News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 13, 2019, 09:33:27 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 13, 2019, 08:40:56 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 13, 2019, 07:20:26 PM
Those plans have a very Tysons Corner feel, especially concepts 6 and 7. They must have been smoking auto fumes from car culture.
Well it is a major urban center. This will be interesting to see play out, especially if it's constructed as soon as 2025. As of now, it's fully funded at $230 million.

Tysons Corner is the 15th largest central business district in the U.S., with more square feet of office space than downtown Pittsburgh.
And that should determine how the DOT wants to do a project? Clearly, their mind is set on this. Detailed design alternatives, fully funded $230 million project. It's likely going to continue forward.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 13, 2019, 10:08:44 PM
And that should determine how the DOT wants to do a project? Clearly, their mind is set on this. Detailed design alternatives, fully funded $230 million project. It's likely going to continue forward.

Do you think that sufficient stream valley design is in place to prevent roadway flooding in up to medium sized storms?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Concept 6 is similar to what they're proposing at 440 and Wade.

Concepts 4 and 5 are.....unorthodox...

Anyone else notice that 6 and 7 add a partial CFI at Glenwood & Creedmoor?

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on June 13, 2019, 10:17:31 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 13, 2019, 10:08:44 PM

Do you think that sufficient stream valley design is in place to prevent roadway flooding in up to medium sized storms?
QuoteWill the project contribute to flooding in the Crabtree Valley area?
NCDOT is well aware of the flooding that occurs along Crabtree Creek during storm events, and the project's potential to impact the existing flood plain is a major consideration. As design options are developed, the project team will use a detailed computer model of the study area to determine whether the design options will increase flooding during storm events.

Options that increase the potential for flooding will not be considered. NCDOT will also investigate design measures and treatment options that further minimize the impacts of stormwater runoff within the study area.
This was on the project website's FAQ section.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on June 13, 2019, 10:38:45 PM
Concepts 4 and 5 are.....unorthodox...
Isn't that like 1900s urban design with block systems in cities? I've never seen it used in a modern 21st century project.

Quote from: froggie on June 13, 2019, 10:38:45 PM
Anyone else notice that 6 and 7 add a partial CFI at Glenwood & Creedmoor?
I think that's the least abnormal thing about some of these concepts to be quite frank.

cowboy_wilhelm

The project was originally scheduled for 2022, but was delayed after Ridge Rd. residents pitched a fit at the originally proposed design.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-14-us-70--slocum-gate-lane-closure.aspx

QuoteHAVELOCK — Additional work and lane closures are needed next week so a contractor can continue to set girders over the eastbound lanes of U.S. 70 into Slocum Gate at the MCAS Cherry Point military base. Similar closures have been in place overnight this week.

The lane closures are planned for 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. for four consecutive nights, June 17-20. The work is weather conditional.

The left eastbound lane will be closed just past the intersection of Hickman Hill Loop Road. The remaining lane for eastbound traffic will be shifted to get around the work area. The left westbound lane will be closed at the Walmart intersection. The remaining right westbound lane will continue thru the work zone. Once past the work area, the highway will return to its normal traffic patterns.

Because of the work, the Slocum Gate will be closed from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. each night.

Drivers are reminded to slow down when approaching the work zone, and to pay extra attention when going through the location.

The girder work is part of a $24.4 million project to build a new overpass to allow traffic to go directly into the Slocum Gate entrance for the base.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadsguy

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 14, 2019, 04:07:58 PM
The project was originally scheduled for 2022, but was delayed after Ridge Rd. residents pitched a fit at the originally proposed design.

What even was the originally proposed design, again?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 14, 2019, 10:15:31 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 14, 2019, 04:07:58 PM

What even was the originally proposed design, again?

I've been trying to find the original public meeting maps. Basically it was a new connector from behind the mall with additional ramps to 440. Here's a News & Observer article and image.

orulz

Thing is, Ridge Road did not like the new direct connection to Glenwood. But they could have just eliminated the Ridge Road connection entirely, by connecting Ridge directly to Varnell instead of to Glenwood and the interchange) and then Ridge Road would have had nothing of substance to complain about.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-05-17-pitt-county-pipe-replacement-ayden.aspx

QuoteAYDEN — A section of a Pitt County road will be closed for approximately three weeks while the N.C. Department of Transportation replaces a large pipe under the roadway.

