AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Forum Downtime - 02/11/20  (Read 18659 times)

rawmustard

• Posin' with the marker

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
    • Blog
Re: Forum Downtime - 02/11/20
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 01:58:55 PM »

Discord maybe instead of chat?

Discord in particular has received quite a bit of pushback from the chat community.

I'm on quite a few Discord servers already (mostly from Twitch streamers I follow), so what's another server to add to my list?  :spin:

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:10 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »

I want a compensation for being unable to enter this forum during my morning, as this happened in between 9:00 and 12:00 CET. Most of you may have been unaffected due to this happening during your overnight, but I was affected.

I hope this post is a joke and/or extremely sarcastic, because otherwise it comes off as almost comically entitled and you need to get over yourself.

For someone to say someone else needs to get over themselves when they could easily use one of umpteen number of websites and apps to utilize a live chat function, they need to relax and, even in typed form, realize a joke is a joke.

Besides, if he utilized his time properly, he would've spent it trying to get a broom to stand upright by itself.

Personally I thought it was sarcasm but it brought up an interesting thought on statistics.  Apparently I never have posted between the hours of 1-4 AM which I thought was surprising when I looked it up.  I’m assuming the forum is defaulted to eastern time zone given Alex is located out of it?

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »

I want a compensation for being unable to enter this forum during my morning, as this happened in between 9:00 and 12:00 CET. Most of you may have been unaffected due to this happening during your overnight, but I was affected.

So... like... 50% of your daily aaroads registration fee refunded to you?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »

I hope this post is a joke and/or extremely sarcastic, because otherwise it comes off as almost comically entitled and you need to get over yourself.

It's his way of reminding people we have posters from outside the USA.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:41:59 PM
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »

For someone to say someone else needs to get over themselves when they could easily use one of umpteen number of websites and apps to utilize a live chat function, they need to relax and, even in typed form, realize a joke is a joke.

Besides, if he utilized his time properly, he would've spent it trying to get a broom to stand upright by itself.

Personally I thought it was sarcasm but it brought up an interesting thought on statistics.  Apparently I never have posted between the hours of 1-4 AM which I thought was surprising when I looked it up.  I’m assuming the forum is defaulted to eastern time zone given Alex is located out of it?

I have posted all 24 hours, although very few posts between 2 - 4am.  The least amount of posts during normal times is actually from 4pm - 5pm, probably because I'm driving (or riding in my carpool) home during that hour. 

DaBigE

• Following the LEGO® brick road

• Last Login: April 23, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »

Wow, you're generous. Could you work the phones for my cable/ISP? At most it should be 1/8 of the daily fee (less if the outage didn't take the whole 3 hours).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »

Wow, you're generous. Could you work the phones for my cable/ISP? At most it should be 1/8 of the daily fee (less if the outage didn't take the whole 3 hours).

Shoot, I'd be in favor of refunding 200% of his €0.00, or even more!

(I work in cable, by the way, but I'm not the guy who gives you refunds.)
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

csw

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:01:16 PM
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »

It's his way of reminding people we have posters from outside the USA.
As if we weren't aware already...every single thread about roads in North America has the same comment from him - "Oh, well, we don't have those signs over here in Europe, but I'll still post a tongue-in-cheek response anyways about me not living in North America because this horse that I'm beating is still as dead as it was the last time I posted."

corco

• Just Livin' the Dream

• Last Login: Today at 10:47:40 AM
    • Corcohighways.org
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 05:42:33 PM »

I don't like giving refunds, thats lost revenue- can we give him a free 30 day subscription to the forum instead?

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 05:52:20 PM »

I don't like giving refunds, thats lost revenue- can we give him a free 30 day subscription to the forum instead?

Still doesn't seem like enough though. He did prove the unfair anti-European bias in threads about North America, after all. I propose a 30-day free trial period of AARoads Pro, which has no ads and features unlimited reading and posting privileges.

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:52:44 PM
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »

ATTENTION: If you or a loved one attempted to log in to the AARoads forum between 9:00 to 12:00 Central European Time, YOU may be entitled to substantial compensation! An estimated $100000 has been set aside for the victims of this biased act towards Europeans. Don't wait until it's too late, call 1-800-EUA-RT13 for your FREE legal consultation!

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: January 30, 2022, 01:22:55 AM
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »

"No forum members were hurt with this recent forum downtime! Only their feelings!"
 :D

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:35 PM »

"Several forum members were hurt and sacrificed with this recent forum downtime! Only their spilled blood and consumed souls allowed chat to keep operating until the next sacrifice is required!"
 :D

jeffandnicole

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 09:01:58 PM »

Still doesn't seem like enough though. He did prove the unfair anti-European bias in threads about North America, after all. I propose a 30-day free trial period of AARoads Pro, which has no ads and features unlimited reading and posting privileges.

