I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atomica

Quote from: bugo on May 05, 2015, 06:53:25 PM
If (when) they convert the Watkins Deathway to a freeway, it will be built in the middle of the current road (which is basically a pair of one way frontage roads). It was designed with this in mind.

That would not be uncalled for:  That is a rather wide median for a start.  Slip roads on and off the main carriageways would be akin to the stretch of the I-49 south of the junction with the I-435 and the I-470 - and those medians could easily support at least three lanes of traffic.  Perhaps frontage roads with slip roads between overcrossings would be appropriate - but even simple overcrossings and left onramps and left offramps would still be an improvement.  Maybe taking a parallel street along Watkins Drive on each side and making it one-way could work.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

bugo

Nothing is going to change until the racists in that neighborhood either move or die off. Then it will be a freeway.

DeaconG

Quote from: bugo on June 06, 2015, 04:27:31 AM
Nothing is going to change until the hardheads in that neighborhood either move or die off. Then it will be a freeway.

FTFY.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

rte66man

Quote from: DeaconG on June 07, 2015, 11:31:06 AM
Nothing is going to change until the people who live there and have the most at stake in that neighborhood either move or die off. Then it will be a freeway.

FTFY.

FTFY2
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

intelati49

Quote from: rte66man on June 07, 2015, 06:20:43 PM
Nothing is going to change until the people in that neighborhood understand what happened. Then it will be a freeway.

FTFY.

FTFY2

FTFY3

I'm an optimist, and I can see both sides got screwed over.

DeaconG

There has to be consensus on this issue.

The people who live there need to be assured that their neighborhood isn't going to be heavily impacted by the coming of I-49, at the same time they need to understand that not building I-49 through their neighborhood has socioeconomic repercussions of it's own.

I seem to remember that one of the individuals in the neighborhood who was against I-49, when asked about the accidents and the impact that not having I-49 there was causing said something along the lines of "Maybe they should find another way to work", which didn't sit well with me because as far as I was concerned this person was grandstanding to make themselves look good and didn't care about the neighborhood he said he represented.

It's going to happen eventually...you just need people on both sides to sit down and say "Look, let's try to make this a win-win situation instead of a confrontational one."
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Scott5114

Quote from: intelati49 on June 07, 2015, 09:29:57 PM
Nothing is going to change until the people in that neighborhood are placed in one of these quote boxes and edited by a bunch of different people. Then it will be a freeway.

FTFY.

FTFY2

FTFY3

I'm an optimist, and I can see both sides got screwed over.

FTFY4
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

intelati49

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2015, 10:46:37 PM

Quote from: intelati49 on June 07, 2015, 09:29:57 PM
Nothing is going to change until the people in that neighborhood are placed in one of these quote boxes and edited by a bunch of different people. Then it will be a freeway.

Although, should we have a separate Bruce R Watikins Dr Thread? I can almost always count on the thread to shit on it every so often.

US71

Quote from: DeaconG on June 07, 2015, 10:11:45 PM

It's going to happen eventually...you just need people on both sides to sit down and say "Look, let's try to make this a win-win situation instead of a confrontational one."
That would be the best solution IF people would remain reasonable.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

I was looking at classic Google Maps while I still could and got to thinking: Why not connect all of the BL 49s in southwestern Missouri together to make a long mega-business route? It would begin at I-49 in Pineville at the Route H interchange, follow H to US 71B which it would follow north to Goodman, MO 59 to Neosho, BL 49 and MO 175 to Tipton Ford, then BL 49 to Carthage. It would be over 50 miles long (would this be the longest business loop in the country?) The stretch of US 71B from US 71 south of Pineville to Route H could be renumbered to a lettered route or US 71B could just be left as is. If US 71 is rerouted to the Bella Vista bypass, BL 49 could follow what is now US 71 to Bentonville, where it would follow US 71B to some point on the south side of Fayetteville. That would make a hell of a business highway.

english si

^^ or you just call it US71 - NC style!

bjrush

Quote from: bugo on June 08, 2015, 09:32:01 AM
I was looking at classic Google Maps while I still could and got to thinking: Why not connect all of the BL 49s in southwestern Missouri together to make a long mega-business route? It would begin at I-49 in Pineville at the Route H interchange, follow H to US 71B which it would follow north to Goodman, MO 59 to Neosho, BL 49 and MO 175 to Tipton Ford, then BL 49 to Carthage. It would be over 50 miles long (would this be the longest business loop in the country?) The stretch of US 71B from US 71 south of Pineville to Route H could be renumbered to a lettered route or US 71B could just be left as is. If US 71 is rerouted to the Bella Vista bypass, BL 49 could follow what is now US 71 to Bentonville, where it would follow US 71B to some point on the south side of Fayetteville. That would make a hell of a business highway.

