News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

I'm kind of expecting I-49 to end at I-40 once the BVB is completed to full Interstate standards, and not continue further south until the missing pieces have been filled in. Leaving I-540 to Fort Smith as is makes the most sense now, as does keeping AR 549 in Texarkana for that reason.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on December 13, 2012, 01:54:48 PM
I'm kind of expecting I-49 to end at I-40 once the BVB is completed to full Interstate standards, and not continue further south until the missing pieces have been filled in. Leaving I-540 to Fort Smith as is makes the most sense now, as does keeping AR 549 in Texarkana for that reason.

540 to Ft Smith won't become part of I-49: 49 is being built as a whole new road that will pass east of Ft Smith through Fort Chaffee.
http://goo.gl/maps/gggba

Now as far as 49 ending at a major route, in Missouri it currently ends at the future 49/71 Split ( MM 5.0 / field verified ) not at Route H.

Now as to why US 71B in Rogers-Bentonville isn't considered "major", maybe that's an AASHTO thing. I can understand why some people think it ends at 71B: the exit numbers extend that far, plus the freeway ends there. Yet, the freeway was built in the early-mid 1980's as US 71. 540 didn't come around until later and originally ended (north leg) at Exit 67 (Bus 71{aka 71 Spur or 471 Spur, depending who you asked} ). It would later be extended to Bentonville.

But whoever said Arkansas makes sense?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

InterstateNG

Quote from: ShawnP on December 13, 2012, 11:22:07 AM
I know that I bang the drum frequently. But if you have ever experienced those lights you understand. A death trap in the waiting.

You're not banging the drum.  You're posting on the internet.

Few doubt how dangerous that stretch of road is but there are other avenues to get that fixed besides spamming it on a message board every few months.
I demand an apology.

route56

[FOX NEWS ALERT SFX]

This is a AARoads News alert Non-neutered I-49 shields were spotted in Cass County.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Molandfreak

Why was google maps so quick to recognize I-69 in texas, but have yet to get their act together for this one? :eyebrow: They even label an out of grid I-6 instead of Maine Highway 6 :hmmm:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

[FOX NEWS ALERT SFX]

Obama's going to neuter your I-49 shields.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ShawnP

I agree US-71 but I fear that someday it will be a bus full of children T-Boned to get things changed.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on January 29, 2012, 10:57:40 PM
71 will be a freeway one day ... The demographics of the neighborhood could change.  Residents die, new residents who have different views of the freeway will be born, residents will move into the neighborhood ...
Quote from: ShawnP on December 12, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
those damn lights just need to be brought out.
Quote from: InterstateNG on December 13, 2012, 03:28:12 PM
Few doubt how dangerous that stretch of road is but there are other avenues to get that fixed

I think that, with all of the publicity surrounding the I-49 unveiling, now would be an interesting time to survey the opinions of the current generation of neighborhood residents regarding their views of a possible freeway/ interstate modification to Bruce R. Watkins Drive.  After all, if the collective neighborhood view has changed, then the neighborhood could approach the court to have the Order dissolved.  We might be surprised.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on December 14, 2012, 03:41:48 PM

I think that, with all of the publicity surrounding the I-49 unveiling, now would be an interesting time to survey the opinions of the current generation of neighborhood residents regarding their views of a possible freeway/ interstate modification to Bruce R. Watkins Drive.  After all, if the collective neighborhood view has changed, then the neighborhood could approach the court to have the Order dissolved.  We might be surprised.

FWIW, Bruce Watkins Dr was mentioned briefly at the ceremony, but all that was mentioned was the lawsuit to block upgrading and how the area was prettied up.

okroads

I drove I-49 from Pineville to I-435 this morning.

