News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

West Davis Corridor

Started by US 89, July 25, 2020, 01:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

This project has been thrown around for years now, but we're finally close enough to construction I think it's time for this to get a thread.

Background: essentially, the West Davis Corridor is a future freeway in northwestern Davis County. It has been planned in some capacity since at least 1996, when it was included as part of the governor's Legacy Highway proposal (this also included what became the Legacy Parkway and Mountain View Corridor). A few planning studies were done in the 15 years following, but a draft EIS wasn't done until 2013. UDOT learned from the lawsuits that had plagued Legacy Parkway and engaged environmental groups early on, who naturally opposed the planned freeway and proposed a "shared solution" that would only widen existing roads and add transit. The good news is that a compromise was worked out. Similar to Legacy just to the south, the freeway will have dark sky lighting, noise reducing pavement, and ground-level construction, and there will be a new multi-use trail paralleling the new road. But unlike Legacy, from the beginning the speed limit will be 65 and trucks will be allowed.

The initial phase will build a 4-lane freeway northwest from I-15 and Legacy in Farmington to Antelope Drive in Syracuse, with additional interchanges at Shepard Lane, 200 North in Kaysville, 2700 West in Layton, and 2000 West in Syracuse. Beyond Antelope, it will continue as a super-2 to 1800 North in West Point. Construction is supposed to start this fall and last all the way through winter 2024.

Project website

Rover_0

I've emailed a liaison from UDOT's Region 1, who told me that this route will "NOT have an I designation"  and in UDOT documents as part of SR-67; he even bet me a hamburger for it (whether I take it up that bet remains to be seen), as its still pretty early.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US 89

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 25, 2020, 02:41:30 AM
I’ve emailed a liaison from UDOT’s Region 1, who told me that this route will “NOT have an I designation” and in UDOT documents as part of SR-67; he even bet me a hamburger for it (whether I take it up that bet remains to be seen), as its still pretty early.

I don’t see how this can ultimately be numbered 67 without causing a lot of confusion, especially since a Glovers Lane terminus at 15/Legacy is confirmed now. It would have made more sense as a 67 extension if West Davis had ended at 15 around Shepard Lane, which was thrown around for a while before eventually being eliminated as a possibility.

Looking at the interchange configuration I don’t see how you can call West Davis a Legacy extension, especially because there is over 2 miles of existing Legacy between I-15/US 89/Park Lane and the future West Davis junction - so that would likely have to be renumbered as something else. If you did that, you’d be splitting one number between two distinct freeways and one freeway between two numbers.

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on July 25, 2020, 03:14:35 AM
Quote from: Rover_0 on July 25, 2020, 02:41:30 AM
I've emailed a liaison from UDOT's Region 1, who told me that this route will "NOT have an I designation"  and in UDOT documents as part of SR-67; he even bet me a hamburger for it (whether I take it up that bet remains to be seen), as its still pretty early.

I don't see how this can ultimately be numbered 67 without causing a lot of confusion, especially since a Glovers Lane terminus at 15/Legacy is confirmed now. It would have made more sense as a 67 extension if West Davis had ended at 15 around Shepard Lane, which was thrown around for a while before eventually being eliminated as a possibility.

Looking at the interchange configuration I don't see how you can call West Davis a Legacy extension, especially because there is over 2 miles of existing Legacy between I-15/US 89/Park Lane and the future West Davis junction - so that would likely have to be renumbered as something else. If you did that, you'd be splitting one number between two distinct freeways and one freeway between two numbers.

My point exactly; I could see a split-ended SR-67, but that wouldn't make much sense either. I'm feeling that the West Davis Corridor gets a completely different number (not sure what, given UDOT's numbering of new numbers as of late).

Maybe I should take the UDOT rep up on his offer.

Plutonic Panda

Update:

QuoteUDOT to build new $47M interchange in tandem with West Davis Corridor construction

Meanwhile, officials say another $47 million, major infrastructure project can be added to the list.

