aaroads Instagram repository

Started by wphiii, January 17, 2020, 09:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wphiii

Hi everybody,

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything in this vein on these forums, so I thought it might be nice to have a centralized list of aaroads users' Instagram profiles. Everyone can just reply with their account name and I can edit them all into this post. Also please feel free to recommend any good road-related IG accounts in general, even if they don't belong to users here!

ozarkman417

Via this forum I have discovered the Instagram accounts USENDS, GribbleNation (via Max R.), and of course, the 'official' AAROADS Instagram account. By following MODOT's SW district's Instagram, I have found myself informed on projects and closures I would not have otherwise known about. Instagram and Reddit are the only two social media sites I use on a regular basis.

My account is a personal one that has been mainly restricted to those who go to my school, but if for some reason you wanted to follow my account, it can be found Here. I may create a separate account for any road-related content I may create, I don't want to mix it in with my cursed feed that goes back to 8th grade.
While writing this, I had the idea of possibly creating a group chat via Instagram for any members who wish to join it. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 17, 2020, 04:40:58 PM
Via this forum I have discovered the Instagram accounts USENDS, GribbleNation (via Max R.), and of course, the 'official' AAROADS Instagram account. By following MODOT's SW district's Instagram, I have found myself informed on projects and closures I would not have otherwise known about. Instagram and Reddit are the only two social media sites I use on a regular basis.

My account is a personal one that has been mainly restricted to those who go to my school, but if for some reason you wanted to follow my account, it can be found Here. I may create a separate account for any road-related content I may create, I don't want to mix it in with my cursed feed that goes back to 8th grade.
While writing this, I had the idea of possibly creating a group chat via Instagram for any members who wish to join it.

The Gribblenation account is far more active through Doug than mine is.  I haven't had really the time to figure out Instagram just yet, most of my stuff ends up on the Gribblenation Facebook page at the moment. 

hbelkins

I've never been an Instagram user. It's not something I really care for. In fact, I wish Facebook would somehow decouple itself from Instagram so Facebook users could hide Instagram content like it used to work.

Someone clue me in on the purpose of all the hashtags on Instagram posts. Are hashtags required anytime you post to IG?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2020, 08:29:31 PM
Someone clue me in on the purpose of all the hashtags on Instagram posts. Are hashtags required anytime you post to IG?
You don't have to put anything on an Instagram post other than the picture you are trying to post. Hashtags and captions are optional, but can be useful depending on what you are trying to accomplish with your post.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2020, 08:29:31 PM
I've never been an Instagram user. It's not something I really care for. In fact, I wish Facebook would somehow decouple itself from Instagram so Facebook users could hide Instagram content like it used to work.

That's part of the issue I'm having, it's hard to get myself motivated to do things like hashtags or make them up.  I'm to understand they just help people find photos related to whatever the hashtag topic is.  As far as I can tell they aren't a requirement. 

GCrites

^Yeah, I have hundreds of IG posts with no hashtags. Don't follow mine though, since only 1% of my posts are roadgeekey ones.

Dougtone

No, hashtags are not a requirement to post a picture on Instagram. I find it's useful for organization and trying to attract people to check out your photo and account.

Then you have things like Instagram stories (and Facebook stories too) that disappear after 24 hours. I'm not a huge fan of those, but I can see why that's a popular option.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I have an instagram account, but since its the same material I post on FB, I just post less (I'll throw a whole album of photos on one subject on FB, but just 1-5 photos from the same event on IG).
I haven't gone out of my way to publicize my instagram account, because it would be going out to the same people on Facebook, who already had the opportunity to see whatever I posted on there.
But if you don't care to do FB, and want to see what photographically interests me at any given moment (concerts, architecture, roads, nature), my IG handle is Magyar_Blue
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

I'm guessing that the whole Instagram functionality has changed? Didn't it start out as being mobile-only? People posted photos they took with their phones? Can you now post from a computer?

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer a separate camera with more controls than what are available on the phone's native camera app. The phone camera is great if you just want to snap a quick pic to post somewhere, or send in a text or message.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:02:38 PM
I'm guessing that the whole Instagram functionality has changed? Didn't it start out as being mobile-only? People posted photos they took with their phones? Can you now post from a computer?

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer a separate camera with more controls than what are available on the phone's native camera app. The phone camera is great if you just want to snap a quick pic to post somewhere, or send in a text or message.

As far as I understand, you still have to post a photo with Instagram using the app on your phone. What I have done in a few instances is email a photo I took with my regular, non-phone camera to myself and save the photo onto my phone. Then, I will upload the photo to Instagram.

However, you can view Instagram photos online. For instance, if you to go https://www.instagram.com/gribblenation/, it will pull up the Gribblenation Instagram account and all the photos posted to that account.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Some how, some way, Windows 10 has an Instagram app that I was able to put on my laptop and I can upload photos to instagram. However, I can only post one photo at a time, they are squares, I don't have the ability to crop, and can't do stories. Not sure what features I'm missing without a "smart" phone, but for now I'm content.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GCrites

Quote from: Dougtone on January 20, 2020, 04:32:05 PM

As far as I understand, you still have to post a photo with Instagram using the app on your phone. What I have done in a few instances is email a photo I took with my regular, non-phone camera to myself and save the photo onto my phone. Then, I will upload the photo to Instagram.

However, you can view Instagram photos online. For instance, if you to go https://www.instagram.com/gribblenation/, it will pull up the Gribblenation Instagram account and all the photos posted to that account.

Chrome has a mobile emulator that is accessed by clicking on the 3 dots on the right side of the toolbar, clicking on "More tools" --> Developer Tools then clicking on the little icon that looks like a phone sitting in front of a tablet (next to "Elements"). You can post pictures from a computer by using the phone emulator.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 22, 2020, 09:39:59 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on January 20, 2020, 04:32:05 PM

Chrome has a mobile emulator that is accessed by clicking on the 3 dots on the right side of the toolbar, clicking on "More tools" --> Developer Tools then clicking on the little icon that looks like a phone sitting in front of a tablet (next to "Elements"). You can post pictures from a computer by using the phone emulator.

Hmm. Can you use stuff like Kik Messenger with that?

GCrites

It can't fully emulate apps as far as I know; what it does is fool things that are available in mobile web form into thinking you are using a phone or tablet. Instagram falls into that category.

okroads

I just started using it recently: ohokroads is my ID there.

I download the pictures from my Flickr app (or my website if the picture I want to share is from 2002-2005) to my smartphone then upload to Instagram that way.

froggie

Can't speak to the other manufacturers, but the newer iPhones have far higher camera functionality than before...rivaling some point-and-shoot models.  Much easier with night photography too.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: froggie on January 24, 2020, 07:26:51 AM

Can't speak to the other manufacturers, but the newer iPhones have far higher camera functionality than before...rivaling some point-and-shoot models.  Much easier with night photography too.

Night photos are still way behind on phones but the improvements in daytime photography have been massive over the last ten years.  I use an iPhone 7 and the photo quality is leagues better than the 4, 5, and 6 I used previously. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.