N.C. 102 in Ayden will be closed between N.C. 11 South and Pleasant Plain Road. The closure will begin at 7 a.m. June 10 and last through 5 p.m. June 28. During this time, crews will replace a storm drain cross line in front of Walgreen's. If the contractor finishes the work early, the road will reopen sooner.

Traffic will be detoured onto Pleasant Plain Road and Old Snow Hill Road.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and use caution when approaching the work zone.

This construction is part of the Southwest Bypass, which will be a four-lane, 12.6-mile freeway going between two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrapping around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and ending at the U.S. 264 Bypass, west of Greenville. The new highway should open in 2020.

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on June 19, 2019, 03:57:33 PM
The new highway should open in 2020.
Guess it got pushed back again? A recall an article a few months ago saying it could be done as early as November.

LM117

3 of the 4 lanes of the new US-17 bypass in Jones and Onslow counties will open early tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-19-onslow-jones-bypass-lanes-opening.aspx

kevinb1994

Quote from: LM117 on June 19, 2019, 06:15:31 PM
3 of the 4 lanes of the new US-17 bypass in Jones and Onslow counties will open early tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-19-onslow-jones-bypass-lanes-opening.aspx
Awesome, that will be much appreciated come next year for the upcoming and planned OBX Meet.

tolbs17

I wanted to see Greenville to Jacksonville and to Wilmington to have an I-97 designation and I-99 from Wilmington to Williamston.

I-97 can just end at us 64.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/TRAFFIC-ALERT--Part-of-US-264-interchange-in-Greenville-closing-for-one-month-510018381.html

QuoteGREENVILLE, NC (WITN) - If you frequently travel a popular highway in one Eastern Carolina city you should expect delays for the next month.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation says the exit ramp taking traffic off of US 264 to Stantonburg Road in Greenville will be closed, starting Monday.

The closure is due to construction on the Southwest Greenville Bypass which will connect Highway 11, south of Ayden, to the cloverleaf intersection at US 264.

If you're on MLK Highway, also known as U.S. 264, and wanting to get into Greenville onto Stantonsburg Road, you'll have to stay on U.S. 264 toward Wilson until the next exit, Mozingo Road, turn around and then come back east.

Contractors will be replacing the approach slabs for the bridge at the interchange and it will take a month.

The DOT says the new bypass is scheduled to be open by November.

According to this, it says November. And the dates are very similar to LM117's.

LM117

Nighttime closures of the US-74 bridge over the Cape Fear River in Wilmington begins tonight.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-20-isabel-holmes-nightly-closures.aspx

LM117

A public meeting is being held in Shallotte on June 24 to discuss proposed improvements to both intersections of US-17/US-17 Business north and south of town.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-20-public-meeting-brunswick-county-intersections-shallotte.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on June 20, 2019, 03:38:21 PM
A public meeting is being held in Shallotte on June 24 to discuss proposed improvements to both intersections of US-17/US-17 Business north and south of town.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-20-public-meeting-brunswick-county-intersections-shallotte.aspx
The project website claims the traffic signals would be removed, though the public hearing maps show otherwise...

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 20, 2019, 05:04:26 PM
Quote from: LM117 on June 20, 2019, 03:38:21 PM

The project website claims the traffic signals would be removed, though the public hearing maps show otherwise...

So the project will build RCIs (reduced conflict, no-left-turns intersections) and not interchanges. Another blow to the idea, very popular in the forum, that NCDOT intends to upgrade all of US 17 to an interstate highway.

sprjus4

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 20, 2019, 06:41:28 PM
So the project will build RCIs (reduced conflict, no-left-turns intersections) and not interchanges. Another blow to the idea, very popular in the forum, that NCDOT intends to upgrade all of US 17 to an interstate highway.
NCDOT and SCDOT are currently studying extending the Carolina Bays Parkway from the current northern terminus to the Shallote Bypass, as a new-location freeway facility, and that would either bypass with RCI they are currently proposing, and pretty much abandon it as US-17 traffic would likely be routed on US-17 Business into Shallote, and that small leg of the bypass would close to accommodate the parkway tying into the rest of it, or the Parkway would tie into US-17 right before the bypass starts, and would likely finish off by constructing an interchange where they all would meet, where the RCI is currently going.