UDOT Program Manager Nathan Peterson said the state plans build a new Interstate 15 interchange at Shepard Lane in Farmington, which will also eventually connect to the WDC. Peterson said design work on the proposed interchange set to begin later this year and UDOT plans to coordinate construction to finish at the same time as the corridor.

https://www.standard.net/news/transportation/udot-to-build-new-47m-interchange-in-tandem-with-west-davis-corridor-construction/article_80b02abc-56c3-5474-8fec-6fc3083a4bd0.html

The Ghostbuster

Is there any chance this roadway might be extended further north in the future, say, all the way to Interstate 84?

US 89

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 01, 2020, 03:37:29 PM
Update:

QuoteUDOT to build new $47M interchange in tandem with West Davis Corridor construction

Meanwhile, officials say another $47 million, major infrastructure project can be added to the list.

UDOT Program Manager Nathan Peterson said the state plans build a new Interstate 15 interchange at Shepard Lane in Farmington, which will also eventually connect to the WDC. Peterson said design work on the proposed interchange set to begin later this year and UDOT plans to coordinate construction to finish at the same time as the corridor.

https://www.standard.net/news/transportation/udot-to-build-new-47m-interchange-in-tandem-with-west-davis-corridor-construction/article_80b02abc-56c3-5474-8fec-6fc3083a4bd0.html

It's interesting that they're building a normal interchange on I-15 at Shepard, because several iterations of WDC proposals actually had it terminating at I-15 there (and such an alignment was preferred by the city of Farmington). The proposed south end was only finalized at Glovers after it was determined that a potential 15/WDC interchange at Shepard would be too close to the existing 15/89/Legacy/Park Lane interchange to meet safety guidelines.

To be honest, as far as I'm concerned it's inexcusable that there is still a four-mile gap between interchanges on that part of I-15 to begin with. I get that this area was more rural back when the interstates were first being planned, but it's been fully urbanized for a while now. An interchange at Shepard Lane probably should have been built 20 years ago, back when the Park Lane interchange was reconfigured for Legacy and the US 89 freeway was built. (with an interchange at Shepard, even!)

Looking at the shape of the I-15 east-side frontage road, I wonder if an interchange was ever planned at the Burton Lane overpass further north. Would have been almost exactly halfway between the Kaysville and north Farmington interchanges.

US 89

From UDOT News: UDOT SELECTS FARMINGTON BAY CONSTRUCTORS FOR WEST DAVIS HIGHWAY

UDOT has selected Farmington Bay Constructors to design and build the new 16-mile West Davis Highway. The $475 million construction contract makes this the department's largest current project.

Farmington Bay Constructors (FBC), a joint venture of Ames Construction, Wadsworth Brothers Construction, and Staker Parson Materials and Construction, was selected from a shortlist of three design-build teams. Design for the highway is now underway, and construction is expected to begin this spring, with expected completion in 2024.

"FBC has shown that they share UDOT's commitment to enhancing quality of life by keeping Utah moving,"  UDOT Project Director Rex Harris said. "Their proposal provided the best value through innovation, safety, quality, and reduced impacts to local communities — at a very competitive cost."    

The West Davis Highway will improve access to and from I-15 for residents and businesses in western Davis County. It is expected to reduce congestion on local streets west of I-15 by 30 percent or more. The four-lane divided highway will run from I-15 in Farmington to 4500 West and the future extension of S.R. 193 in West Point, and includes six new interchanges.

andy3175

A KSL news update on West Davis corridor construction came out on March 15, 2021:

https://kslnewsradio.com/1945083/udot-setting-up-for-building-west-davis-countys-new-freeway/

Utah Department of Transportation says crews will be working in the median of Legacy Highway in Farmington moving into place some heavy equipment, including a big crane to begin their work on the West Davis Corridor Project.

"West Davis is a new 16-mile, 4-lane divided highway project currently planned to be constructed in western Davis County. The first phase of construction will connect to I-15 & Legacy Parkway at approximately Glovers Lane in Farmington, extending west and north, terminating at 4500 West and the future extension of S.R. 193 in West Point,"  according to UDOT's website. ...

UDOT says the ultimate goal of the corridor is to provide an alternative for those living in Davis and Weber county's west side. 

"By 2040, the number of homes in western Davis and Weber counties will increase by 65%. This growth is expected to increase travel delays in this area by 62%, even with all other planned projects. West Davis will help address the growing population and meet future transportation needs."

