News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-74 Virginia: Just sign it already!

Started by HighwayMaster, January 15, 2012, 08:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

To be honest, I don't know why I-74 in Virginia isn't signed yet, even as FUTURE. Really, it's only a multiplex of I-77. Why isn't it signed yet? :confused:
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

vtk

Agreed. Though it might make slightly more sense to only sign it south of I-81. VDOT probably believes it makes most sense not to sign it north on the 74/77 split in NC.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

hbelkins

Quote from: HighwayMaster on January 15, 2012, 08:13:09 PM
To be honest, I don't know why I-74 in Virginia isn't signed yet, even as FUTURE. Really, it's only a multiplex of I-77. Why isn't it signed yet? :confused:

Because it would be redundant and unnecessary.

Especially considering it will never exist between Virginia and Cincinnati.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 15, 2012, 08:54:10 PM

I agree!

I agree!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Takumi

Quote from: Beltway on January 15, 2012, 08:57:01 PM

I agree!

I agree!

As do I. I doubt VDOT could afford such a waste of money right now anyway, even if they wanted to sign it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

OracleUsr

Wait, signing it concurrent with I-77 in Surry County ISN'T redundant but signing it with I-77 in VA is??
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on January 15, 2012, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: Beltway on January 15, 2012, 08:57:01 PM

I agree!

I agree!

As do I. I doubt VDOT could afford such a waste of money right now anyway, even if they wanted to sign it.

The cost of the signs would be a negligible part of the budget.

I just think it would be useless to sign I-74 over I-77.

It was useless for the Tarheel State to sign several miles of I-74 over I-77, and they didn't talk to VA about it first.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Signing it from the state line to the split was, and is redundant.

Actually, I-74 in North Carolina is a stupid concept, if you ask me. This is a prime candidate for an I-4x or possibly an I-3x.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2012, 12:22:31 AM

Actually, I-74 in North Carolina is a stupid concept, if you ask me. This is a prime candidate for an I-4x or possibly an I-3x.

If all of I-74 were built, it would make perfect sense to me as a relatively straight diagonal route.  With the big gap in the middle that's not going away anytime soon, I can understand arguments to number the new part separately, in which case I-38 makes most sense to me.  But it was and is intended to be a single route, and I'll treat it as such (similar to US 2).
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

If anything, I-74 in NC should have been I-79.  Then you could have multiplexed I-79 with I-77 from Charleston, WV, and then the problem is solved. ;)

Beltway

It was especially stupid to overlap part of it with US-74 ... that is confusing to motorists.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

SP Cook

Yes.  I-74 in NC is confusing to the motorist for multiple reasons.  It really isn't an interstate.  It starts and stops.  The shortest route between one point on it and another isn't it.  And it doesn't run N-S in many areas.  And it intersects and multiplexes with US 74.  Its stupid, and 73 ads to it.

Just sign the part from 77 to 40 as a 3di (177), the part SW of Greensboro as one (840) and leave US 220 as US 220 and the soon to be completed US 311 as US 311. 

CanesFan27

Because they read this forum and knew you wouldn't like it.

CanesFan27

So is the signing of I-74 in NC the new version of I-99 for folks within roadgeeking?  Does it really matter what parts are signed or not?

If TN signed I-69 through Memphis would you all be just as irked?  Afterall, I-74 is the same situation as I-69 in TN and MS.  NC got approval to sign it and decided to.  Virginia hasn't asked or has decided against it.  It really doesn't matter if they did or didn't.

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 16, 2012, 03:14:39 PM
So is the signing of I-74 in NC the new version of I-99 for folks within roadgeeking?  Does it really matter what parts are signed or not?

If TN signed I-69 through Memphis would you all be just as irked?  Afterall, I-74 is the same situation as I-69 in TN and MS.  NC got approval to sign it and decided to.  Virginia hasn't asked or has decided against it.  It really doesn't matter if they did or didn't.

There is going to be a continuous I-69 from Indianapolis to Memphis and beyond. Indiana's building away at a new route and Kentucky has already posted signs on the WK Parkway. (But not on I-24, from what I hear.) Therefore signing I-69 in Memphis would be logical.

The issue is that there will never be an I-74 in West Virginia, or between the Ashland/Huntington area and Cincinnati. Virginia could sign I-74 all the way from Fancy Gap up to Bluefield and then I-74 would just disappear, only to surface again north of downtown Cincinnati at an interchange with I-75.

I guess West Virginia and Ohio could always post "To I-74" signs along US 52.  :-P

NE2

It's not like US 52 will be any better than the existing route through Charleston...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CanesFan27

There is no guarantee that I-69 is going to be a continuous route.

vdeane

There are plans on the books for it to be continuous between TN, KY, IN, and MI.  On the other hand, WV and OH have outright rejected their I-74 segments.
You answered your own question.  It's all multiplex.  There's no point.  Multiplexes are typically the LAST areas of new interstates to be signed for that reason.  There is no point to having a multiplex if one of the routes ends in the multiplex.  Take a look at I-81 and future I-86 in Binghamton.  I-86 is designated to the east.  The future multiplex is I-81 and NY 17 only.

As posted earlier, the future I-69 and I-24 multiplex is I-24 alone as well, despite I-69 to the east.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

QuoteThere are plans on the books for it to be continuous between TN, KY, IN, and MI.

Still VERY dependent on funding.  Will it eventually happen?  Maybe.  But I have my doubts as to whether I'll see it...and this is with a route that HAS been planned and on the books, unlike I-74.

NE2

Just plop I-69 onto I-30 and I-40 between Texarkana and Memphis. Voila, Arkansas gap filled.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

The last gap between Memphis and Indy will be the Ohio River bridge.

Henry

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 16, 2012, 03:12:30 AM

If anything, I-74 in NC should have been I-79.  Then you could have multiplexed I-79 with I-77 from Charleston, WV, and then the problem is solved. ;)

I had the same idea for a southern I-79 many years back! It would follow US 52 to US 220, then take I-73's routing to Myrtle Beach. Seeing that I-73 will never exist in WV, OH or MI, it would be better off as part of a southern extension of I-83. Just my two cents...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

amroad17

My pick would be I-34, being there aren't any odd numbers left for this predominately N-S route from Rockingham to Mt. Airy.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.