News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is a Trafficway only a Kansas City thing?

Started by roadman65, April 13, 2024, 11:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Noticed that in the Kansas City area some streets are named Trafficway instead of Street, Avenue, Boulevard, etc.  You don't hear that descriptor used anywhere else.

Is that a thing limited to the two Kansas Citys.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on April 13, 2024, 01:54:35 PMSpringfield MO has or had some.

The only use of that word in Springfield, so far as I know, is Trafficway Street, which isn't special in any way. Springfield tends to use "Expressway" for roads that Kansas City would call "Trafficway".

The only use of "Trafficway" as a suffix that I know of outside of Kansas City is "Heavy Trafficway" in Tulsa. Which given the name, seems like it was a historical accident more than anything.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheStranger

There's a couple of roads in California's Central Coast actually named Traffic Way, particularly old US 101 in Arroyo Grande.
Chris Sampang

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on April 13, 2024, 11:12:45 AMNoticed that in the Kansas City area some streets are named Trafficway instead of Street, Avenue, Boulevard, etc.  You don't hear that descriptor used anywhere else.

Is that a thing limited to the two Kansas Cities?

No.  The K-10 bypass of Lawrence is called the South Lawrence Trafficway.  Trafficway is also a practitioner term (additional example).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

swake

Tulsa has a Heavy Traffic Way on the west side of downtown under the Inner Dispersal Loop. Despite the name, it does not carry much traffic.

rte66man

Quote from: swake on April 14, 2024, 04:49:17 PMTulsa has a Heavy Traffic Way on the west side of downtown under the Inner Dispersal Loop. Despite the name, it does not carry much traffic.

It did before I-244 as it was the "collector" road for US66-75-169 coming out of downtown before they crossed the Arkansas River.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

DandyDan

I vaguely recall a road in Topeka, KS which had a trafficway designation, but don't know which road it was. It may have been US 24 because everything else is a street, avenue, or boulevard that I remember. Of course, Topeka also falls within the cultural orbit of Kansas City.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

J N Winkler

Quote from: DandyDan on April 16, 2024, 04:22:35 AMI vaguely recall a road in Topeka, KS which had a trafficway designation, but don't know which road it was. It may have been US 24 because everything else is a street, avenue, or boulevard that I remember. Of course, Topeka also falls within the cultural orbit of Kansas City.

Google Maps does label US 24 (which has been developed almost completely to freeway standard) as the Charles Sheldon Trafficway.  Topeka also has the Jefferson Trafficway and the Branner Trafficway, the latter of which is referenced on several I-70 interchange sequence signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

triplemultiplex

Quote from: swake on April 14, 2024, 04:49:17 PMTulsa has a Heavy Traffic Way on the west side of downtown under the Inner Dispersal Loop. Despite the name, it does not carry much traffic.
Perhaps the traffic is heavy in an emotional way.  :)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.