News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas: US 67-167 (Future I-57) interchange 16 and 19 preliminary improvements

Started by capt.ron, May 08, 2019, 10:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

It looks like ARDot has exits 16 and 19 along US 67-167 (Future I-57) in their eyes for improvement. The parclo at exit 19 looks to be eliminated and from what I gather, it would necessitate a bridge replacement / upgrade over the freeway at 19. Also, a roundabout just west of the overpass is planned, a multilane one at that.
Exit 16 will also have an upgrade, eliminating the 16B exit.
Links below.
http://www.arkansashighways.com/public_meetings/2019_PM/061371/061371.aspx

Road Hog

I always felt like they could cut the traffic in half at Exit 16 by putting the exit ramp before the county line and letting Cabot traffic take the old 67. Or putting a slip ramp in at Coffelt Crossing to serve the same purpose.

US71

Exit 16 is a clusterf*ck.  It's too close, IMO to old 67, plus to go north on 67 from SB 5, it's a very tight turn.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

capt.ron

Both interchanges are slated to become SPUI's in the [preliminary] design. Whether they go with it (likely) or not remains to be seen. Both existing interchanges are archaic. To this day, I don't know why the highway dept. designed their on-ramps to be as curvy as possible instead of straight to help aid acceleration. The newer interchanges built from the late 1990's forward seemed to be better but look at the on-ramps on US 67 and the interstate highways that were built back in the day. WHAT were they thinking?!
The worse on-ramp is the one in exit 19 in Cabot (67 northbound). Short acceleration area after the sharp curve to the right and also going uphill in a curve? UGGHHH! It's as if the highway dept had a hatred for freeways back in the day and made sure that people took forever to get up to speed when merging onto the freeway. It may have been okay when the speed limit was 55 back in the olden days but definitely not now.

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on June 07, 2019, 11:39:21 AM
Both interchanges are slated to become SPUI's in the [preliminary] design. Whether they go with it (likely) or not remains to be seen. Both existing interchanges are archaic. To this day, I don't know why the highway dept. designed their on-ramps to be as curvy as possible instead of straight to help aid acceleration. The newer interchanges built from the late 1990's forward seemed to be better but look at the on-ramps on US 67 and the interstate highways that were built back in the day. WHAT were they thinking?!.

If memory serves correct, these were likely built to late 1960's/early 1970's standards. No one probably thought it would become a major road
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on June 07, 2019, 05:40:26 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on June 07, 2019, 11:39:21 AM
Both interchanges are slated to become SPUI's in the [preliminary] design. Whether they go with it (likely) or not remains to be seen. Both existing interchanges are archaic. To this day, I don't know why the highway dept. designed their on-ramps to be as curvy as possible instead of straight to help aid acceleration. The newer interchanges built from the late 1990's forward seemed to be better but look at the on-ramps on US 67 and the interstate highways that were built back in the day. WHAT were they thinking?!.

If memory serves correct, these were likely built to late 1960's/early 1970's standards. No one probably thought it would become a major road

This highway started out as a pet project of John Paul Capps or some local influential politician of the day, and grew from there. I do know the freeway got built to Cabot in 1970 (I saw etchings on the backs of highway signs there next to the old Ray Chevrolet).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.