News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How would the 1971 planned D.C. Interstate network have actually functioned?

Started by TheOneKEA, November 05, 2013, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: D-Dey
Quote from: PColumbusEither way, I think that DC is better off now than it would have been if the freeway plan were fully developed. Had the freeway system been built, then I think that traffic problems in the District would be worse, mixing freeways with DC's road network would be a mess.

Every driving experience I've had in the DC area clearly proves otherwise.

The only way your idea would be the case, D-Dey, is in a no-growth, no-inducement scenario.  History and reality have proven that such a scenario really doesn't exist.

Quote from: ERICI wonder how the planned DC system would work if built today as a network of 4 lane HOT facilities.

Would likely have an insanely high toll and earn the moniker of "Lexus Lanes" used elsewhere...

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on May 14, 2014, 06:36:45 AM
Would likely have an insanely high toll and earn the moniker of "Lexus Lanes" used elsewhere...

We may yet find out.  In particular, if D.C. wants to toll the four-lane section of D.C. 295, where demand during peak commute times and frequently on weekends is far above capacity.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

It would have been a lot better had they built it out this way:

By failing to have any interstate actually run THROUGH the city as I-95 would, congestion was increased on the capital beltway.
Moreover, not building I-266/I70S made it much harder to get into DC, which if built, would have increased the accessibility/attractivness of DC vs. the Beltway for business.

Also, most of I-66 in DC and I-95 would have been tunnels or cut and cover, minimally disrupting the neighborhoods.
This was short sided and is a big reason why the area has such bad traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.