News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by logan230, October 16, 2014, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

https://transportation.wv.gov/communications/PressRelease/Pages/WVDOH_accepts_bids_to_rebuild_portion_of_I_77.aspx]WVDOH accepts bids to rebuild portion of I-77

A project to rebuild Interstate 77 from the ground up between Tuppers Creek Road and the Jackson County line is among 24 construction projects included in a bid letting conducted by the West Virginia Division of Highways (WVDOH) on Tuesday, June 11, 2024.

--

Nothing too notable about this other than WVDOH has become fairly aggressive in its pavement rebuilding program, which now includes significant portions of Interstate 64 in Cabell and Putnam counties, Interstate 79 in Braxton (?) county, and now Interstate 77 in arguably its worst segment.

Previously, when interstates were widened, they added the lanes into the median and did no other rehab work on the other lanes. But with the widening projects of Interstate 64 in Huntington-Barboursville and in Scary-Nitro, and Interstate 79 in Fairmont, they are rebuilding the original lanes which have essentially approached the end of their lifespan.

roadman65

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 14, 2024, 08:15:14 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2024, 12:28:08 AMWas noticing on Facebook a news vid on the former Silver Bridge that collapsed in 1967. Apparently there was  a stress crack that resulted in it's falling down and taking 46 people with it.

It was a bad calamity just as the recently collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge or 1980 Sunshine Skyway disaster.

Didn't know about it, but interesting to learn about it. Apparently the crack was in a hard to see place so it went undetected by inspection which kind of makes you wonder how this can't happen again. :angry:

Officials were so worried about it happening again they proactively tore down the US 50 ALT bridge over the Ohio River at St Mary's that had the exact same design as the Silver Bridge and was about the same age. They didn't even wait for a replacement bridge to be in place.

The (mostly) tongue in cheek Mothman museum in Point Pleasant has Silver Bridge exhibits.

IIRC, the museum at NIST has a piece of the bridge.

I didn't know about this disaster as I was two years old at the time. It's interesting to hear about sipuch such things even fifty-seven years later.

BTW what is a sipuch? Autocorrect generated that word just now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2024, 04:44:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2024, 12:28:08 AMWas noticing on Facebook a news vid on the former Silver Bridge that collapsed in 1967. Apparently there was  a stress crack that resulted in it's falling down and taking 46 people with it.

It was a bad calamity just as the recently collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge or 1980 Sunshine Skyway disaster.

Didn't know about it, but interesting to learn about it. Apparently the crack was in a hard to see place so it went undetected by inspection which kind of makes you wonder how this can't happen again. :angry:

Officials were so worried about it happening again they proactively tore down the US 50 ALT bridge over the Ohio River at St Mary's that had the exact same design as the Silver Bridge and was about the same age. They didn't even wait for a replacement bridge to be in place.

The (mostly) tongue in cheek Mothman museum in Point Pleasant has Silver Bridge exhibits.

I didn't know about this disaster as I was two years old at the time. It's interesting to hear about sipuch such things even fifty-seven years later.

BTW what is a sipuch? Autocorrect generated that word just now.

But, you were around in 2002:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mothman_Prophecies_(film)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

There's a rest area across the river on OH 7 in Gallipolis that has a display with an "eye bar" similar to that which failed on the US 35 bridge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.