AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 03:29:37 AM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by amroad17
So, it seems that I-26 has gained some new 'official' mileage.

It's no longer 'Future' between Exits #9 & #13 per signage.

Between Exits 11 & 13 going 'SB' ('EB'):
May '13, no I-26 shield.
Apr '18, I-26 now there.

But, then again, same segment, but instead going 'NB' ('WB'):
No I-26 shield here, at any historical StreetView capture.

Then we have between Exits 9 & 11 going 'SB':
May '13, no I-26 shield.
Apr '18, now I-26 shield is there, plus the US-19/23 shields have been shifted a little bit farther south to join it.
(no corresponding shields going the other direction between these two exits)

Also, if you look down at the crossroad @ Exit 13, you're greeted with the following from Sep '21 imagery clearly showing this is the end of the 'official' I-26 right now:
https://goo.gl/maps/ASiC2Z1UazC8hRDT9 = Future EB I-26
https://goo.gl/maps/TYHfi4aC4LmRe2L49 = WB I-26
I-26 looks Interstate standard from EXIT 13 to EXIT 9 now.  Must have improved the shoulders.  South of EXIT 13, the shoulders are minimal--enough to fit rumble strips on.

on: Today at 03:21:07 AM 
Started by vtk - Last post by amroad17
This appears to be the beginning to transform the area into a Kennedy off-ramp from I-71.

Maybe mods can include the entirety of I-71 in this thread since we are discussing an area 53 miles south of the "cut-off" point.  :nod:

on: Today at 03:14:56 AM 
Started by doglover44 - Last post by amroad17
Remember, there are some parts of Ohio (Cincinnati) that are usually 15 years behind the times.  It took Ohio DOT (or local officials) to widen I-71 from four to six lanes around Kings Island 25 years after it opened in 1972.  :-/

Next thing areas may experience would be HOV lanes.  Give some areas 50 years and they may construct HOT lanes.

on: Today at 03:01:03 AM 
Started by mukade - Last post by amroad17
I believe INDOT did the smart and easy thing by adding 200 to the existing exits north of Indianapolis.  For example, why change EXIT 111 to EXIT 295?  Just easier to make it EXIT 311, retaining a semblance of the prior exit number.  Yes, they could have placed OLD EXIT XX signs along with the "new" exit numbers, however, INDOT saved some money by doing the add 200 procedure and letting the public know they were going to do this.  Besides, the only instances where an OLD EXIT XX sign should be erected is when a DOT changes from sequential exit numbers to mile-based exit numbers.

Look at I-17 in Arizona.  Is I-17 340 miles long, based on the exit number for I-40 in Flagstaff, AZ?  No, it is just shy of 146 miles long.  I-17's mile markers begin at 194 at I-10 in Phoenix.  When first commissioned, I-17 began at I-10 northwest of Phoenix as EXIT 200.  I-17 actually began as AZ 69, which itself had its southern terminus at US 60/US 89.  "Arizona had a milepost system in which a branching route that began at the "host" route would retain the existing milepost from that point.  In this case AZ 69 was considered a branch of US 89.  AZ 69 began at milepost 201.6, so AZ 69 counted up from 201.  I-17 inherited the milepost numbers from AZ 69 when I-17 was commissioned." (Wikipedia)

Would having the correct mileposts be wonderful?  Sure, it would.  It could be a psychological thing, especially on long trips.  However, it really does not matter if the mileposts are "off".  Most post interchange signs do not give the distance to the state line, mainly control points/cities are posted.  Besides, most all of us use some sort of internet mapping system to determine how far (and how much time) it is from Point A to Point B.

on: Today at 02:43:50 AM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by dbz77
Question about US 101.  Are there any stop lights along it between LA and SF? 

I know itís not all freeway between the two, but that doesnít mean it has to have at grades with signals.  I know that north of SF, you get expressway segments and two lane segments  there that do not have busy intersections to warrant signals.

I thought I heard someone post here a while back, that Caltrans made improvements to eliminate some of the signals making the first signal north of Greater Los Angeles further away from the big metro than what once was.