I don't see Arkansas initiating its first BL any time soon
Woo Pig Sooie

codyg1985

If Arkansas did interstate business loops, it would be funny if they tried to do a I-49B like they do for their US and state route business loops. Or, if they did I-49B, but put it inside of a green business interstate shield.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 05, 2015, 08:51:04 AM
If Arkansas did interstate business loops, it would be funny if they tried to do a I-49B like they do for their US and state route business loops. Or, if they did I-49B, but put it inside of a green business interstate shield.

There is an opportunity to do it, but I have my doubts, at least for now.  There was a BL 30 in Little Rock once, but it no longer exists

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 26, 2015, 11:34:19 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 17, 2015, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on September 26, 2013, 09:54:08 PM
MoDOT has issued a press release regarding a September 30 public meeting to discuss a new I-44/49 interchange at Prigmore Avenue (County Road 190) east of Joplin
This article reports that construction will begin on the interchange during the week of March 2 and that the construction should be completed in November
This TV video reports on the groundbreaking ceremony that took place today and also reports that the new interchange should be completed by November 1, 2015.

This MoDOT Southwest District News Release announces that the Prigmor Avenue (CR 190) interchange on I-44/49 opened to traffic on October 30 and that there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2:00 p.m. on November 2:

The new interchange over I-44/I-49 at Prigmor Avenue (CR 190) is OPEN to traffic as of Friday, Oct. 30.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony hosted by the City of Joplin and the Joplin Area Chamber of Commerce is scheduled for 2 p.m., Monday, Nov. 2, at Prigmor Avenue (CR 190) and Apple Road.

This October 29 article also reports on the opening of the interchange:

A new interstate interchange at County Road 190, which also is Prigmor Avenue – just west of County Road 180 – will open Friday ....
Russell Olds, mayor of Duenweg. "This could mean big things for us.''
Olds said the interchange, which has truck-friendly roundabouts on both sides of the new bridge that spans Interstate 44, could attract retail growth to the town of 1,350 people ....
The $8.6 million interchange project, a cooperative effort of the state, Jasper County, Joplin and Duenweg, is the last major MoDOT construction project in the region to be undertaken under current plans because of declining revenues. The state fuel tax rate has not increased in about 20 years, and last year voters defeated a sales tax to pay for transportation projects.
Emery Sapp & Sons Construction, of Columbia, was the primary contractor on the interchange work.

Next up is the wait for Bella Vista Bypass funding.  Perhaps if Congress passes a long-term reauthorization by November 20, then Missouri might find a state-level transportation funding solution.

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on October 05, 2015, 10:16:48 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on October 05, 2015, 08:51:04 AM

There is an opportunity to do it, but I have my doubts, at least for now.  There was a BL 30 in Little Rock once, but it no longer exists

Conway had a BL 40 too, IIRC.

andy3175

Quote from: Road Hog on November 23, 2015, 06:54:38 PM
Conway had a BL 40 too, IIRC.

Was this what is now U.S. 65B (Business U.S. 65)?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

mvak36

Quote from: Grzrd on October 30, 2015, 09:31:42 PM
Next up is the wait for Bella Vista Bypass funding.  Perhaps if Congress passes a long-term reauthorization by November 20, then Missouri might find a state-level transportation funding solution.

Your turn Missouri. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 10, 2013, 06:51:25 PM
MoDOT now has an A New Interchange at I-49 and 211th Street in Peculiar webpage, which indicates that there will be an Open house public hearing on August 20 and that construction is scheduled to start in Spring 2015.  The page also has an Aerial view of the project.
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 13, 2015, 08:01:41 PM
I'm just popping in to point out that call number C05 in the MoDOT construction letting of May 15, 2015 is for installation of Bugo's favorite type of interchange--a DDI--at I-49 and 211th Street in Peculiar.

This article reports that the Peculiar interchange project is ahead of schedule:

The 211th Street interchange project in Peculiar is ahead of schedule, thanks to the weather.
City Administrator Brad Ratliff said little rain in September and October has allowed for the quick work off Interstate 49.

Ratliff explained that the piers going in now over the highway were scheduled to be installed the first of February. "So they're working ahead of schedule,"  Ratliff said.
Though as the quick work is partially due to the weather, a slow down is just as vulnerable to precipitation and cold.
By contract, the project is scheduled to be complete by November 2016, but Ratliff is hoping this initial progress will continue.
"Our hope is that the weather does cooperate and that they have it open by the time school is starts,"  Ratliff said.
The interchange, about 2 miles north of Peculiar's only other off-ramp from I-49, will cost the city about $6 million in 2015 and 2016, and another $6 million in funds will come from grants ....