- I-49 is completely signed on the freeway itself and on most of the intersecting roads.
- Crews were working on posting I-49 shields on BGS's at Exit 80 (SSR-DD/SSR-EE) when I passed by. Exit 83 (SSR-V/SSR-C) did not have I-49 shields on its BGS's yet. Also, a few interchanges in Grandview & Belton did not have I-49 shields on the intersecting roads' BGS's yet. All in all, great job by the crews to get nearly all of the I-49 related signs uncovered and turned forward within 48 hours of its official designation.
- I counted only 5 state-named I-49 North shields; one was just north of Exit 116 near Rich Hill, and the other 4 were in the Belton area. Also, there are TO I-49 South trailblazers on Bannister Road at US 71 (just north of the northern terminus of I-49), however, the I-49 shields were still bagged up as of this morning.
- My I-49 pictures from today are currently being uploaded to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/sets/72157632249533956/with/8272769727/

txstateends

Quote from: okroads on December 14, 2012, 07:00:55 PM

Wow, great job Eric.  You lucked out with the weather conditions as far as your picture quality too.

* Now that MO has the official and labeled I-49 going, they need to go back later on (I guess when it's time to replace the current set of BGSes) and get rid of the ones that have both EXIT ___ MILE(S) and the EXIT tabs, since it's now redundant.

* Is it me, or is the gantry in pic 5242 (with the 2 BGSes "MO 2 WEST MO 7 NORTH  Mechanic St" and "MO 2 EAST  Commercial St") at an odd angle or something?  Not perpindicular-looking at all.  The gantry at Exit 159 (pic 5244) at Mechanic St. looks off the other way but it could be a bit of digital weirdness as well.

* A non-neutered I-49 shield (pic 5255) north of exit 174.

* Several of the mileage signs have characters too small; those need to be bigger at next sign-change time.  Those small-character ones would be fine for a 2-lane road, but not for an interstate.

* You blink and you really would miss the "155th St  1 Mile" sign in pic 5259.  They need to try again on that one.

* No exit tabs/numbers for the I-435/I-470/US 50 exits?

* An I-49 mile marker *north* of I-435/I-470/US 50 (pic 5287, 5294)??  Interesting....

* I wonder if the I-49s with baggies at Bannister Rd. are the farthest north advisory/warning about the start of I-49 for US 71 traffic southbound.

* Non-neutered I-49 shields on the advance BGSes (pic 5307, 5308, 5311) on EB I-435/US 50.

* I didn't know that the US 71 exits off I-435 were Exit 71A & B.

Thanx Eric for taking the time to do this (since, for me, it'll be a *while* before I'm up that way again).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

I made the mistake of leaving my good camera locked in the van with only my phone camera to use for photos, so I didn't get very many good photos of the dedication.
I have a small album on Flickr with some of the better photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/us_71/sets/72157632250037501/

roadman65

Great I-71 pics!  Also great captioning of I-435 and I-470 as well!  I see that the mile posts north of I-49's end feature I-49 on them.  I guess MoDOT does not want to give up on completing the freeway in Kansas City that is held up locally?

I am glad that Missouri did not count out US 71 out or US 50 for that matter as CO, NM, and even TX do not like to sign US routes along interstates.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

MO 2 in Harrisonville and MO 52 in Butler are signed along two different alignments, or at least they were the last time I was through there.

US71

Quote from: bugo on December 15, 2012, 01:34:44 PM
MO 2 in Harrisonville and MO 52 in Butler are signed along two different alignments, or at least they were the last time I was through there.

52 still is, I think. it runs through town, but also follows 71/49. I'm surprised it's not a Business alignment through town.

MO 2 is a technicality: it's posted along Commercial St to E. South St, though it's not official.  But to go EB on 2 off 71/49, you'd have to turn off at MO 7, go east, then backtrack south.
It's sort of like what MoDOT does with US 63 at Rolla.

okroads

Quote from: txstateends on December 15, 2012, 08:19:58 AM
Quote from: okroads on December 14, 2012, 07:00:55 PM

* Is it me, or is the gantry in pic 5242 (with the 2 BGSes "MO 2 WEST MO 7 NORTH  Mechanic St" and "MO 2 EAST  Commercial St") at an odd angle or something?  Not perpindicular-looking at all.  The gantry at Exit 159 (pic 5244) at Mechanic St. looks off the other way but it could be a bit of digital weirdness as well.

