News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

bugo

There have been numerous fatalities on the Watkins Deathway.

intelati49

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on May 08, 2015, 11:35:46 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 07, 2015, 11:32:58 AM
MoDOT draft STIP released. http://modot.org/plansandprojects/construction_program/STIP2016-2020/index.htm

Looks like Bella Vista Bypass has been pushed back to 2019-2020 year (see Page 11 of attached link)  :banghead:
http://www.modot.org/plansandprojects/construction_program/STIP2016-2020/documents/Sec046aSWRuralPaymentsandProjects.pdf

Surprise of the century? :bigass:

/s I agree though  :pan:

Not really surprised. They have been saying for the last couple of months that they can only afford to do maintenance on their existing system.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Bobby5280

The only hope for finishing the Belle Vista bypass inside of this decade is the federal government getting involved (whipping out the checkbook, that is).

As for the Bruce Watkins "deathway," yes there have been fatal accidents there, and lots and lots of non-fatal fender benders. The thing I was talking about in terms of a "rash of fatal accidents" is if something really grisly happened, either a horrible single incident with numerous fatalities or a series of them happening in short succession. If some really bloody incident grabbed national headlines that would probably fast-track those at grade intersections getting replaced with freeway exits.

Down here in Oklahoma the concrete Jersey barrier that divides the two roadways on I-44 from Medicine Park up to the Missouri State Line was built shortly after a multiple fatality collision near the Elgin, OK exit. I'm not 100% positive the fatal accident was what got the barrier built, but the timing of it was interesting. It pissed me off ODOT didn't build the Jersey barrier on I-44 South of Lawton down to the Red River. It was only about 18 years later they finally built a cable barrier. BTW, I'm not all that convinced the cable barriers work; there has been a couple accidents on I-44 in Lawton involving vehicles (a rental truck in one case) going right through the cable barrier and across opposing lanes. The cable barriers cost about half the price of a concrete Jersey barrier.

bugo

The Indian Nation Turnpike and the Muskogee Turnpike "east" (really south) of Muskogee lack the Jersey barriers. They still have the original raised grassy median and zero left shoulders.

Bobby5280

I guess not enough people have been killed in head-on collisions on the Indian Nation Turnpike and Muskogee Turnpike to get those barriers built. Not yet anyway.
:-/

I'm surprised they don't even have cable barriers, but then they're not Interstate labeled roads either.

dfwmapper

I believe OTA is slowly working on installing cable barriers across some of their more dangerous roads. I drove up to Tulsa and back a few weeks ago and there were some sections of the Indian Nation Turnpike that had work being done that looked like prep work for cable barrier installation.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 24, 2015, 11:47:35 AM
this article reports that Missouri still has some work to do in order to avoid losing federal matching funds in 2017:
A proposal to raise the gas tax by six cents over three years is being promoted as a way to avert deep cuts to Missouri Department of Transportation funding for road construction that could eventually mean giving up federal highway dollars.
MoDOT calls it the 2+2+2 Plan ....
If it is not enacted, the state would give up $111 million in federal matching funds in 2017 and $119 [sic?] in 2018.

This May 19 article reports that, during the session that just ended, the Missouri legislature did not pass a bill that would raise the state gas tax and the article also mentions the possible loss of federal matching funds in 2017:

Funding for Missouri's roads and bridges is expected to be an important topic next year in the Missouri legislature.
Missouri lawmakers considered several versions of a bill to raise the state's gas tax to support the transportation infrastructure, but none of those passed before the Legislative session ended Friday. 
A general lack of consensus on how to fund transportation, coupled with more than two days of holding up debate by Senate Democrats, effectively killed those proposals.
The new Speaker of the House, Todd Richardson (R-Poplar Bluff), elected by the body on Friday, says the issue will be a priority in 2016.
"We have a good team that's going to be working on what those proposals are going to be and will be ready to come forward with solutions in January."  ....
Senate Majority Floor Leader Ron Richard (R-Joplin) said he thinks the transportation bill was the most significant proposal that wasn't passed.
"We had a dialogue, but couldn't get it through the line,"  said Richard.
The Governor, in the final weeks of the session, called on lawmakers to send him a gax tax increase proposal, but time ran out.  Missouri could lose millions of dollars in federal matching funds in 2017 if a transportation bill is not passed.

On to 2016 ..........

skluth

Quote from: Grzrd on May 21, 2015, 02:16:31 PM
this article reports that Missouri still has some work to do in order to avoid losing federal matching funds in 2017:
A proposal to raise the gas tax by six cents over three years is being promoted as a way to avert deep cuts to Missouri Department of Transportation funding for road construction that could eventually mean giving up federal highway dollars.
If it is not enacted, the state would give up $111 million in federal matching funds in 2017 and $119 [sic?] in 2018.