Don't forget the free complimentary self-concierge services offered via Expedia included as a courtesy at no extra charge.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 04:42:58 PM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2020, 10:26:37 PM »

Just make CNGL type all the "corporate" names of *our* public spaces (i.e. stadium/arenas), that should be enough punishment for him.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

DaBigE

• Following the LEGO® brick road

• Last Login: April 23, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »

Give him full administrator powers for a whole day*. Anything he says, goes...unlimited bannings, reinstatements, purging of topics, quadruple your money back refunds, etc.... no questions asked.

* all-day February 30th
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2020, 05:23:39 AM »

It seems I opened a can of worms with my post, but I had to do it due to when the downtime happened. Although I have to admit, I was a bit angry with it as I didn't notice this thread.
Just make Leudimin type all the "corporate" names of *our* public spaces (i.e. stadium/arenas), that should be enough punishment for him.

Then I would need to go into a long process of claiming royalties from the sponsors, which I don't want.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:44 AM »

It seems I opened a can of worms with my post, but I had to do it due to when the downtime happened. Although I have to admit, I was a bit angry with it as I didn't notice this thread.

No need in getting angry over silly stuff like a for-pleasure Internet site being down. One day last week, we had some sort of router or server issue at work that rendered us dead in the water. No access to the network, not even for documents (most of ours are stored on a server instead of individual computer hard drives for backup purposes.) No email, no Internet, and for awhile our VOIP phone system was down. Even if this wasn't a planned outage for updates (I refuse to call updates "upgrades" because most of the time, they really aren't upgrades at all) then there could have been an unplanned equipment failure somewhere along the line. Stuff happens, much of it out of our control.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »

No need in getting angry over silly stuff like a for-pleasure Internet site being down. One day last week, we had some sort of router or server issue at work that rendered us dead in the water. No access to the network, not even for documents (most of ours are stored on a server instead of individual computer hard drives for backup purposes.) No email, no Internet, and for awhile our VOIP phone system was down. Even if this wasn't a planned outage for updates (I refuse to call updates "upgrades" because most of the time, they really aren't upgrades at all) then there could have been an unplanned equipment failure somewhere along the line. Stuff happens, much of it out of our control.

Heh. We had no Internet or home phone service this weekend (we wound up using my Jetpack-type mobile hotspot for Internet access) because someone in our neighborhood failed to call Miss Utility before having a tree removed and the tree service damaged the fiber optic lines. That was damn annoying, but at least it was fixed before Monday morning for those of us who telecommute.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »

Heh. We had no Internet or home phone service this weekend (we wound up using my Jetpack-type mobile hotspot for Internet access) because someone in our neighborhood failed to call Miss Utility before having a tree removed and the tree service damaged the fiber optic lines. That was damn annoying, but at least it was fixed before Monday morning for those of us who telecommute.

I have an internet and cell phone week come up, it’s something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time.  That said I often wonder how tolerant I would be of things like long work hours, mandatory social engagements, and forced fun would be without access to sites like this.  I seem to recall being bored a lot and listening to a lot more AM radio. 

kphoger

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »

I had to do it

I'm not convinced that's true.
Male pronouns, please.

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 06:35:35 AM »

Just so you know, I gave up 90% of my sleep that day to do this, for free...  Sure, I gave only a 24h warning before doing it, but that was the only chance I had to get it done, & while the forums were less active.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »

In all seriousness, if a lack of forum access actually makes you angry, maybe it's time for a break from the forum anyway.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 08:01:38 AM »

Just so you know, I gave up 90% of my sleep that day to do this, for free...  Sure, I gave only a 24h warning before doing it, but that was the only chance I had to get it done, & while the forums were less active.

Next time, give 24 hours notice, and do it during the day.  We can live for 3 hours without this forum, and you don't need to give up your sleep.  We can take a 3 hour drive and be prepared to report on bad, unusual, and great signage along our way.  Actually, as a huge aside, I was testing a new dash cam I got the other day. Meant to go around the corner for a mile; wound up traveling for over an hour, including some roads 10 miles from my house I've never been down before.  Interesting stuff, including this find: https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=a8670702-7dc6-45bd-8637-30f2b20bf67e&cp=39.79594~-75.35354&lvl=19&dir=269.99844&pi=-7.4385&style=x&mo=z.2.81&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027 .  The doors were shut when I went by, and was loaded with road signs!  Bing at least has this view; GSV only had a single sign; must've been the start of the collection!

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.