According to their website the current project budget is an estimated $800 million. 

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

doorknob60

This is great, I wish Idaho could build new freeways even half as fast as Utah does. Eg. the ID-16 corridor between Meridian and Nampa has no timetable to resume construction south of US-20/26 (the most recent segment, fairly short with no interchanges, opened in 2014). Despite being much larger metro areas than Boise, I have never run into freeway traffic when I visit the SLC/Ogden areas. Now, when will Utah allow greater than 65 MPH on non-interstates?

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: doorknob60 on March 19, 2021, 03:06:14 PM
This is great, I wish Idaho could build new freeways even half as fast as Utah does. Eg. the ID-16 corridor between Meridian and Nampa has no timetable to resume construction south of US-20/26 (the most recent segment, fairly short with no interchanges, opened in 2014). Despite being much larger metro areas than Boise, I have never run into freeway traffic when I visit the SLC/Ogden areas. Now, when will Utah allow greater than 65 MPH on non-interstates?

Very interesting that you say this as I've said the same about wishing Utah would build its freeways as fast as Arizona did the rest of Loop 202. :-D

andy3175

https://www.standard.net/news/local/as-layton-moves-forward-with-parkway-extension-officials-say-eminent-domain-last-resort/article_41bcb394-3cc1-5c83-a7ca-31187700ac6f.html

QuoteLayton City continues to press forward with a project to extend the Layton Parkway, a process that now includes a City Council-approved provision to use eminent domain.

But city officials say condemnation is a last resort measure and one that's highly unlikely.

On March 5, the Layton City Council approved a resolution that authorizes a contract agreement between the city and Leon Poulsen Construction Co. for a project that involves extending the Layton Parkway and completing a host of street improvements near the Layton Parkway and 2700 West area.

Terry Coburn, Layton Public Works director, said then the project includes the installation of new asphalt, curb and gutter, sidewalk, water line, sewer and storm drain pipe and more. Coburn said the city received six bids on the project, with Poulsen submitting the lowest number at $6.36 million.

The project is tied to the impending West Davis Corridor construction. Soon, the Utah Department of Transportation will start mainline construction on the $750 million project, which involves a four-lane divided highway that will be built through western Davis County between the Interstate 15 and Legacy Parkway junction at about Glovers Lane in Farmington, extending north to the future extension of State Route 193 in West Point.  ...

As part of that massive endeavor, a grade-separated interchange will be built at 2700 West in Layton.

Crane said the city began notifying individuals involved as early as last summer and with appraisals recently completed, the city is now negotiating prices for the land they will need. Crane said much of the land in the pathway of future construction is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but there are also some other citizens involved.

"We will continue to do that until we've had the opportunity of acquiring property ... through negotiation,"  Crane said of the city's current land acquisition process. "It is never the intent of the city to proceed with condemnation. Could it occur? Absolutely, it could occur. But will it occur? ... Based on my experience with the acquisitions that have occurred in the past, it's not likely."

Crane said state law requires cities to adopt a provision that authorizes condemnations during situations like the one the city is facing with the parkway extension. He said there is a multi-step process that involves property owners having access to the state ombudsmen, followed by mediation and, if necessary, litigating the matter in court. If a property acquisition does make it to court, the only issue that would be adjudicated through a trial is the cost to purchase a particular piece of land, not whether or not property is maintained by owner.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on April 29, 2021, 10:12:51 PM
According to the UDOT Facebook group, the West Davis Highway will be designated SR 177.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westdavishighway/permalink/1049247655603654/?comment_id=1049931038868649

At this rate, there may never be a new 1- or 2-digit state route designated, and I'm not exactly sure why. Could UDOT be holding those numbers for something else, or what?

US 89

Quote from: Rover_0 on April 30, 2021, 10:32:53 AM
According to the UDOT Facebook group, the West Davis Highway will be designated SR 177.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westdavishighway/permalink/1049247655603654/?comment_id=1049931038868649

At this rate, there may never be a new 1- or 2-digit state route designated, and I’m not exactly sure why. Could UDOT be holding those numbers for something else, or what?

I mean we have 67 for Legacy, 85 for Mountain View, and 7 for Southern Parkway all within the past 15 years, so it’s not like they’ve totally abandoned the concept...

