News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thsftw

Quote from: Quillz on June 09, 2023, 05:10:21 AM
Quote from: TJS23 on June 08, 2023, 03:17:13 PM
Starting a road trip on Monday, going to June Lake first so I'm hoping they will open Sonora Pass by then! Never been up that way nor Ebbetts pass so at least I have an alternative now.
I did Sonora Pass three years ago. It was pretty steep, but I enjoyed it. Second highest crossing of the Sierra IIRC, and offers some really beautiful scenery. I think it was the western approach just before the actual pass, really steep stuff and your car will really get those RPMs up.

You're in luck!

https://twitter.com/Caltrans9/status/1667262643839840256

TJS23

Just saw as well, very impressive by Caltrans! Glad I don't have to add extra time on 88 or scare my girlfriend going up one lane on Ebbetts :-D

Max Rockatansky

Probably worth noting that the one lane segment of 4 is still 12-15 feet wide.  It might be striped for one lane, but cars can easily pass each other. 

gonealookin

Quote from: TJS23 on June 09, 2023, 06:36:25 PM
Just saw as well, very impressive by Caltrans! Glad I don't have to add extra time on 88 or scare my girlfriend going up one lane on Ebbetts :-D

Depending on how good your brakes are you might scare her anyway on the Sonora Pass highway.  "TJS23, what's that burning smell?  :wow: "

I do promise you'll see a LOT of snow above 7500-8000 feet.  There won't be any opportunity for a quick roadside hike up there.

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2023, 06:42:04 PM
Probably worth noting that the one lane segment of 4 is still 12-15 feet wide.  It might be striped for one lane, but cars can easily pass each other.

Virtually all of the state highway 1-lanes are wide enough for 2 cars to pass. Really only an issue if you have trucks/long vehicles. Some of the local road 1-lanes get fun, though.

Quote from: gonealookin on June 09, 2023, 08:12:33 PM
I do promise you'll see a LOT of snow above 7500-8000 feet.  There won't be any opportunity for a quick roadside hike up there.

And it'll still be another month until a lot of that melts. Monitor Pass just melted out today at the SNOTEL site, a full month later than normal, as did Marlette Lake. I'll be able to report on ground conditions at both Ebbetts and Sonora tomorrow, but SNOTEL shows 5 feet on the ground at Ebbetts and 3.5 at Sonora as of this morning.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kkt

Depending on how good your brakes are you might scare her anyway on the Sonora Pass highway.  "TJS23, what's that burning smell?  :wow: "

Using low gears is strongly recommended.

cl94

I can confirm that there is still a crapload of snow above 7500 feet as of today. Ebbetts probably has more snow right along the road, but Sonora might have more snow in view. Most of Sonora's viewpoints are open and and clear of snow, while those on Ebbetts are mostly blocked. Metric crapton of roaring seasonal waterfalls along 108 on both sides of the pass if you're into that.

Quote from: kkt on June 10, 2023, 11:57:42 PM

Using low gears is strongly recommended.

Oh, come on. It's only a 25% grade.  :spin:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Max Rockatansky

Sonora has the a much longer sustained grades compared to Ebbetts.  Ebbetts is only really steep east of Pacific Grade Summit to Hermit Valley. 

cl94

Yeah, as much as people hype up Ebbetts for being narrow, Sonora has much gnarlier grades. Several places with over 10% sustained on both sides of the pass, with that 25% east of the pass being sustained for close to a mile. And it's not like Sonora is any easier for a long vehicle with those tight turns.

kernals12

SeriesE

The temporary lanes on I-5 near Twisselman Road got torn down now that construction is complete. That was a missed opportunity to not build the temp lanes as a permanent lane as I-5 really needs another lane due to the heavy truck traffic.

pderocco

It was probably light-duty asphalt, not intended to last.

Besides, any time you widen part of a road, you create a choke point where it necks back down.

I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley really is a strange interstate, given that it doesn't go through any significant towns for almost 300 miles, even though it's fairly close to several good-sized towns.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on June 18, 2023, 07:04:29 PM

Besides, any time you widen part of a road, you create a choke point where it necks back down.

I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley really is a strange interstate, given that it doesn't go through any significant towns for almost 300 miles, even though it's fairly close to several good-sized towns.