Grzrd

Quote from: mvak36 on December 05, 2015, 07:01:07 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 30, 2015, 09:31:42 PM
Your turn Missouri. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!

This December 8 Joplin Globe editorial entitled Our View: It's Missouri's turn now agrees with you, mvak36:

If Congress can do it, Missouri can, too.
What Congress did is pass a bill – a $305 billion bill – that funds federal highway and transportation projects for the next five years ....
Now, it's up to Missouri lawmakers to do their part, to come up with a mechanism to fund state road and bridge work, to prove to its residents that it, too, "can get things done."
It won't be pretty and it won't be perfect, but it's overdue.
In 2009, Missouri Department of Transportation funding was $1.3 billion; it will be between $500 million and $600 million for fiscal year 2017. As we've said before, there are a lot of reasons for that drastic drop, but they all point to one thing: making long-term transportation funding a priority.
MoDOT officials have said the transportation funds in the 2017 budget will not be enough to maintain all of the state's 33,000 mile-highway system and 10,000 bridges. There is no money in the budget for future expansion projects, including the west bypass for Joplin or the state's share of the long-delayed and long-needed Bella Vista bypass. And what's at stake is federal money if we don't have enough in the future to provide the state match.
We never thought we'd say this, but Missouri should look to Congress for its example. We encourage lawmakers to put the state's highway and bridge needs at the top of their to-do lists when they gather next month in Jefferson City.
Missouri can't wait.

mvak36

We'll see what happens. Missouri has some other projects they need to find funding for first before they do the Bella Vista Bypass. I think one of those is the US 54 bridge in Louisiana, MO. They have to find 25 million dollars for that project (IL already has their share and the fed govt is pitching in 10 million dollars).

Just curious, how much would Missouri's state share of the Bella Vista Bypass be?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Grzrd

Quote from: mvak36 on December 14, 2015, 08:42:53 AM
Just curious, how much would Missouri's state share of the Bella Vista Bypass be?

The estimated cost provided to Missouri voters in advance of the August, 2014 vote for the sales tax increase was $32.49 million:

Quote from: Grzrd on February 14, 2015, 09:56:03 AM
More recent estimates provided to Missouri voters for the failed August, 2014 sales tax increase attempt were discussed in this post (the link to the document itself does not work; I have not checked to see if MoDOT has archived it elsewhere on its website):
Bella Vista Bypass: $32.49 million

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2015, 09:51:46 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 10, 2013, 06:51:25 PM
MoDOT now has an A New Interchange at I-49 and 211th Street in Peculiar webpage, which indicates that there will be an Open house public hearing on August 20 and that construction is scheduled to start in Spring 2015.  The page also has an Aerial view of the project.
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 13, 2015, 08:01:41 PM
I'm just popping in to point out that call number C05 in the MoDOT construction letting of May 15, 2015 is for installation of Bugo's favorite type of interchange--a DDI--at I-49 and 211th Street in Peculiar.

This article reports that the Peculiar interchange project is ahead of schedule:

The 211th Street interchange project in Peculiar is ahead of schedule, thanks to the weather.
City Administrator Brad Ratliff said little rain in September and October has allowed for the quick work off Interstate 49.

Ratliff explained that the piers going in now over the highway were scheduled to be installed the first of February. "So they're working ahead of schedule,"  Ratliff said.
Though as the quick work is partially due to the weather, a slow down is just as vulnerable to precipitation and cold.
By contract, the project is scheduled to be complete by November 2016, but Ratliff is hoping this initial progress will continue.
"Our hope is that the weather does cooperate and that they have it open by the time school is starts,"  Ratliff said.
The interchange, about 2 miles north of Peculiar's only other off-ramp from I-49, will cost the city about $6 million in 2015 and 2016, and another $6 million in funds will come from grants ....

I was just there this past weekend. The faux-stone (patterned concrete) embankments are about half done and the steel for the center support is up, though not yet encased in concrete.

Other news: Harrisonville's Diverging Diamond at I-49 and MO 291 is about half finished: the SB lanes appear complete, but the NB lanes have yet to be started. The new 291 bridge over I-49 has the city name in the concrete. Traffic on 291 is a clusterflock in the vicinity with lane closures and traffic shifts.

The Ghostbuster

It's been three years since Interstate 49 came to Missouri. How about changing the subject title to "I-49 in Missouri."

US71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 16, 2015, 03:28:38 PM
It's been three years since Interstate 49 came to Missouri. How about changing the subject title to "I-49 in Missouri."
It's still coming south of Pineville ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.