News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

74 mile-long "no services" stretch of I-84 will be no more.

Started by pdx-wanderer, April 16, 2018, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdx-wanderer

Older link but hadn't seen it mentioned.

Redevelopment of a vacant travel plaza in Huntington, OR will reduce a stretch of I-84 with no services from 74 miles to about 46.

74 miles was by far the longest such stretch of Interstate in Oregon and I imagine one of the longer ones in the country.

http://www.argusobserver.com/news/developer-says-farewell-to-former-travel-stop/article_9269942e-1461-11e8-b3c5-2b2880bf3610.html

theroadwayone

74 miles...isn't that the longest service-less stretch of interstate outside of Utah?

nexus73

Huntington has a tiny high school which has the unique team name of Locomotives.  Having any port in a storm is good on the coast while the inland area by Huntington can be known for heavy snow blocking I-84.  That town needs to be set up for services just on general principles!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Hurricane Rex

Well... Could be worse. Could be ruining the long stretches in Utah. This is still plenty long though.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

doorknob60

Nice, I'm sure I'll make good use of the gas station/c-store if they do a good job. I frequent the new Love's near Boardman, OR when passing through as well. It will feel weird having a motel there though, it's kind of the middle of nowhere. They would have made bank if it was open before the 2017 eclipse, Huntington was a fantastic location to view it (that's where I went).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.