This May 19 article reports that, during the session that just ended, the Missouri legislature did not pass a bill that would raise the state gas tax and the article also mentions the possible loss of federal matching funds in 2017:

Funding for Missouri's roads and bridges is expected to be an important topic next year in the Missouri legislature.
Missouri lawmakers considered several versions of a bill to raise the state's gas tax to support the transportation infrastructure, but none of those passed before the Legislative session ended Friday. 
A general lack of consensus on how to fund transportation, coupled with more than two days of holding up debate by Senate Democrats, effectively killed those proposals.
The new Speaker of the House, Todd Richardson (R-Poplar Bluff), elected by the body on Friday, says the issue will be a priority in 2016.
"We have a good team that's going to be working on what those proposals are going to be and will be ready to come forward with solutions in January."  ....
Senate Majority Floor Leader Ron Richard (R-Joplin) said he thinks the transportation bill was the most significant proposal that wasn't passed.
The Governor, in the final weeks of the session, called on lawmakers to send him a gax tax increase proposal, but time ran out.  Missouri could lose millions of dollars in federal matching funds in 2017 if a transportation bill is not passed.

On to 2016 ..........

I sometimes can't believe the people in my state are so stupid. It's not complicated. Roads cost money to build.  :banghead:

silverback1065

Quote from: skluth on May 21, 2015, 08:37:16 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 21, 2015, 02:16:31 PM

On to 2016 ..........

I sometimes can't believe the people in my state are so stupid. It's not complicated. Roads cost money to build.  :banghead:
Missouri isn't alone

intelati49

And we have one of the lowest gas taxes in the country. It makes 0 sense.

Brandon

Quote from: intelati49 on May 23, 2015, 08:14:58 PM

And we have one of the lowest gas taxes in the country. It makes 0 sense.

Could be worse, could be next door in Illinois with one of the higher gas taxes in the country, and still not enough money to do anything.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

U.S. Rep. Bruce Westerman of Arkansas has a plan .
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

skluth

Quote from: US71 on May 23, 2015, 11:34:26 PM

U.S. Rep. Bruce Westerman of Arkansas has a plan .

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

silverback1065

Fuck that guy, that's such bullshit.

noelbotevera

Simple solution to fufill these problems: Slap on I-49 shields on the BVB anyway. Put a detour route to link the sections. Done.

Problem #2 - South of KC
Alright, then just slap the I-49 shields on anyway! There's been traffic lights in our system forever, we're gonna have some more additional traffic lights to our Interstate system. Boom. Solved. Unless they do the Chicago way, or just go Bruce Willis, have no mercy, and just do the construction (brute force).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

silverback1065

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 29, 2015, 10:25:38 PM
Simple solution to fufill these problems: Slap on I-49 shields on the BVB anyway. Put a detour route to link the sections. Done.

Problem #2 - South of KC
Alright, then just slap the I-49 shields on anyway! There's been traffic lights in our system forever, we're gonna have some more additional traffic lights to our Interstate system. Boom. Solved. Unless they do the Chicago way, or just go Bruce Willis, have no mercy, and just do the construction (brute force).
It will be just like i-78 in nj

noelbotevera

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 29, 2015, 10:28:44 PM

Problem #2 - South of KC
If we have dealt with traffic lights in our system for almost 60 years, then by GOD we WILL deal with traffic lights for 60 more years!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Scott5114

You could slap shields on the Bella Vista section of US-71, but that doesn't solve the traffic problems the lights cause.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 30, 2015, 07:46:28 PM
You could slap shields on the Bella Vista section of US-71, but that doesn't solve the traffic problems the lights cause.

They could sign the Bella Vista section of US 71 as either "To I-49" or "Temp I-49".

skluth

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 29, 2015, 10:28:44 PM

Problem #2 - South of KC

Not to mention Breezewood and the crazy s&!Â¥ in downtown Philly.

Scott5114

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 30, 2015, 11:31:04 PM

They could sign the Bella Vista section of US 71 as either "To I-49" or "Temp I-49".

...Again, you could do that. But the problem is that Bella Vista is hell to drive through, not what the road is posted as. That's why the BVB needs to be built, regardless of what you sign US-71 as.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

noelbotevera

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 31, 2015, 05:44:24 AM
Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 30, 2015, 11:31:04 PM

...Again, you could do that. But the problem is that Bella Vista is hell to drive through, not what the road is posted as. That's why the BVB needs to be built, regardless of what you sign US-71 as.
Traffic is already heavy in Breezewood, why not again further out west?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Brandon

Problem #2 - South of KC

The Chicago Way would be to carve a bunch of Xs in the road after Midnight, a la Meigs Field.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.