They are both at an odd angle.
* Several of the mileage signs have characters too small; those need to be bigger at next sign-change time.  Those small-character ones would be fine for a 2-lane road, but not for an interstate.

I agree. Also, there were a couple areas where two mileage signs were posted within 1 mile of the previous exit. One sign had two destinations and the other sign had 3 destinations. Kind of an odd sight.

* You blink and you really would miss the "155th St  1 Mile" sign in pic 5259.  They need to try again on that one.

That sign looked temporary so hopefully it won't be there much longer.

Quote* No exit tabs/numbers for the I-435/I-470/US 50 exits?

Nope.

Quote* An I-49 mile marker *north* of I-435/I-470/US 50 (pic 5287, 5294)??  Interesting....

There were 3 I-49 mile markers north of the "I-49 ENDS" sign. The last one was just north of the Bannister Road gore point.

Quote* Non-neutered I-49 shields on the advance BGSes (pic 5307, 5308, 5311) on EB I-435/US 50.
I noticed that also after reviewing my pictures last night. There are almost as many I-49 state-named shields there as there were on the whole northbound I-49 itself.

US71

Quote from: okroads on December 15, 2012, 09:23:49 PM

That sign looked temporary so hopefully it won't be there much longer.

That's been there for a while, though: at least since last December. I'll have to check my files and see if I have it from June 2011.

txstateends

Quote* No exit tabs/numbers for the I-435/I-470/US 50 exits?

Nope.

I wonder if this is some kind of MoDOT oversight, or other real reason besides laziness.  I could see them not being tabbed/numbered if the interchange *wasn't* part of I-49 now.

Either way, maybe it'll get addressed when the rest of the BGS issues are, or sooner.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

ShawnP

Any guesses from those with road building cost knowledge on what it would cost to upgrade those 3 lights in KC? Keep in mind the ROW is already there and I wouldn't see that much utilities work. I would say they could be done for 50 million and even have high end look goods built in. I would say to make a deal with the residents have I-49 still end at I-435 and speed limit get set at 50-55mph with heavy enforcement plus the afore mentioned aesthetic touches. 

InterstateNG

$75 million total is the number given in the very column you posted.
I demand an apology.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: ShawnP on December 17, 2012, 10:37:23 AM
Any guesses from those with road building cost knowledge on what it would cost to upgrade those 3 lights in KC? Keep in mind the ROW is already there and I wouldn't see that much utilities work. I would say they could be done for 50 million and even have high end look goods built in. I would say to make a deal with the residents have I-49 still end at I-435 and speed limit get set at 50-55mph with heavy enforcement plus the afore mentioned aesthetic touches. 

Personally, I'd prefer that they go all out and make Bruce Watkins Drive into a proper Interstate-grade 70 mph freeway, extend I-49/US 71 to I-35 as it should be, and then use Context Sensitive Design solutions to pretty up the corridor.  If you are going to upgrade, do it right.

rte66man

Quote from: ShawnP on December 17, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

Dig a very big trench, then bury it and put a park on the top.  Hey, it "worked" for Boston........

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Revive 755

* Non-neutered I-49 shields on the advance BGSes (pic 5307, 5308, 5311) on EB I-435/US 50.

I noticed that also after reviewing my pictures last night. There are almost as many I-49 state-named shields there as there were on the whole northbound I-49 itself.

Odd; normally MoDOT uses neutered shields on BGSes.

US71

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 17, 2012, 09:20:57 PM

Odd; normally MoDOT uses neutered shields on BGSes.

Oklahoma, as well, with a few exceptions.

lamsalfl

Looks like Google is getting the I-49 shields up for Missouri.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.