WayneCountyMapArea.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/R-5829AB_EastPrinceton-DrDonnieJonesEastMap.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/R-5829AB_WestPrinceton-DrDonnieJonesWestMap.pdf

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/projects/publichearings/R-5829AB_WestPrinceton-US70-AInterchangeMap.pdf

Interstate 69 Fan

So, no upgrading from Princeton westward for now...?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 27, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
Expect a hearing on that section in the not-too-distant future.

LM117

Not yet. But on the flipside, an interchange at Davis Mill Road near Pine Level should be opening anytime and there are two more interchange projects lined up near Wilsons Mills at Swift Creek Road and Wilsons Mills Road. Once those interchanges are built and US-70 is upgraded between Goldsboro and Princeton, there shouldn't be any traffic lights between I-40 and Willie Measley Road east of La Grange.

Having those interchanges built beforehand makes upgrading the rest of US-70"s substandard features (at-grades, shoulders, etc.) much easier whenever NCDOT gets around to it. NCDOT is also seriously considering building a direct interchange with I-95 in Selma, which I think should be done.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 27, 2017, 06:42:24 PM
Expect a hearing on that section in the not-too-distant future.

I agree. NCDOT has been very eager to get US-70 upgraded between Goldsboro and the Clayton Bypass. The aformentioned US-70 interstate upgrade project was originally supposed to end at the Wayne/Johnston county line, but that's obviously changed. I'm definitely not complaining.

orulz

Quote from: LM117 on November 27, 2017, 06:49:26 PM

Not yet. But on the flipside, an interchange at Davis Mill Road near Pine Level should be opening anytime and there are two more interchange projects lined up near Wilsons Mills at Swift Creek Road and Wilsons Mills Road. Once those interchanges are built and US-70 is upgraded between Goldsboro and Princeton, there shouldn't be any traffic lights between I-40 and Willie Measley Road east of La Grange.

Having those interchanges built beforehand makes upgrading the rest of US-70"s substandard features (at-grades, shoulders, etc.) much easier whenever NCDOT gets around to it. NCDOT is also seriously considering building a direct interchange with I-95 in Selma, which I think should be done.

The Davis Mill interchange was open when I drove through there over the Thanksgiving holiday. I did note that some of the ramps on those two new interchanges have speeds posted at 15mph, which seems rather tight and probably doesn't meet interstate standards.

After the projects you mention, Willie Measley/Jim Sutton will be the lone stoplight left between I-40 and (I think) Newport that is not being addressed by one of the three already-programmed major bypass projects, in Kinston, James City, and Havelock. I have to imagine there will be a great deal of pressure to expedite the interchange there (STIP ID#: R-5813).

On the flip side, once the stoplights are gone and the bypasses are built, I expect the grunt work to upgrade the corridor to a full interstate will move very slowly. Upgrading shoulders isn't likely to be controversial, but removing driveways and building service roads where needed will be expensive and painful with lots of impacts to businesses and property. This will test NCDOT's mettle; are they really serious about making this an interstate, or will they lose their motivation once we have a "Future Interstate" with no stoplights?

LM117

Quote from: orulz on November 27, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
The Davis Mill interchange was open when I drove through there over the Thanksgiving holiday. I did note that some of the ramps on those two new interchanges have speeds posted at 15mph, which seems rather tight and probably doesn't meet interstate standards.

You can't be serious. 15mph ramps on a high speed corridor? Who thought that was a good idea? :banghead: Oh well, at least the lights are gone I suppose...

QuoteAfter the projects you mention, Willie Measley/Jim Sutton will be the lone stoplight left between I-40 and (I think) Newport that is not being addressed by one of the three already-programmed major bypass projects, in Kinston, James City, and Havelock. I have to imagine there will be a great deal of pressure to expedite the interchange there (STIP ID#: R-5813).

I agree. There's already been talk about a new interchange there. As for Newport, it was supposed to be bypassed by the Northern Carteret Bypass, but I don't think it's even being considered anymore. NCDOT hasn't mentioned it in years and the US-70 Corridor Commission has been silent about it for a long time now. That bypass isn't shown on the US-70 corridor maps anymore.

