News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

In 1972 Florida asked AASHO for a new US route

Started by usends, January 04, 2020, 01:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

This would have followed FL 50 in its entirety across the peninsula.  See article
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Max Rockatansky

I'd argue it should be a US Route even now.  FL 50 intersects numerous US Routes and is one of the more important State Roads.  US 292 would make for a solid choice IMO. 

Brian556

I've always thought that it was important enough to be a US route. To me its more important that the route that US 192 currently occupies

Beltway

Quote from: Brian556 on March 16, 2020, 04:40:07 PM
I've always thought that it was important enough to be a US route. To me its more important that the route that US 192 currently occupies
Goes all the way across the state for one thing.

US-192 only about halfway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on March 16, 2020, 10:27:22 PM

And if it wasn't for the Disney complex and its desire for an access facility, US 192 would be only its original 60 miles long, with about half multiplexed with US 441.   Seriously, no strictly intra-FL route would come close to satisfying the 300-mile single-state criterion.  But then, just about everything concerning FL highways seems a bit off-center!

Beltway

Quote from: sparker on March 17, 2020, 03:00:49 AM
And if it wasn't for the Disney complex and its desire for an access facility, US 192 would be only its original 60 miles long, with about half multiplexed with US 441.   Seriously, no strictly intra-FL route would come close to satisfying the 300-mile single-state criterion.  But then, just about everything concerning FL highways seems a bit off-center!
I lived in the Melbourne area before I-95 existed.  US-192 connected it to the Orlando area.

When did any 300-mile single-state criterion begin?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on March 17, 2020, 07:00:46 AM
I lived in the Melbourne area before I-95 existed.  US-192 connected it to the Orlando area.

IIRC (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) it was in the late '60's or early '70's, when such routes as US 210 in MN and US 120 in PA were "demoted" to state highways (although more than a few retained their numbers).  US 99 started disappearing around that time as well (replaced by Interstates along a sizeable portion of its original route), although it qualified for retention in CA, its non-Interstate segment in the Central Valley being well over 300 miles in length (a victim of the 1964 "purge"/renumbering).  Some DOT's apparently followed the "letter of the rule" in this regard, some didn't -- obviously, FL chose to ignore it with both US 92 and its offspring, as did NC with the original US 311 and US 117.   

Eth

Quote from: sparker on March 17, 2020, 03:00:49 AMSeriously, no strictly intra-FL route would come close to satisfying the 300-mile single-state criterion.

If US 98 ended in Pensacola, it would be about 650 miles and entirely in Florida.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on March 17, 2020, 08:09:16 AM
Quote from: Beltway on March 17, 2020, 07:00:46 AM

IIRC (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) it was in the late '60's or early '70's, when such routes as US 210 in MN and US 120 in PA were "demoted" to state highways (although more than a few retained their numbers).  US 99 started disappearing around that time as well (replaced by Interstates along a sizeable portion of its original route), although it qualified for retention in CA, its non-Interstate segment in the Central Valley being well over 300 miles in length (a victim of the 1964 "purge"/renumbering).  Some DOT's apparently followed the "letter of the rule" in this regard, some didn't -- obviously, FL chose to ignore it with both US 92 and its offspring, as did NC with the original US 311 and US 117.

The problem is the AASHTO seems to be serious about adhering to the 300 mile rule for new routes, even if they make total sense otherwise given geographic constraints like Peninsular Florida. 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

nexus73

At least US 199 between Grants Pass OR and US 101 north of Crescent City survived.  What did not last was the multiplexing of US 101 and US 199 into Crescent City.  US 101 also used to be multiplexed with US 26 from where US 26 connects with US 101 up to Astoria, where US 30 took over and headed east to PDX.  That's a lot of US route connecting going on!  Three main routes....

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on March 17, 2020, 06:41:47 PM
At least US 199 between Grants Pass OR and US 101 north of Crescent City survived.  What did not last was the multiplexing of US 101 and US 199 into Crescent City.  US 101 also used to be multiplexed with US 26 from where US 26 connects with US 101 up to Astoria, where US 30 took over and headed east to PDX.  That's a lot of US route connecting going on!  Three main routes....

Rick

US 199's importance as a multistate Highway really isn't apparent until one drives it.  The California side in particular is a wild ride of curves and sudden divided highway segments.  US 26 to Astoria never even made sense even when the ferry was there.  US 399 used to have a similar multiplex of US 99 to US 466 in Bakersfield.  I think that it was just easier for drivers to pick up on a signed highway they wanted to follow and stay on it, or at least that's probably what the logic was. 

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 17, 2020, 07:24:54 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 17, 2020, 06:41:47 PM

Rick

US 199’s importance as a multistate Highway really isn’t apparent until one drives it.  The California side in particular is a wild ride of curves and sudden divided highway segments.  US 26 to Astoria never even made sense even when the ferry was there.  US 399 used to have a similar multiplex of US 99 to US 466 in Bakersfield.  I think that it was just easier for drivers to pick up on a signed highway they wanted to follow and stay on it, or at least that’s probably what the logic was. 

Between Bandon OR and Eureka CA, US 199 is the only E/W highway to connect US 101 to I-5.  That's a lot of territory between those two cities!  After that point when going north, finding E/W routes to make the same connection is easy-peasy.  If any of you make it up to the Oregon Coast, give SR 34 from Waldport to Philomath/Corvallis a try for a crossover route.  This road is incredibly scenic yet lightly traveled. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

florida

A more important question is what color would the shield have been?
So many roads...so little time.

formulanone

Quote from: florida on June 23, 2020, 10:50:12 PM
A more important question is what color would the shield have been?

Hmmm...there weren't any other colors left in the "Kodachrome" palette, since FL 50 crosses US Routes 19 and 1 (red), 41 (orange), 98 (black), 301 and 17 (yellow), 441 (brown), 27 (green), and 92 (blue). Might have needed its own color!

But by 1972, US 27 and 192 already crossed over as green shields, so color duplication already occurred. Orange was the only one without a second numbered shield...

roadman65

Quote from: Beltway on March 16, 2020, 10:27:22 PM

I always thought that US 192 should go all the way to Elfers even though a new roadway would need to be built from SR 33 to US 98, but the Green Swamp is a protected area.  Right now there is no E-W routes between SR 33 and US 98 between I-4 and SR 50.   

However, the idea stinks, though it would be longer than US 130 and US 46 each in NJ and US 213 in DE and MD in two states.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.