News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Streets and highways with similar names confusingly close to each other

Started by Molandfreak, April 28, 2013, 03:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Anyone notice the same street names or highway numbers appearing close to each other?

Aside from first, second, third, I've noticed these duplicated names in Northfield and it's suburb Dundas, Minnesota.

Forest Avenue: This appears in Northfield where Third Street curves south of the grid pattern in town. A different Forest Avenue also appears on the west side of Dundas.

North St./Ave. In Northfield, North Avenue straddles the county line and is the road to the hospital. In Dundas, there is a minor road with the name North Street.

Another oddity is Northfield's league of Jeffersons. It contains Jefferson Parkway, Jefferson Road, Jefferson Drive, Jefferson Lane, and the forgotten Jefferson Place. At least two of these are a result of land annexations in the 1970s, where Northfield did not want to rename the roads.

Another oddity on different lines exists in the Lakeville, MN area, where Credit River Township is normally addressed to Lakeville. Credit River lies in eastern Scott County, whereas Lakeville is in western Dakota County. Thus, you have to travel west for an address of 185th Street East in Lakeville.

Near Redwood Falls, Minnesota state highway 19 and Redwood county road 19 intersect.

In Anoka county, MN, county road 10 replaced old U.S. 10 for part of it's length. The two roads confusingly intersect.

For all practical purposes, WV 7 and OH 7 also intersect near Hannibal, OH and New Martinsville, WV.

And who could forget that AZ-95 and U.S. 95 intersect in Quartzsite, AZ...

Also, the two I-395s that exist in Baltimore and D.C, the same CSA and virtually the same metro.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

dfilpus

US 360 and VA 360 intersect twice. At the eastern intersection, there are banners that say "US" and "State" above the shields.
US 74/I 74 in NC multiplex. NC 73 intersects with I 73.

mgk920

1995hoo

There is a Virginia Avenue in the City of Falls Church, Virginia. Less than three miles away in Fairfax County there is an entirely different street also named Virginia Avenue. But to make it worse, the postal address for the one in the county is also "Falls Church, VA," even though it's outside the city limits (this is, as we all know, quite common).

I work with a guy who lives on the one in the county and he says even something as routine as getting a pizza delivered is a massive nuisance because the pizza guys are always going to the wrong Virginia Avenue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The High Plains Traveler

Minneapolis has four street quadrants, plus the downtown area that bends the streets just to mix things up. Each has numbered streets and avenues, distinguished only by the prefix or suffix (they can't even be consistent there). Streets on one side of the river go east-west, and north-south on the other side.

Phoenix has numbered streets on one side of downtown, numbered avenues on the other. They all go north-south.

In Colorado Springs, nearly every street is named Cheyenne.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

colinstu

There's "Moreland Blvd" and "Moorland Road" in Milwaukee/Waukesha. Heading west on I-94, Moreland is an entire 1 EXIT AFTER Moorland... can be quite confusing to describe to people at times. The Road and Blvd part is commonly dropped from the name too.

EDIT: There is also "Layton Blvd" that runs N-S through the southside (is basically 27th st) and there's "Layton Ave" which runs E-W even more south.

EDIT 2: A number of streets in the burbs of Chicago (Arlington heights anyways) are all named after trees. That's quite obnoxious.

Alps

Burnt Mill Rd. at Burnt Mills Rd.
Google: http://goo.gl/maps/yfI2V
Site: www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/cr_641
(Note: zooming in, it seems that Burnt Mill (incorrectly labeled as another Mills) changes to Cowperthwaite. I have been there. That is a Google Mapsism.)

Brandon

Locally, Division Street.  There are three in easy driving distance and close to each other.

1. Division Street Lockport - on both sides of the Des Plaines River and goes by Stateville Road and 163rd Street.  Exists by the name "Division Street" in Lockport, Crest Hill, and Joliet.

2. Division Street Joliet - small east-west street near the Des Plaines River in Joliet, between Bridge Street and Ruby Street.  Turns into an alley west of Center Street (US-30).

3. Division Street Plainfield - Illinois 59 through Plainfield.  Crosses the latitude of Division Street Lockport, but Division Street Lockport ends two miles east.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CentralCAroadgeek

I already made a thread like this months ago (with a similarly-long title), but I'll add some things from there...

Capitol Avenue and Capitol Expressway in San Jose.

