News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Why don't option lane BGSs...
Last post by paulthemapguy - Today at 10:57:20 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 27, 2024, 11:19:32 AMI loathe exit only signage over option lanes.  I don't care if it's MUTCD compliant; I hate it.  "EXIT ONLY" should mean that if you're in that lane, there's no way out.

I completely agree.  Especially with signs that use downward arrows.  The point of the yellow color is to warn people, and the yellow color in the exit tab is meant to warn those in that lane that they must merge out of that lane in order to continue forward on the mainline.  If the lane is not an exit only lane, it must not be marked with yellow on the sign! Option lanes should not have yellow. I think this might be one reason some agencies are leaning toward APLs, which eliminate this confusion.
Northeast / Re: General PA Design/Construc...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 10:55:24 AM
(For PA 51)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 51 Ramp to Northbound I-79 10-day Closure Begins Friday in Robinson Township

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing the 10-day closure of the ramp carrying traffic from Route 51 (Coraopolis Road) to northbound I-79 in Robinson Township, Allegheny County will begin, Friday, May 10 through Tuesday, May 21 weather permitting.

The ramp carrying traffic from Route 51 to northbound I-79 will close to traffic from 7 p.m. Friday night through 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 21 to allow crews to conduct ramp reconstruction work. Ramp traffic will be detoured. Please use caution when traveling through the work zone.

Posted Detour

From the closed ramp, head north on Route 51

Turn right and cross the Coraopolis Bridge

Continue along Grand Avenue

Take the ramp to northbound I-79 toward Erie

End Detour

This work is part of the $43.9 million I-79 "S-Bend" Project that includes full-depth pavement reconstruction, bridge preservation work on five mainline structures (I-79 northbound and southbound over Clever Road, I-79 northbound and southbound over Route 51, and the Neville Island Bridge). Additionally, there will be milling and paving of three ramps at the Route 51 (Coraopolis/McKees Rocks) interchange. The project also includes guiderail replacement, highway lighting and signing upgrades, new pavement markings and delineation, and other miscellaneous construction work.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices

Traffic Control / Re: Guess the State Route Chal...
Last post by paulthemapguy - Today at 10:53:22 AM
One of these guesses is very very close. But no one has it yet.
Off-Topic / Re: How do you define the Midw...
Last post by webny99 - Today at 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on Today at 09:43:17 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 07, 2024, 12:23:36 PMAs always, it's more about how people from a certain place define themselves than outside opinions.

[img snipped]

I would love to see how Ohio breaks down. My guess is there is a line, roughly along the I-77 corridor, that separates the Ohioans who think they are in the east from the Ohioans who think they are in the midwest.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that there are very few Ohioans who consider themselves to be from the East (or Northeast). Southern OH is pretty much the anti-Northeast. The 22% who don't consider themselves Midwestern are probably split between Great Lakes/Ohio Valley/Rust Belt/Appalachia.
Off-Topic / Re: Most irritating emoji
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 10:37:51 AM
I'll vote for the "high five" emoji that people use as prayer hands.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 10:34:45 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on Today at 07:08:32 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on Today at 12:02:16 AMI was connecting at Hobby Airport yesterday and at the gate next to where I was boarding for my onward flight back home, I overheard this:

Southwest Airlines gate agent (calmly): "Good Evening sir, what airport are you flying to tonight?"
Southwest Airlines Passenger (upset):  "I'm going to California ma'am."
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "Okay, do you know which airport?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (irate):  "I just told you, California!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calmly): "I understand sir, but which airport exactly?"
Southwest Airlines passenger (angrily):  "What part of 'California' do you not understand ma'am?!"
Southwest Airlines gate agent (still calm):  "There are a lot of airports in California, I just need to know which one."
Southwest Airlines passenger (blows fuse):  "I need to speak to your manager, NOW!!!"

I felt really terrible; it seems that airline agents are kicked in the head way more than any other customer service profession.  I wish airlines would provide trauma assistance every week for their employees.

Campbeltown Airport in Scotland it is then. (IATA code: CAL)

At least you'd be able to drink some Springbank.
Off-Topic / Re: How do you define the Midw...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 10:33:14 AM
I would bet it's a line marking 40 miles away from West Virginia or less.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Kentucky
Last post by seicer - Today at 10:24:51 AM
New Google Map aerials for the Richwood Road interchange project are now available here. I wasn't aware they had built an interchange at US 25. Interestingly, there is a very wide overpass for CSX's CC line, which was recently downgraded and single-tracked for most of its length. I wonder if they are planning for a small yard or passing track here, but given that this line isn't growing - perhaps it's for wishful thinking?
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: New US 51 - Cairo Bridge
Last post by seicer - Today at 10:16:25 AM
If anyone is interested, I have a writeup and photo gallery of Cairo at my site, Abandoned: https://abandonedonline.net/location/cairo/
Traffic Control / Re: FADED Beyond Recognition
Last post by formulanone - Today at 10:09:04 AM
Almost all of the shields on Tennessee Truck 7 in Ardmore look like this:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.