Caltrans has been putting those temporary lanes in on I-10 west of Blythe.  The amount of deterioration in a short time period makes it pretty obvious it's not long-life asphalt.  I've noticed it tends to work better than using the temporary left lane cattle chute.

TJS23

Hello reporting back, Sonora Pass was amazing, 10 ft snowbank at the summit! My girlfriend loved it! Definitely check it out! I also got to drive the June Lake Loop, Benton Crossing Road, and US 6 over Montgomery Pass for the first time.

SeriesE

I know they're temporary, but I'm saying they should have been built to permanent lane quality and use it as a passing lane. Keep doing that throughout the entire CA-99 to I-580 segment and eventually there will be 3 lanes

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SeriesE on June 19, 2023, 03:45:25 AM

I know they're temporary, but I'm saying they should have been built to permanent lane quality and use it as a passing lane. Keep doing that throughout the entire CA-99 to I-580 segment and eventually there will be 3 lanes

Right, but it definitely would need to be laid with a more resilient surfacing.  Concrete for one costs way more than whatever cheap asphalt Caltrans has been using for those temporary lanes. 

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 19, 2023, 08:03:39 AM
Quote from: SeriesE on June 19, 2023, 03:45:25 AM

Right, but it definitely would need to be laid with a more resilient surfacing.  Concrete for one costs way more than whatever cheap asphalt Caltrans has been using for those temporary lanes.

Needs more durable structural soil too (whatever the technical term is) because a lot of places were lumpy but the pavement appears to be intact

moabdave

To add my $.02 Sonora Pass is my favorite of the "big 4" (Tioga, Sonora, Ebbets and Monitor). I think it has the best mix of scenery and views. Ebbets is probably the funnest for the shock factor with that 1 lane road part, but IMHO the views are better over Sonora.

Max Rockatansky

Interesting observation, how many people consider Sherman Pass in the big Sierra Nevada pass lot?  Sherman Pass ranks as the third highest highway pass after Tioga and Sonora.  I tend to think it gets overlooked given it is a Forest Service maintained road.  Hell, even Horseshoe Meadow Road (old CA 190) and Rocky Creek Road both exceed 10,000 feet in elevation beating out Tioga Pass.

pderocco

Being from SoCal, I've been over Sherman Pass many more times than the northern passes. It's a great ride, and includes one of my favorite wildflower spots a few miles east (north) of the pass. But the Sequoia NF website says it's still closed right now. Either they had an unusual amount of slide damage this year, or they just haven't got around to tidying it up due to the unusual amount of slide damage elsewhere in the NF. It's not a heavily used road. I doubt most people even know it's there, since it's not a state highway. But it doesn't have spectacular views like 120 and 108.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on June 23, 2023, 03:06:13 AM
Being from SoCal, I've been over Sherman Pass many more times than the northern passes. It's a great ride, and includes one of my favorite wildflower spots a few miles east (north) of the pass. But the Sequoia NF website says it's still closed right now. Either they had an unusual amount of slide damage this year, or they just haven't got around to tidying it up due to the unusual amount of slide damage elsewhere in the NF. It's not a heavily used road. I doubt most people even know it's there, since it's not a state highway. But it doesn't have spectacular views like 120 and 108.

The Sequoia National Forest page does regular updates.  There is a bunch of rock fall at the lower elevations that needed to be cleared.  I'm sure higher elevations still have lots of snow on the road.

Plutonic Panda

Perhaps we could see vital infrastructure projects expedited if Newsom's plan becomes a reality: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/gov-newsom-proposes-efforts-to-speed-up-more-projects/61257

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 26, 2023, 05:59:54 AM
Perhaps we could see vital infrastructure projects expedited if Newsom's plan becomes a reality: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/gov-newsom-proposes-efforts-to-speed-up-more-projects/61257

Isn't that just reflecting the recent changes to NEPA which mandated a page limit and decisions to be made within certain timeframes?

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2023, 07:07:23 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 26, 2023, 05:59:54 AM

Isn't that just reflecting the recent changes to NEPA which mandated a page limit and decisions to be made within certain timeframes?

I don't care if it's the guv or NEPA as long as it speeds up the overlong process we currently have

kernals12

Does anyone know what this vacant strip of land in Riverside County is for? My first assumption was that it was for the MCP but the RCTC website says that it would go along Placentia Avenue. It has no transmission lines and it's not a flood channel. So what is it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.