News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-77 Extension in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, September 07, 2017, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadPelican

I would upgrade the US 321 corridor to a 4 or 6 lane interstate from Columbia to I-95 (Hardeeville) and then upgrade US 17 from Hardeeville to Savannah.  This would be a great route to get cargo from the Savannah Port to Columbia and farther north to the Charlotte Metro area.  Right now, there is no direct way to get from Savannah to Charlotte unless you want to travel on mostly 2 lane backroads.

Beltway

Quote from: VTGoose on August 08, 2019, 09:01:51 AM
Quote from: Beltway on August 06, 2019, 03:52:41 PM
How would this improve things over having a properly widened SC I-95 and I-26?
If it goes straight south (more or less) to Valdosta, it would provide an alternate route to I-95 and I-26 for traffic headed to I-75 and the west coast of Florida.
A fairly direct route would probably overlap I-20 between Columbia and Augusta, and then on new alignment between Augusta and Valdosta.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sturmde

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 08, 2019, 12:38:44 PM
I would upgrade the US 321 corridor to a 4 or 6 lane interstate from Columbia to I-95 (Hardeeville) and then upgrade US 17 from Hardeeville to Savannah.  This would be a great route to get cargo from the Savannah Port to Columbia and farther north to the Charlotte Metro area.  Right now, there is no direct way to get from Savannah to Charlotte unless you want to travel on mostly 2 lane backroads.

Frankly, I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to US 17 works just fine, and is the fastest of all routes, via Google:
3 h 54 min (253 miles)
via I-77 S and I-95 S
Fastest route, the usual traffic

Finrod

Quote from: Beltway on August 08, 2019, 01:02:43 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on August 08, 2019, 09:01:51 AM
Quote from: Beltway on August 06, 2019, 03:52:41 PM
How would this improve things over having a properly widened SC I-95 and I-26?
If it goes straight south (more or less) to Valdosta, it would provide an alternate route to I-95 and I-26 for traffic headed to I-75 and the west coast of Florida.
A fairly direct route would probably overlap I-20 between Columbia and Augusta, and then on new alignment between Augusta and Valdosta.
If you could get Georgia interested in building an expressway from Augusta to Valdosta (which honestly I don't see happening), it could be tied in at the south end to Florida's extension of the Suncoast Parkway, which they want to extend north to the border with Georgia.  Then you could have I-77 going all the way to Tampa.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tolbs17

I'm pretty sure some of these posts of this thread are more "fictional" than southeast but it's fine. Anyway. I would extend I-77 to Charleston (if it's ever possible to do so, which i'm pretty sure it's doubtful).

Make a freeway from Spartanburg to Augusta isn't a bad idea... and have it go to Savannah. That's where I think I-77 should go.

VTGoose

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 19, 2019, 03:16:37 PM
I'm pretty sure some of these posts of this thread are more "fictional" than southeast but it's fine. Anyway. I would extend I-77 to Charleston (if it's ever possible to do so, which i'm pretty sure it's doubtful).

Make a freeway from Spartanburg to Augusta isn't a bad idea... and have it go to Savannah. That's where I think I-77 should go.

Why? None of that makes sense -- I-26 already goes to Charleston and I-16 goes to Savannah. The idea is to provide another N/S route and alternative to I-95 and with the right routing, provide an easier way to reach the west coast of Florida/I-75. Overlay I-77 on I-20 to Augusta, then head south to Valdosta roughly parallel to U.S. 221, and the goal is accomplished. This would also open up a large section of Georgia with better transportation.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

tolbs17

Quote from: VTGoose on August 19, 2019, 03:54:16 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on August 19, 2019, 03:16:37 PM

Why? None of that makes sense -- I-26 already goes to Charleston and I-16 goes to Savannah. The idea is to provide another N/S route and alternative to I-95 and with the right routing, provide an easier way to reach the west coast of Florida/I-75. Overlay I-77 on I-20 to Augusta, then head south to Valdosta roughly parallel to U.S. 221, and the goal is accomplished. This would also open up a large section of Georgia with better transportation.
So we can fix this grid up. Even though your plans that you want to run I-77 on I-20 (which is east of I-85), it's not really a bad idea to have I-77 run that way! The major problem is I-85 is out of grid. I doubt it would be renumbered. Your plans would be a nice bypass of Atlanta. It's better to build more highways than widen existing ones.

NE2

Someone had the job of moving this to fictional poo and failed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AcE_Wolf_287

Honesty, they Should Just Flip US 21-US 321 South of Columbia and extend US 21 in Florida and into Tampa, then Extend I-77 along US 21 to Savannah and End at I-95 or Somewhere Else

kevinb1994

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 08, 2020, 09:42:05 AM
Honesty, they Should Just Flip US 21-US 321 South of Columbia and extend US 21 in Florida and into Tampa, then Extend I-77 along US 21 to Savannah and End at I-95 or Somewhere Else
That was part of the original 1925 plan. US 21 would've ended here in JAX opposite of its northern terminus in Cleveland.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.