News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 31, 2022, 09:47:20 PM
They are replacing mileposts that are attached to other signs (like speed limit signs) first. The standalone ones are done last as they appear to be replacing the posts too. Don't know why they aren't using enhanced markers like NJDOT.

Personally, I find using the EMMs every .2 miles on freeway grade roads is kind of overkill, but that's a personal opinion. Having an EMM at every mile marker should be sufficient. The more important thing is a motorist being able to find what MM they're closest to when reporting an accident or being stranded, most will know they're on the Turnpike or Parkway without an EMM shield telling them this.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on April 03, 2022, 02:24:26 PM
They are replacing mileposts that are attached to other signs (like speed limit signs) first. The standalone ones are done last as they appear to be replacing the posts too. Don't know why they aren't using enhanced markers like NJDOT.

Personally, I find using the EMMs every .2 miles on freeway grade roads is kind of overkill
, but that's a personal opinion. Having an EMM at every mile marker should be sufficient. The more important thing is a motorist being able to find what MM they're closest to when reporting an accident or being stranded, most will know they're on the Turnpike or Parkway without an EMM shield telling them this.

It might be, but I like them. Overkill or not, I wish the other agencies and states used them.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on April 03, 2022, 03:18:30 PM

Personally, I find using the EMMs every .2 miles on freeway grade roads is kind of overkill
, but that's a personal opinion. Having an EMM at every mile marker should be sufficient. The more important thing is a motorist being able to find what MM they're closest to when reporting an accident or being stranded, most will know they're on the Turnpike or Parkway without an EMM shield telling them this.

It might be, but I like them. Overkill or not, I wish the other agencies and states used them.

Most other states use the EMM at every mile marker and sometimes half mile marker and then use either the standard milemarker for the tenths or something different (or like New York State which just has their reference markers otherwise).

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on April 05, 2022, 05:34:07 PM
Quote from: famartin on April 03, 2022, 03:18:30 PM

Most other states use the EMM at every mile marker and sometimes half mile marker and then use either the standard milemarker for the tenths or something different (or like New York State which just has their reference markers otherwise).

I realize, I live in VA where I haven't even seen them to my recollection.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Y3iwFDSCPkU4ucxQ9

Is that begin NJTA placecard beneath the entrance guide a permanent thing the NJTA is now doing at all Parkway Entrance Ramps?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2022, 03:56:27 AM

Is that begin NJTA placecard beneath the entrance guide a permanent thing the NJTA is now doing at all Parkway Entrance Ramps?

I think so, I've seen them in other places lately.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on May 05, 2022, 05:07:03 AM

Wonder why Google blurred out the TOLL warning?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2022, 08:38:42 AM

Just the vagaries of how the GSV photos get taken. Slide back a bit and it's not blurred. No idea why that happens, may just have to do with how their algorithm stitches all the pictures together from the camera.

Stephane Dumas

That setup reminds me of the old exit signs we had in Quebec until the late 1980s.

dgolub

Quote from: storm2k on May 06, 2022, 12:57:18 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2022, 08:38:42 AM

Just the vagaries of how the GSV photos get taken. Slide back a bit and it's not blurred. No idea why that happens, may just have to do with how their algorithm stitches all the pictures together from the camera.

Because the algorithm is too stupid to realize that it's a sign rather than someone's license plate!

roadman65

Just like the infamous FB Fact Check algorithm doesn't know that Jackie Robinson played for the Brooklyn Dodgers when I posted that he played for the Yankees on Facebook to see if the Fact Checkers were human.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 24, 2022, 07:08:05 AM
Just like the infamous FB Fact Check algorithm doesn't know that Jackie Robinson played for the Brooklyn Dodgers when I posted that he played for the Yankees on Facebook to see if the Fact Checkers were human.
Or, the algorithm takes into account the very tiny effect one solitary false post has instead of other false ideas that start getting shared.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tsmatt13

A bit random, but I really like the little "116" tab on the exit ramp to the PNC Bank Arts Center. No "exit" sign, just the number.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3883401,-74.1770708,3a,15y,317.55h,89.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so819SD46jcj7v0aiuM5CRw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

SignBridge

Believe it or not that's what most exit tabs looked like on the GSP back in the 1960's, except they were green of course.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on June 19, 2022, 08:29:12 PM
Believe it or not that's what most exit tabs looked like on the GSP back in the 1960's, except they were green of course.
Into the 2000s at least you still saw plenty of these!

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2022, 12:21:09 AM
^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hubcity

My memory includes signs as you headed south of the Raritan being fully framed in wood. Here's an example:

Do any (better) pictures of that sign style exist? I could have sworn that numbered exits had an extra block of wood at the center top, providing a bit of extra height that the exit numbers could be mounted on.

Alps

Quote from: hubcity on June 20, 2022, 09:47:29 PM

My memory includes signs as you headed south of the Raritan being fully framed in wood. Here's an example:

Do any (better) pictures of that sign style exist? I could have sworn that numbered exits had an extra block of wood at the center top, providing a bit of extra height that the exit numbers could be mounted on.

I thought until recently some of the 116 (Arts Center) exit signs were framed in wood, whether it was SB local or on the roadways in the Arts Center itself I don't exactly recall...

roadman65

I remember the gore sign for the Arts Center had a frame in wood even into the nineties I recall.

There was a wood frame sign on the NJDOT portion of the Parkway in Union at the pedestrian overpass just north of Exit 138.  Even though the state maintained that up until 1986, the NJHA then erected a 2 mile FOOD FUEL sign at the base of the pedestrian bridge on State Property and it was framed in wood too.

Anyone remember the wooden fence in the median going through the meadows of Bass River Township in South Jersey as well as through Irvington, Newark, and East Orange?  My dad said it was not for safety, as in the 1050's median crossovers were not heard of then, but for headlight glare as the wood fence would keep light from crossing over the median.  NJDOT (or the NJ Highway Dept) had a dirt fill in the median on their part between Iselin and Union to deter headlight glare.

My Fourth Grade Teacher said the Parkway was originally built as a safe highway and part of that feature was to have oncoming headlight glare eliminated with the use of center guard rails and fences as well as the raised median with the hill on state parts.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

I remember that fence thru the Newark area. The vertical slats were angled to deflect the headlight glare. Smart thinking for its time. And I assume it provided crossover protection as well, which I agree was not really an engineering consideration until the 1960's.

plain

I remember someone telling me a car crashed into the fence. Not long afterwards the fence was removed. I doubt that's the reason for the removal though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

Quote from: plain on June 24, 2022, 02:14:07 PM
I remember someone telling me a car crashed into the fence. Not long afterwards the fence was removed. I doubt that's the reason for the removal though.

No Jersey walls are the thing.  Even roads that used the metal guardrail replaced them with Jersey Barriers as well.  Roads like the NJ and PA Turnpikes, US 22 in the Lehigh Valley area, and both I-78 and I-83 that had them continuously down the center for miles and miles all now have the concrete walls.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

New Jersey Turnpike still uses the steel W-beam guide rail to separate the two sets of lanes in the same direction.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2022, 12:21:09 AM

I remember them from when I was a kid, early 80's. We used to go to Mantoloking to go sailing. Exit 88 IIRC.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on June 26, 2022, 08:08:03 PM
New Jersey Turnpike still uses the steel W-beam guide rail to separate the two sets of lanes in the same direction.

Yes because the result of a crossover would not be as deadly as one  crossing over if opposing cars or trucks collided head on.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.