The last signals on (the) 101 were in Santa Barbara, four in a row downtown, that resulted in monumental traffic jams.  They were removed ~30 years ago with completion of the freeway.  There are flashing beacons at some crossings in expressway segments but otherwise there's nothing from LA to SF.  North of SF, with completion of the Willits bypass there are no signals until Eureka.
In which intersections were these signals located?

on: Today at 02:37:32 AM 
Started by vtk - Last post by Great Lakes Roads
Is the Kennedy Ave overpass supposed to be replaced?  The reason I am asking is this: https://goo.gl/maps/HYnMQ1XvFvXBbQiV9

Maybe that is why EXIT 8C is closed.  From other street views, currently there is not a ramp leading from I-71 North to Kennedy--only a closed ramp from Kennedy to I-71 North.

EXIT 8C used to be signed for Ridge Ave North (8A was for Ridge Ave South), however, that loop ramp is also currently closed.  It will probably be demolished whenever the Kennedy ramp is constructed, I guess.

Obviously, a reconstructed ramp from Kennedy to I-71 North will be done as seen by how close the new EXIT 9 overhead sign was placed so close to the current ramp.
 https://goo.gl/maps/FThxH9R5DSGoR98p8  I cannot see using the current ramp with the structure that close to the road surface.

It looks like EXIT 8C got removed permanently, as seen here on Ridge Ave: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1666885,-84.4232852,3a,75y,72.83h,83.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5cHtdL4MngvKHIKUEE16vA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

on: Today at 02:17:16 AM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by Techknow
My question is why is each tube striped for single lane?Wouldnít it been more logical to build one tube for two way traffic?  Yes itís safer but still a waste of money for a state that claims itís broke.  Or for any state unless they are being proactive for future expansion.
I drove thru the tunnel three weeks ago and can guess it's striped that way to allow for a shoulder in case of an emergency stop. Also the inner side of each tunnel has emergency exits. (the Alaskan Way replacement tunnel has similar exits although it's a single tube) The safe exits likely would have influenced the tunnel design?

on: Today at 02:01:53 AM 
Started by vtk - Last post by amroad17
Is the Kennedy Ave overpass supposed to be replaced?  The reason I am asking is this: https://goo.gl/maps/HYnMQ1XvFvXBbQiV9

Maybe that is why EXIT 8C is closed.  From other street views, currently there is not a ramp leading from I-71 North to Kennedy--only a closed ramp from Kennedy to I-71 North.

EXIT 8C used to be signed for Ridge Ave North (8A was for Ridge Ave South), however, that loop ramp is also currently closed.  It will probably be demolished whenever the Kennedy ramp is constructed, I guess.

Obviously, a reconstructed ramp from Kennedy to I-71 North will be done as seen by how close the new EXIT 9 overhead sign was placed so close to the current ramp.
 https://goo.gl/maps/FThxH9R5DSGoR98p8  I cannot see using the current ramp with the structure that close to the road surface.

on: Today at 01:46:18 AM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by rickmastfan67
So, it seems that I-26 has gained some new 'official' mileage.

It's no longer 'Future' between Exits #9 & #13 per signage.

Between Exits 11 & 13 going 'SB' ('EB'):
May '13, no I-26 shield.
Apr '18, I-26 now there.

But, then again, same segment, but instead going 'NB' ('WB'):
No I-26 shield here, at any historical StreetView capture.

Then we have between Exits 9 & 11 going 'SB':
May '13, no I-26 shield.
Apr '18, now I-26 shield is there, plus the US-19/23 shields have been shifted a little bit farther south to join it.
(no corresponding shields going the other direction between these two exits)

Also, if you look down at the crossroad @ Exit 13, you're greeted with the following from Sep '21 imagery clearly showing this is the end of the 'official' I-26 right now:
https://goo.gl/maps/ASiC2Z1UazC8hRDT9 = Future EB I-26
https://goo.gl/maps/TYHfi4aC4LmRe2L49 = WB I-26

on: Today at 01:43:15 AM 
Started by kphoger - Last post by CtrlAltDel
Lunar eclipses. The moon is slightly redder than usual. That doesn't excite me all that much.

Neal DeGrasse Tyson has joined the chat.

My wife and I went outside to look at it for maybe 30 seconds.

They're much more common than solar eclipses, which probably dulls the enthusiasm too.

That I actually did bother to stop for during my trip to the UP in 2017.

I drove about 175 miles to see totality for that one. It's definitely a much more memorable experience.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.