QuoteOn the flip side, once the stoplights are gone and the bypasses are built, I expect the grunt work to upgrade the corridor to a full interstate will move very slowly. Upgrading shoulders isn't likely to be controversial, but removing driveways and building service roads where needed will be expensive and painful with lots of impacts to businesses and property. This will test NCDOT's mettle; are they really serious about making this an interstate, or will they lose their motivation once we have a "Future Interstate" with no stoplights?

I think NCDOT is very eager to get I-42 signed from Goldsboro to I-40 (boneheaded 15mph interchange ramps notwithstanding). They also want to upgrade US-70 through James City. Once those are done, I think that's when things will slow down, since those sections carry the most traffic.

Henry

At least NC will have this one by itself, unlike the failed I-73 and I-74 projects. It would be nice to have another high-speed drive from Raleigh to the coast available.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

Quote from: orulz on November 27, 2017, 11:32:09 PM

After the projects you mention, Willie Measley/Jim Sutton will be the lone stoplight left between I-40 and (I think) Newport that is not being addressed by one of the three already-programmed major bypass projects, in Kinston, James City, and Havelock. I have to imagine there will be a great deal of pressure to expedite the interchange there (STIP ID#: R-5813).

On the flip side, once the stoplights are gone and the bypasses are built, I expect the grunt work to upgrade the corridor to a full interstate will move very slowly. Upgrading shoulders isn't likely to be controversial, but removing driveways and building service roads where needed will be expensive and painful with lots of impacts to businesses and property. This will test NCDOT's mettle; are they really serious about making this an interstate, or will they lose their motivation once we have a "Future Interstate" with no stoplights?
It's worth mentioning again that this project was designed before the big push to upgrade US 70 to an interstate got serious. From this point forward, I'd expect every US 70 project to meet interstate standards.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 28, 2017, 06:25:39 PMIt's worth mentioning again that this project was designed before the big push to upgrade US 70 to an interstate got serious. From this point forward, I'd expect every US 70 project to meet interstate standards.

How far back was it designed? The Goldsboro Bypass was in development as far back as the mid-1990's (R.O.D. was issued in 1998) and it was designed to be built to interstate standards before the idea to turn US-70 into an interstate came to fruition. Same with the Clayton Bypass.

The push for I-shields may have been recent, but the concept of turning US-70 into an interstate-grade freeway goes back further than that, which brings me back to my point that it didn't make sense for NCDOT to build those substandard interchanges only to have to go back and upgrade them later.

But as I said before, at least the traffic lights are gone, so it's still a step up (albeit a small one).

orulz

Quote from: LM117 on November 29, 2017, 07:23:49 AM
The push for I-shields may have been recent, but the concept of turning US-70 into an interstate-grade freeway goes back further than that, which brings me back to my point that it didn't make sense for NCDOT to build those substandard interchanges only to have to go back and upgrade them later.

But as I said before, at least the traffic lights are gone, so it's still a step up (albeit a small one).

This segment still has a multitude of driveways and at-grade intersections; driving it, 55mph seems about the right speed for now. There is clearly a lot of work left to do here, in terms of shoulders and frontage roads, and they'll probably realign the ramps if/when they do all that.

LM117

The Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization has released their draft 2045 Metropolitan Transportation Plan. It calls for widening the Clayton Bypass to 6 lanes with the Traditional Funding Horizon set for 2035.

http://www.campo-nc.us/transportation-plan/draft-2045-metropolitan-transportation-plan

froggie

Pointless unless and until they improve I-40 first...

wdcrft63

Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2017, 04:56:15 PM
Pointless unless and until they improve I-40 first...
The I-40 project is scheduled to start in fall 2018 with completion in 2022. I-40 will be widened to 8 lanes between I-440/87 and NC 42, and the NC 42 interchange will be redone as a DDI.
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40nc42/

Interstate 69 Fan

Once those interchanges are built and US-70 is upgraded between Goldsboro and Princeton, there shouldn't be any traffic lights between I-40 and Willie Measley Road east of La Grange.

I'm going to guess no, but can I-42 be signed by then like I-87 up by Raleigh?
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.