AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Introduction to tolbs17  (Read 22397 times)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: Introduction to tolbs17
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2020, 12:58:14 AM »

The first forum I ever joined when I was 13 already had a user named "Scott" so I used the first four digits of the UPC code on a box of Ziploc bags.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J3ebrules

• Last Login: February 28, 2024, 01:19:47 PM
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »

My username is a callback to my email address and the username I’ve been using since I was 12. It’s my first initial and “3eb (Third Eye Blind) Rules” . It’s been 20 years now and I’ve never been creative enough to come up with anything better.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

index

• Chief Sisyphean Affairs Officer

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 06:42:34 PM
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »

I got the current "index" moniker back in 2015 when a username I had got reset because it was all Ws. Something like WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Which was within the allowed character limit but so long it broke stuff on the site. So I just pulled "index" out of nowhere from the first thing I saw on my screen. These days I don't really like it but oh well. I'm more likely to use the actual name I go by these days which is my middle name, Scott.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »

And, see now, mine is just my first two initials followed by my last name.  Not very creative, I suppose.

On another site or two, I have a username that is based on the Mexican word for "pestle"–for no particular reason, other than that I own a Mexican mortar and pestle that I like.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »

On another site or two, I have a username that is based on the Mexican word for "pestle"–for no particular reason, other than that I own a Mexican mortar and pestle that I like.

El majadero? I just looked it up out of curiosity, and Google also suggests that this word can also mean "silly" or "birdbrain".

kphoger

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2020, 12:45:45 PM »

El majadero? I just looked it up out of curiosity, and Google also suggests that this word can also mean "silly" or "birdbrain".

Nope, never heard that word before–although I'm far from fluent, so there are a LOT of words I've never heard before.   :spin:

I'm talking about the Mexican term for it, which derives from the Náhuatl language.

Mortar = Molcajete (derived from mollicaxtli)
Pestle = Tejolote (derived from texolotl)
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2020, 03:15:26 PM »

Google Translate is notoriously uneven in quality, so it's entirely possible that a lot of native Spanish speakers have never heard that word before either! :-D

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

Google Translate is notoriously uneven in quality, so it's entirely possible that a lot of native Spanish speakers have never heard that word before either! :-D

Heh, I used it once to translate something into Russian and the native Russian speakers who saw my comment started ridiculing it as obviously being from Google Translate because it was so bad.  :-(
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

I've found that it gets pretty close–at least very intelligible.  But regional lingo is just something that a computer can't really handle well.  I mean...

...how much can you really expect of Google Translate?
Male pronouns, please.

• Last Login: Today at 05:52:33 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2020, 04:56:04 PM »

I've noticed something about Google Translate. Enter 5 PM in English.

These languages will say 17:
French, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Dutch, Afrikaans, Danish, Czech, Serbian, Yiddish, Slovenian, Slovak

These languages will say 5:
Spanish, German, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Russian, Chinese (both), Indonesian

Why are Spanish, German, and Russian in the 5 category, while all other Romance languages, Germanic languages (except English), and Slavic languages say 17? Yiddish and Hebrew are also in different categories.

(What would be really weird is if trying a different number results in a different set of languages. I haven't tested this.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:42:36 AM
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2020, 05:17:22 AM »

I think it reflects usage in each language. However, in Spain hours are mostly written on a 24 hour clock, while in spoken language the 12 hour clock is used. For 5 p.m. I would write "las 17:00", but say "las cinco". A special case arises with 1 p.m., in which I write "la 13:00" to reflect spoken language ("la una"), even though it doesn't make sense at first glance.

This is the first time I see that. And I'm a native Spanish speaker.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 10:12:07 PM »

Who thinks I should be called mrhappy1261 again? It seems like many of you like me called mrhappy1261 better than tolbs17. or maybe i should just be called MrHappy or just "tolbs" since 1261 are just random numbers. I'm not 17 years old anymore.

It's up to you, whatever you want people to call you.  It sounds like people call you "tolbs".  I'm not a mod (so I can't promise anything), but I would like to think there shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to change your user name from "tolbs17" to "tolbs".
I used to be tolbs17 on many platforms. Instagram, Battle Dawn, possibly on reddit too, but I'm fine tolbs17. People will KNOW when I first joined this forum (well I was 16 and not 17) but I was mrhappy1261 when I joined.

snowc

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 01:43:40 PM
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »

Who thinks I should be called mrhappy1261 again? It seems like many of you like me called mrhappy1261 better than tolbs17. or maybe i should just be called MrHappy or just "tolbs" since 1261 are just random numbers. I'm not 17 years old anymore.

It's up to you, whatever you want people to call you.  It sounds like people call you "tolbs".  I'm not a mod (so I can't promise anything), but I would like to think there shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to change your user name from "tolbs17" to "tolbs".
I used to be tolbs17 on many platforms. Instagram, Battle Dawn, possibly on reddit too, but I'm fine tolbs17. People will KNOW when I first joined this forum (well I was 16 and not 17) but I was mrhappy1261 when I joined.
Happy birthday tolbs17! I noticed your birthday age changed to 18.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2021, 09:35:27 PM »

Lol,  thanks, but that was back on July 16, 2020.  :-D

snowc

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 01:43:40 PM
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:39 AM »

Lol,  thanks, but that was back on July 16, 2020.  :-D
Oops.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.