Market Street and Market Way, & Tuscany Circle, Tuscany Avenue, and Tuscany Boulevard here in Salinas.

signalman

In my town there's Mount Hope Road and Mount Hope Avenue.  Both are county maintained, but two completely different roadways.  People not from the area, often delivery truck drivers, think they're one and the same (ie. they are looking for an address located on Mount Hope Road, but traveling on Mount Hope Ave. looking for it).  As an added bonus to make it somewhat confusing for outsiders, Mount Hope Ave ends at Mount Hope Road.

jp the roadgeek

In my town, there is a Flanders St, and a Flanders Rd.  Street runs E-W, and Road runs N-S.  Street's east end is at Road.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tdindy88

I pointed this out on the I-69 in Indiana thread, but southwest of Bloomington there is an intersection between "W." Leonard Springs Road and "S." Leonard Springs Road. Take out the direction and Leonard Springs Road has a three-way intersection with itself.

Here's a look at the intersection: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bloomington,+IN&hl=en&ll=39.121671,-86.591041&spn=0.004678,0.010568&sll=42.391009,-85.869141&sspn=9.118587,21.643066&oq=Bloomington,+IN&t=h&hnear=Bloomington,+Monroe,+Indiana&z=17

Also in Bloomington, there is a Rogers Street and a Rogers Road, though they don't intersect with each other.

allniter89

There are two Shady Lanes' within five miles in the Fort Walton Beach, FL. They do not intersect but they're both off the same major street (Beal Pkwy-Lewis Turner Blvd). I've also had the problem of delivery people going to the wrong Shady Lane  :banghead:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

WNYroadgeek

US 15 and NY 15 in Corning/Painted Post, even though the latter is only signed there (it's southern terminus has always been at I-390 in Wayland, despite the aforementioned signage indicating otherwise).

It won't be like that for long, though, as NYSDOT is in the process of removing all NY 15 signage south of Wayland.

mgk920

In Madison, WI, there are two streets named 'King' that radiate outward from the Capitol Square, one block apart at the square.

The pizza guys really do have it tough here in the Appleton area, as there are multitudes of different munis that cover the area's relatively small population (about 230K), including three counties for some of the unincorporated parts, each with their own street naming and addressing grids and with numerous duplicating street names, many in close (as in just a few blocks) proximity to each other and some with duplicating valid address number ranges.

It is a real mess.

:banghead:

Mike

vdeane

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on April 29, 2013, 01:00:30 AM
US 15 and NY 15 in Corning/Painted Post, even though the latter is only signed there (it's southern terminus has always been at I-390 in Wayland, despite the aforementioned signage indicating otherwise).

It won't be like that for long, though, as NYSDOT is in the process of remove all NY 15 signage south of Wayland.
Plus NY 15 was the only example of a "state extension" of a US route (at least in NY, though I can't think of any other states that did such a thing).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

^ Virginia did and still has a few. VA 33 is the most notable, but there are/have been several others.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

north San Diego's road names all seem to be taken from the set of Carmel, Mira, Torrey, Sorrento, Mesa, and Valley.  on CA-56, there is a guide sign for the next three exits: Carmel Mountain, Carmel Valley, and Carmel Creek. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

briantroutman

I-283 and PA 283 in Harrisburg.

Trying to explain to people "you have to take the exit from Interstate 283 onto state route 283" was always an annoyance and led to a great deal of confusion. I always thought that the 283-283 interchange should be reconfigured to treat the Harrisburg-Lancaster route as continuous–and then renumber the entire length as I-383.

NE2

Quote from: briantroutman on April 29, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
I-283 and PA 283 in Harrisburg.

Trying to explain to people "you have to take the exit from Interstate 283 onto state route 283" was always an annoyance and led to a great deal of confusion.

How is it any different from "you have to take the exit from I-83 onto I-83"?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

briantroutman

Quote from: NE2 on April 29, 2013, 03:46:06 PM
How is it any different from "you have to take the exit from I-83 onto I-83"?

At least in that instance, the right lane is dedicated to I-83, so it functions more as a left lane exit for 581 (and it's signed that way).

But that interchange is also a terrible configuration and is in the process of being reconstructed.

vdeane

Looking at that interchange, it is plain as day that I-83 to PA 581 is the intended through movement.  Also keep in mind with PA 283, that the interchange is right before the Turnpike, and as such there is no conflicting I-283 signage to speak of.  It's a simple TOTSO (for people who don't know about unsigned interstates, which is 99.9% of drivers), and those aren't uncommon in this part of the country.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

myosh_tino

Santa Barbara, CA...

* Castillo Street
* Carrillo Street
* Cabrillo Street

Interesting Notes
- All three roads have interchanges with US 101 (Cabrillo - Exit 94C, Castillo - Exit 97, Carrillo - Exit 98A) with Castillo and Carrillo being consecutive exits.
- Castillo and Carrillo intersect 1 block east of US 101
- Castillo and Cabrillo intersect down by the waterfront.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.