News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Thanks to who has bumped this thread.

Here is one which doesn't mean anything in English, but it's pretty hilarious for Spanish speakers like me:
Joder, NE (to f**k).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

agentsteel53

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 25, 2013, 04:18:38 PM

Here is one which doesn't mean anything in English, but it's pretty hilarious for Spanish speakers like me:
Joder, NE (to f**k).

I really hope that they become sister cities with that one place in Austria.

to complete the triangle, we need a town called Ficken in a Spanish-speaking country.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sbeaver44

Montgomery, WV and Smithers, WV are across from each other on the Kanawha River, connected by WV Route 6.

I always liked the names Forty Fort, PA; Tower City, PA; Pillow, PA; King of Prussia, PA; Horseheads, NY; Bala Cynwyd, PA.

But my all time favorite has got to be Burnt Cabins, PA.  Of course, there is a story about that name here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_Cabins,_Pennsylvania

kphoger

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 25, 2013, 04:31:06 PM
Tower City, PA

Am I the only one who doesn't get the joke?  What's humorous about the name Tower City?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sbeaver44

There are no tall buildings in Tower City, nor anything resembling a tower.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2012, 01:44:25 PMWow, I can't believe NONE of the ones I came up with had been mentioned yet!

French Lick, Indiana
Notrees, Texas
Circleback, Texas
Funk, Nebraska
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (Seriously, have I missed something, did NOBODY mention this one?)

Panhandle Texas has other descriptive town names:  Brownfield, Levelland, . . .

I don't know if T&C has been mentioned on the AARoads forum, but the story of its naming (from a 1950's gameshow) has been told at least once on MTR.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webfil

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 25, 2013, 04:18:38 PM

Sorry about that. I searched for one specific, recent thread, but only came up with this one.

See also that one : Odd/Funny/Interesting City Names

jp the roadgeek

Assonet, MA
Cummington, MA
Little Compton, RI (only funny because it's the total opposite of the other Compton)
Tress Shop, KY
Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard.
Ware, MA
Lake Mooselookmegantic, ME
Willow Street, PA
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

yanksfan6129

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 25, 2013, 08:11:21 PM
Gay Head, Martha's Vineyard.
Ware, MA

Except it's not Gay Head anymore. It's Aquinnah.

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 25, 2013, 03:36:15 PM
Quote from: djsinco on February 25, 2013, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: corco on June 10, 2010, 02:22:23 AM
Lewiston, Idaho.

I'll let you all figure that one out

It is across the river from Clarkston, WA, for context.

why is that funny?  seems like a perfectly reasonable historic naming.

Has nothing to do with Clarkston. Say it aloud. "Louis done eyed a ho".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

There we go. You win the internet!

Road Hog

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DandyDan

Quote from: nexus73 on November 09, 2011, 07:22:58 PM
Utah still has the best one.  Beaver. 

Nebraska has both Beaver City and Beaver Crossing.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on February 25, 2013, 10:28:23 PM
Has nothing to do with Clarkston. Say it aloud. "Louis done eyed a ho".

in that case we've got Jerome, Emmett, Rupert, etc... all eying a ho.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Accident, Maryland
Akers Acres, Maryland
California, Maryland
Flintstone, Maryland
Funkstown, Maryland
Ijamsville, Maryland
Pinto, Maryland
Shookstown, Maryland
Texas, Maryland

Scalp Level, Pennsylvania

Disputanta, Virginia
Lucketts, Virginia
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

djsinco

Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ has to up there in the most bizarre category.

Did you even notice that if the origin of a town name is unclear, most usually people say it "is an Indian word."
3 million miles and counting

kphoger

Quote from: DandyDan on February 26, 2013, 09:06:23 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on November 09, 2011, 07:22:58 PM
Utah still has the best one.  Beaver. 

Nebraska has both Beaver City and Beaver Crossing.

I don't know if anybody realized this or not, but the beaver is actually an animal.  Placenames with beaver in them generally stop being humorous around the ninth grade.

Unless there's one out there called Wet Beaver.  'Cause that would just be awesome.

Oh, and sports teams named Lady Trojans never stop being funny.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: djsinco on February 26, 2013, 01:53:16 PM

There's at least one sign on the northbound side of the GSP for Hohokus (not sure why the dashes were left out). 

Did you even notice that if the origin of a town name is unclear, most usually people say it "is an Indian word."

There may be one southbound too, but  I have not noticed it, and it's not at this interchange, since there's no exit for southbound traffic.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Rehrersburg Pa if it has not been mentioned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

djsinco

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 26, 2013, 06:04:28 PM

There's at least one sign on the northbound side of the GSP for Hohokus (not sure why the dashes were left out). 

There may be one southbound too, but  I have not noticed it, and it's not at this interchange, since there's no exit for southbound traffic.

Leave it to NJ to be so confusing; there is Ho-Ho-Kus, although many refer to it as Hohukus. There was a town actually named Hohokus, NJ, which changed its' name to Mahwah in 1944.

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on February 26, 2013, 06:15:33 PM
Rehrersburg Pa if it has not been mentioned.

Womelsdorf (further down PA 419) is funnier. When my grandpa mentioned that we were going there when I was little, I thought he was making it up. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

BamaZeus

I don't think I missed it already, but I'm a fan of Walla Walla, Washington.  Of course, that's the home of the Acme Vacuum Cleaner Company and Ace Novelty Company, for whom Daffy Duck is a salesman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65404_foghorn-leghorn-daffy-duck-the-high_shortfilms#.US5LefLgKgs

empirestate

Quote from: BamaZeus on February 27, 2013, 01:09:51 PM
I don't think I missed it already, but I'm a fan of Walla Walla, Washington.  Of course, that's the home of the Acme Vacuum Cleaner Company and Ace Novelty Company, for whom Daffy Duck is a salesman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65404_foghorn-leghorn-daffy-duck-the-high_shortfilms#.US5LefLgKgs

Don't forget the Wishy-Washy Washing Machine Co.

djsinco

Possibly no one has any interest in this story, but that won't stop me. As Steve said, I am not here to please anyone.

I picked up a load from the K&B Distribution Center in Phoenix. There were several stops at various stores, the last of which was the K&B store in Walla Walla. As they were unloading the truck, I saw a few cases of "Jenga Blocks" were part of the order. I had never heard of them before, and commented to the manager. He motioned across the road, and said, "they are made right there!" Sure enough, there was a medium sized industrial building with a big sign that said "Jenga."

This is the way we distribute products in our country. Those boxes traveled from Walla Walla to Phoenix, then back on my truck through northern CA and OR before being delivered right across the street from where they came!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.