News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Triangle Expressway

Started by 74/171FAN, July 16, 2009, 09:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Article from the 5k on the yet to be open NC 147 section of the TriEx yesterday:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/21/1660510/runners-pound-new-triangle-expressway.html

We ran from the Dobson Road Exit (Exit 3) to I-40 (Exit 5) and back. Didn't have time to stick around and take photos as we had to head over to the arena for the Hurricanes/Maple Leafs game.  But there are a number of photos on the N&O website.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/20/1660059/first-look-triangle-expressway.html

The exit 1 overhead shown with the article is huge!  As for the road itself - there's a few areas near the I-40 exit that still needs striping and signs on the on/off ramps and NC 147 Toll Reassurance markers needs to be installed.

OracleUsr

At least they use the black on yellow LEFT banner on the sign.  I've seen that used so spottily in NC

I thought that advance guide sign for I-540/NC 540 on I-40 East in RTP was big...but then again, diagrammaticals SHOULD be bigger
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

OracleUsr

But that does raise (pun intended) an interesting question.  Is the raised cap configuration on that diagrammatical sign right?  The cardinal directions look awfully small.

And for the AGS's for I-40, the raised caps are barely perceptible, something I've noticed on other upgraded guide signs in NC.

Alps

The ratio should be in the range of 4:3 to 6:5. 10" initial / 8" others or 12"/10" are typical. Next step up is 15"/12".

OracleUsr

Ah, okay, that makes sense.  I've seen raised caps on BGS on NC signs of varying ratios, and now it makes sense.

CanesFan27

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

OracleUsr

ROAD TRIP (was going to go to Chapel Hill and Raleigh anyway this or next weekend)

CanesFan27

Eh, I'll most likely will drive it on Saturday.  More interested in how the Davis Drive interchange in 540 has been reconfigured.

Alps

CanesFan27

Yes through the end of the month.

As the Gaston County motto so wisely says, "If it's free, it's for me."

Takumi

Hmm. I may have to check it out once I have my car worked on, then.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CanesFan27

You're better off waiting til the whole thing is open later this year...yeah you will have to pay tolls for part of it.  But it's more worth while than really two-three miles of new road.  It's not that terribly exciting.

NJRoadfan

Free to the end of the month is good, I get to check it out while I'm down there after Christmas.

Takumi

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 06, 2011, 11:07:01 PM
You're better off waiting til the whole thing is open later this year...yeah you will have to pay tolls for part of it.  But it's more worth while than really two-three miles of new road.  It's not that terribly exciting.

I'll wait then. I want to take the car on a trip that's about 50-100 miles in each direction first anyway to see how it does.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

HazMatt

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 06, 2011, 01:56:54 PM
Eh, I'll most likely will drive it on Saturday.  More interested in how the Davis Drive interchange in 540 has been reconfigured.

I get to drive it tomorrow, yay!  My understanding is that the Davis Drive/Kit Creek Road exit is permanently closed and those ramps are now for the interchange with NC 147.  147 will have an interchange with Davis Drive north of 540, which really stinks for people needing to go south on Davis.  Supposedly there is not enough room to safely accommodate an exit there for Davis or Kit Creek.  The good news is that 540 will not be tolled until the next section to Holly Springs opens sometime next year.

They are also planning the "Triangle Connector", which will connect 147 with I-85 via US 70.  Looks like it'll join the current freeway portion of US 70 and build a new freeway to 147 between exits 8 (Ellis Rd.) and 10 (Briggs Ave.).  http://www.letsgetmoving.org/priorities/connector/

Alps

Hoping that they pull an ICC and temporarily remove tolls on the entire road for a few weeks when the second part opens.

goobnav

To all in regular toll land if the photo toll works here, don't be surprised if it shows up in your area soon.  Hey VA, won't be surprised if 95 is the next one with this toll system. :hmmm:
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

CanesFan27

Maggie drove it yesterday on her way home from Durham.  She made an interesting point.  Instead of 40-147 and the usual backup's at that tie in and through RTP, she suggested that 147 to NC 540 to I-40 may be a good alternative (even with the tolls) for when I-40 is backed up.

Thoughts?

goobnav

Will only drive it when it is free and I need to, being that I am in Durham and really close to work, no need to drive it.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

mgk920

I'm just a bit curious here, what was the original plan for NC 147 southwest of I-40?  I note that when that interchange was first built, the NC 147 roadway stubs pointed due southwest and now the extended roadway runs more towards the southeast.

Mike

CanesFan27

It's pretty much following the original plan.  The curve was built as a means to connect to TW Alexander. The right of way for 147 was always preserved within RTP.

NE2

Are there still plans to take something southeast from the 147-540 interchange?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfilpus

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2011, 03:36:45 PM
Are there still plans to take something southeast from the 147-540 interchange?
There are paved stubs to continue southeast, so they are ready to continue into Cary someday.

CanesFan27

My friend Chris Allen, was on the TriEx yesterday, and noticed a few things.  One where 147 and 540 meet will be where 540 goes from east/west to North/south.  Also, he covers briefly the proposed extension of McCrimmon Parkway to the Triangle Expressway.  The ramps that NE2 refers to.

http://actionallen.blogspot.com/2011/12/triangle-parkway.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.