As for the northern intersection, no official plans for that stretch becoming a freeway in the short-term, though likely a freeway would be built new-location and "extend" the existing Shallote Bypass and tie back into the Bolivia Bypass / relocated segment.

Related to the "freeway" upgrade, while these two intersections are being converted to RCIs on the ends of the bypass, this intersection on the bypass and where a US-17 freeway would likely pass through is being converted into a full grade-separated interchange.

LM117

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-06-21-jones-county-ten-mile-fork-road-closure.aspx

QuotePOLLOCKSVILLE- Beginning early next week, the N.C. Department of Transportation will close a section of a Jones County road.

Plans are to close Ten Mile Fork Road starting at 6 p.m. June 24 and reopen it at 7 p.m. June 25. A contractor will pour the concrete deck for a bridge over the Pollocksville road.

Traffic will be detoured from Ten Mile Fork Road using Scott Road, Oak Grove Road and Killis Murphy Road/ Loop Road. Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and slow down when approaching the work zone.

This construction is part of a 16.3-mile project which starts south of Belgrade and ties into the U.S. 17 bypass around New Bern. The project costs about $143.4 million and is expected to be complete later this year.

wdcrft63

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 20, 2019, 06:55:08 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 20, 2019, 06:41:28 PM
NCDOT and SCDOT are currently studying extending the Carolina Bays Parkway from the current northern terminus to the Shallote Bypass, as a new-location freeway facility, and that would either bypass with RCI they are currently proposing, and pretty much abandon it as US-17 traffic would likely be routed on US-17 Business into Shallote, and that small leg of the bypass would close to accommodate the parkway tying into the rest of it, or the Parkway would tie into US-17 right before the bypass starts, and would likely finish off by constructing an interchange where they all would meet, where the RCI is currently going.

As for the northern intersection, no official plans for that stretch becoming a freeway in the short-term, though likely a freeway would be built new-location and "extend" the existing Shallote Bypass and tie back into the Bolivia Bypass / relocated segment.

Related to the "freeway" upgrade, while these two intersections are being converted to RCIs on the ends of the bypass, this intersection on the bypass and where a US-17 freeway would likely pass through is being converted into a full grade-separated interchange.
I've driven this road countless times visiting aging relatives in Myrtle Beach, so I'm much in favor of a freeway conversion. NCDOT's map of the current study area is here:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/carolina-bays-parkway/Documents/vicinity-map.pdf

CanesFan27

I've had this on my to do list for a long time but I finally have finished a feature on the decade long battle to complete Interstate 95 in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

A few things of note:
- The appeals came from local businesses along US 301 hoping to route I-95 on what is now Business 95/US 301 in Fayetteville
- The case went all the way to the Supreme Court but was not taken.
- The I-95 Committee's attempt to find  any way (often at the last possible minute) to change the routing.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/governor-hunt-cuts-ribbon-on-doomsday.html

wdcrft63

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 22, 2019, 10:23:36 PM
I've had this on my to do list for a long time but I finally have finished a feature on the decade long battle to complete Interstate 95 in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

A few things of note:
- The appeals came from local businesses along US 301 hoping to route I-95 on what is now Business 95/US 301 in Fayetteville
- The I-95 Committee's attempt to find  any way (often at the last possible minute) to change the routing.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/governor-hunt-cuts-ribbon-on-doomsday.html
Thanks for a very interesting account!

jcarte29

Quote from: wdcrft63 on June 23, 2019, 06:37:50 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 22, 2019, 10:23:36 PM

A few things of note:

Thanks for a very interesting account!

Outstanding blog post! It's so neat to read my state's history like that. Also, as someone who grew up in Winston-Salem, I was alive for and do remember the construction of "New 40" and until I would travel to High Point I had no idea Business Interstates could be anything less than freeway after being used to "Old 40" through my city :)
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.