News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Winter 2015, has it gone on long enough

Started by SteveG1988, February 16, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, has it gone on long enough?

Yes
13 (35.1%)
No
13 (35.1%)
Bring me the groundhog's head on a platter for predicting 6 more weeks of winter!
11 (29.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

JakeFromNewEngland

We're getting more snow this week along with ice/rain, and to think they said March would be warm and nice out!

1995hoo

Freezing rain is falling as I type this. Nice and slippery outside. If you read my thread about shovelling parking spaces.....the guy who acted like an asshole about "his" space is parked directly across the T-intersection. If someone comes down the street too fast and loses control, they'll slide directly into that guy's car. I'd feel some sympathy for the person who did the damage (some, but not much.....drive slower!), but I'd laugh at the guy who left the note. (My wife's car is parked up the street in the middle of a row of parked cars so as not to be on the end by a corner.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

From Scott Sistek, KOMO News: Seattle sets twin records for warmest February, winter on record

Seattle has set its record for all-time warmest February since official measurements began at Sea-Tac Airport. The average temperature (high temperature plus low temperature, divided by two) was 48.8 degrees narrowly edging 1977's record at 48.7. (And I mean narrowly. Had Saturday just been one degree cooler, it would have been a tied record instead.)

It's also the warmest February by average low temperature (by more than a full degree), and sixth-warmest by average high temperature.

While winter officially runs Dec. 21-March 21, "meteorological winter" runs Dec. 1 - Feb. 28 so we can now measure how winter stands up, statistically. And it was a doozy.

This winter will go down as the warmest at Sea-Tac -- by far. The average temperature of Dec. 1 to Feb. 28 was 46.4 degrees, obliterating the previous record for warmest winter on 1991-92 of 45.0 degrees. Normal is just 41.2. This comes on the heels of the second-warmest summer -- and all makes sense when you consider 2014 was the warmest year overall on record at Sea-Tac.

We also claimed the trophy by using average high temperature. The new record is 51.4, breaking the old record of 50.8 set in 1991-92. Average is: 46.5.

J Route Z

They call for more snow Tuesday and Thursday in the northeast.

KEVIN_224

31 degrees and freezing rain here near Hartford, CT as I write this. It was light snowing and about 25 degrees when I left work at 5:45 PM Eastern.

Pete from Boston

Our first near-freezing rain since our memories were erased with nine feet of snow.  I'll take frigid windy snow any day.  At least it doesn't stick the cold to you like beaded rain does.

freebrickproductions

We'll be getting more freezing rain tonight. Fun.
I can't wait for summer!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

We have five to eight inches of snow forecast for tomorrow. It rained yesterday, which was nice because the rain washed a lot of the salt gunk off the car. I can't justify spending the money to go through a carwash with that much snow forecast, but I don't like having that crusty white gunk all over the paint.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: jakeroot on March 01, 2015, 02:57:47 PM
From Scott Sistek, KOMO News: Seattle sets twin records for warmest February, winter on record

Seattle has set its record for all-time warmest February since official measurements began at Sea-Tac Airport. The average temperature (high temperature plus low temperature, divided by two) was 48.8 degrees narrowly edging 1977's record at 48.7. (And I mean narrowly. Had Saturday just been one degree cooler, it would have been a tied record instead.)

It's also the warmest February by average low temperature (by more than a full degree), and sixth-warmest by average high temperature.

While winter officially runs Dec. 21-March 21, "meteorological winter" runs Dec. 1 - Feb. 28 so we can now measure how winter stands up, statistically. And it was a doozy.

This winter will go down as the warmest at Sea-Tac -- by far. The average temperature of Dec. 1 to Feb. 28 was 46.4 degrees, obliterating the previous record for warmest winter on 1991-92 of 45.0 degrees. Normal is just 41.2. This comes on the heels of the second-warmest summer -- and all makes sense when you consider 2014 was the warmest year overall on record at Sea-Tac.

We also claimed the trophy by using average high temperature. The new record is 51.4, breaking the old record of 50.8 set in 1991-92. Average is: 46.5.
Wow! At least I lucked out, having missed out on those epic Chicago winters I used to go through in my childhood.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

slorydn1

Quote from: Henry on March 04, 2015, 10:26:20 AM
Wow! At least I lucked out, having missed out on those epic Chicago winters I used to go through in my childhood.

