News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Grease spots in road atlases

Started by bandit957, April 04, 2019, 12:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Who else occasionally finds grease spots on a page of a road atlas?

I try to keep road atlases in good condition, but inevitably, some genius occasionally slops food crumbs onto an open page. It burns me up inside. But the grease stains eventually fade almost entirely, if not entirely.

What's your record for the biggest grease spot in a road atlas?

What's your record for how many pages it soaked through?

What's your record for how long it took for it to fade?

What's your best story about grease spots in a road atlas?

It's usually cookies or chips that cause stains like this. I'm reminded of the Bert and Ernie skit where Ernie ate cookies in bed. I'd say that on average, they soak through about 2 or 3 pages before they start to fade. Sometimes they take years to fade, but they usually do. Even a pea-sized crumb can create a silver dollar-sized stain.

Is there any way to reduce a stain once it appears?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MNHighwayMan

The best way to prevent this is to just not eat in your car, if you somehow find yourself unable to not eat and wayfind at the same time.

bandit957

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 04, 2019, 12:11:47 AM
The best way to prevent this is to just not eat in your car.

It happens more often at home.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kphoger

Stains on your road atlas are like stains on your cookbook:  it just means you actually use the thing!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2019, 01:35:54 PM
Stains on your road atlas are like stains on your cookbook:  it just means you actually use the thing!

Well, sure. Or maybe it means you should be a smidgen more careful.

Henry

Another sign that you actually use the atlas is when the pages are falling apart and have to be taped up. I've been through this over the years, but I damn sure wouldn't eat and read the atlas at the same time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Quote from: Henry on April 12, 2019, 10:51:01 AM
Another sign that you actually use the atlas is when the pages are falling apart and have to be taped up. I've been through this over the years, but I damn sure wouldn't eat and read the atlas at the same time.
Reminds me of my original copy of the 1998 MUTCD.  Unlike the 1978 edition (which was in a 3 ring binder), it was paperback with a very weak binding.  Within about seven months, most of the pages of Parts 2D, 2E, and 2F had fallen out.   One day, I removed the remaining pages and stapled them together.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on April 12, 2019, 10:51:01 AM
I damn sure wouldn't eat and read the atlas at the same time.

Always better to eat over a paper towel while stopped at the rest area, then read the map while you're flying down the highway at 65 mph!  No grease spots that way...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.