If I had to guess I think it’s more that UDOT is assigning numbers in the upper 17x range to new corridors in the greater Wasatch Front area these days - think 175 (114th South), 176 (Vineyard Connector) and 179 (Midvalley Highway).

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on April 30, 2021, 05:47:56 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on April 30, 2021, 10:32:53 AM

At this rate, there may never be a new 1- or 2-digit state route designated, and I'm not exactly sure why. Could UDOT be holding those numbers for something else, or what?

I mean we have 67 for Legacy, 85 for Mountain View, and 7 for Southern Parkway all within the past 15 years, so it's not like they've totally abandoned the concept...

If I had to guess I think it's more that UDOT is assigning numbers in the upper 17x range to new corridors in the greater Wasatch Front area these days - think 175 (114th South), 176 (Vineyard Connector) and 179 (Midvalley Highway).

That was a partly tongue-in-cheek remark, but it feels like most of the routes designated after SR-85 have been triple-digit numbers. It makes me wonder if UDOT is holding onto lower numbers for a reason other than to use up clusters of higher numbers.

We'll have to wait and see how the patterns change as new routes come into the state system.

Plutonic Panda

The Ghostbuster

From this map: https://gatewaymapping.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=aabf15b4314d4efa9969df9f9541ee47, it appears The West Davis Corridor will terminate at Exit 321 on Interstate 15, and Exit 10 on UT 67. Also, I've read that the WDS is planned to extended further north in the future (long-range), reconnecting with Interstate 15 around the Willard Bay Reservoir: https://www.standard.net/news/transportation/after-decade-of-planning-and-prepping-construction-begins-on-west-davis-corridor/article_431e556b-345a-5cb5-b63d-39e54dd0e21f.html. However, that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Plutonic Panda

andy3175

Article from Transport Topics on the West Davis Corridor

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/utah-dot-begins-construction-new-highway

QuoteThe West Davis Highway will run from I-15 near Glovers Lane in Farmington to the future extension of state Route 193 in West Point. Six interchanges will be built to link I-15 and local roads in Farmington, Kaysville, Layton and Syracuse.

According to UDOT, a future phase of the project is planned to extend the highway farther in West Point. In the long term, the West Davis Highway will extend through Weber County and connect back to I-15. However, no funding or environmental process has been planned for the extension beyond West Point.

In an effort to transport people as well as vehicles, the project will add 10 miles of trails and connect several existing regional trails for recreational users and bicyclists.

The article estimates the cost at $757 million.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

Realized I never got around to posting this here. It sounds like they might be able to get this open before the new year:

KSL Newsradio - The West Davis Highway is set to finish early

QuoteSALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Transportation construction crews have been working hard for more than two years on a new stretch of highway in West Davis County.

That hard work is paying off as UDOT now anticipates that the highway will be finished well ahead of schedule and that the roads may be able to be used before the new year, which could potentially mean reduced delays this holiday season.

"We've been saying that we hope to have the project finished in 2024, but I think that with all the progress that we've been making, the new, adjusted goal here is by the end of his year," said UDOT's Director of Public Relations John Gleason.

This would put the new West Davis Highway opening almost six months earlier than predicted.

Utah seems to be one of the few places where projects like this can actually get done without massive delays and cost overruns. Last time I was out there, I was shocked at how much progress had been made specifically at the I-15 interchange. I'll be in Utah over Christmas and New Years, so if this is open by then, I'll be sure to drive it and get some photos.

The Ghostbuster

On Google Maps Satellite View, it is easy to trace the future alignment of the UT 177/West Davis Corridor between Interstate 15 and UT 193. Although a further extension of the WDC is possible, it would likely require further environmental studies and a great deal of funding to make it a reality.

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 03, 2023, 06:59:47 PM
On Google Maps Satellite View, it is easy to trace the future alignment of the UT 177/West Davis Corridor between Interstate 15 and UT 193. Although a further extension of the WDC is possible, it would likely require further environmental studies and a great deal of funding to make it a reality.

The north limit of the 2017 EIS was 1800 North in West Point (SR 37), so funding would be the only thing needed to extend it to there from its soon-to-be endpoint at 193.

Plutonic Panda

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.