Man no doubt. I will never forget January of 82 and the -26F at O'hare with wind chills in the -70F range. It was so cold that the nail heads in the ceiling of our dining room were freezing which caused little ice spots to from on the ceiling even though it was a comfortable 72F in the house.

I won't ever forget climbing up on the roof of our house as a 9 year old to help shovel it off, taking time out to dive off the roof into the front yard into snow drifts that were almost as tall as the house.

I remember the snow forts we used to build and the epic snowball fights we'd have as a neighborhood. Even the parents got involved. My fort was heavily "armored" by adding water to  the top of the walls creating a solid sheet of ice that no snowball/iceball could penetrate. Good times!

I'd trade this little ice storm we are fixing to get tomorrow night that will completely shut my town down most of the day on Friday for that any day.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

robbones

I'm ready to harm Punxsutawney Phil. This weather is killing my paychecks.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: robbones on March 04, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
I'm ready to harm Punxsutawney Phil. This weather is killing my paychecks.

Careful, he has dangerous friends.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Desert Man

Twice we had rain in CA in 2 weeks: Feb. 22-23 and March 1st (moderate hail fell on Huntington Beach). We're in the worst drought since the 19th century, need the rain BADLY. The lack of significant snowpack in the Sierra Nevada is of great concern. Only once it snowed where palm trees grow: Lake Elsinore-Temecula in southern CA had over a foot and mixed snow-rain in Fontana-Rancho Cucamonga and Pasadena-Altadena on New years (Dec 30-Jan 2). Not enough to cancel the Rose Parade or the Rose Bowl game, but high temps were around 40F. Rarely happens in areas under 2000 foot elevation in so CA.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Pete from Boston

Duke87

AARoads post on Washington Post story on Boston.com story on New York Times story on remaining Boston snow:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14785.msg2077046#msg2077046
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pete from Boston

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kendancy66

Don't forget that last ten days of December 2015 are still to come

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on July 07, 2015, 07:00:34 PM
AARoads post on Washington Post story on Boston.com story on New York Times story on remaining Boston snow:

Obviously these folks need to take a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Snow in the Keweenaw can be found in the woods, shaded by the trees in August and September.  One year (1995-96) had 328 inches of snowfall over the season.  Some it failed to melt before the next snows started in September/October.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on July 10, 2015, 01:39:37 PM

Obviously these folks need to take a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Snow in the Keweenaw can be found in the woods, shaded by the trees in August and September.  One year (1995-96) had 328 inches of snowfall over the season.  Some it failed to melt before the next snows started in September/October.

Sounds miserable.  I lived in Superior, WI for a while; don't miss the winter than much.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on July 10, 2015, 02:30:26 PM

Sounds miserable.  I lived in Superior, WI for a while; don't miss the winter than much.

Miserable?  How else would you have Winter Carnival with gigantic snow statues otherwise?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on July 10, 2015, 04:15:22 PM

Miserable?  How else would you have Winter Carnival with gigantic snow statues otherwise?

Ah yes.  Gigantic snow statues make all those months of winter more tolerable.  Silly me, I forgot. :meh:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on July 10, 2015, 05:04:32 PM

Ah yes.  Gigantic snow statues make all those months of winter more tolerable.  Silly me, I forgot. :meh:
Does it help that the pep band serves deep fried Twinkies?  After they remove their frozen lips from their mouthpieces after the parade.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on July 10, 2015, 05:04:32 PM

Why do people think winter is miserable anyway?

I'll tell you what's really miserable: 95 degrees and dewpoints in the 70s.  That's miserable!  A little snow is just fun.

vdeane

Not if you have to shovel it.  And snow tires (plus rims and hooking in the TPMS so the car won't constant beep and block the clock and radio with full screen warnings, plus the peace of mind of knowing that any weird vibration is probably the road and not a flat tire if the light is off) are expensive enough to be an issue if you're still (re)building your savings.  The former is solvable (mostly) by living in an apartment.  Meanwhile the latter just gets even worse if you're in an apartment due to storage.  Plus having to tires them between storage and the car four times a year (twice per swap) in filthy dirt laden bags filled with holes that just scream "must vacuum car interior" (my trunk doesn't have room for all four tires).  Yeesh.  And the commuting issues... I've had days where traffic moved no faster than 5 mph up the Northway due to snow.  And that's in ALBANY, which has a very mild climate compared to the rest of upstate NY.  My boss lives out in the hills and needs chains to get in to work on a GOOD day in winter!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.