News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Joe Buck

Started by JoePCool14, March 01, 2021, 08:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Joe Buck a good commentator?

Yes
No
Unsure

JoePCool14

I was browsing the "Minor things that bother you" thread for Sports, and I immediately thought of Joe Buck.

Would he be a minor thing that bothers you? Or even a major thing? Or maybe you think he's just okay?

Personally, I think his enthusiasm for commentating has been pretty low at times, but more recently he's been better, a bit more energetic. I'm really only familiar with him on baseball, but I have seen clips of him doing both that and football.

Thoughts?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kevinb1994

Rothman

#TeamBuckIsAnnoying
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

I-39

Idk why people hate him, I'm mostly indifferent to him. However, he does come across as bland.

OCGuy81

As a Cubs fan, I hated him in the broadcast booth when they finally broke the curse in 2016

JoePCool14

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 01, 2021, 10:42:29 PM
As a Cubs fan, I hated him in the broadcast booth when they finally broke the curse in 2016

I thought his call when they actually won was tolerable at least.

Anyways, here's a good sample of his worst moments for whoever hasn't seen it yet.

tchafe1978

I don't get all the hate for Joe Buck. Yeah, he's not the most exciting to listen to, like Gus Johnson or Kevin Harlan. But he usually does a solid job. I usually get more annoyed with Troy Aikman. He's about as descriptive of a color commentator as John Madden was. He never breaks down a play, he just repeats what just happened. Thanks, captain obvious. Even more annoying is Cris "Now here's a guy" Collinsworth.

US 89

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 02, 2021, 12:33:54 AM
Even more annoying is Cris "Now here's a guy" Collinsworth.

This. I still haven't recovered from when he called the Super Bowl a few years back and he could barely talk about the game ... every word out of his mouth was some sort of undeserved praise for Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Interestingly, that was the last Super Bowl Tom Brady lost.

NWI_Irish96

I like all of his work, except for the baseball, football and golf.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

I barely notice some of the weird stuff he says compared to some of the worst announcers I've heard.  Eli Gold was probably the all time worst sports commentator I've ever heard with a National level sport.  In particular with NASCAR he would say really weird things (albeit inoffensive) but often couldn't name drivers (especially the Bodine brothers) and got facts outright wrong through a broadcast.  He may have been better with Alabama football but I really don't enough interest in the Crimson Tide to form an opinion.   

WillWeaverRVA

He's gotten better recently (I think he realized that people think he's bland), but he's still below average. Combining him with Troy Aikman makes for the most unwatchable commentating duo on TV that doesn't include Bill Walton.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jmacswimmer

His enthusiasm has definitely gotten better over the years (look no further than the Minneapolis Miracle or the Brady-Miller TD just before halftime in this year's NFC title game), but I just wish he had more ways to call a pass play than his standard "PASS ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS..............CAUGHT/BROKEN UP/PICKED".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8kOQbtJGU
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ET21

Same when the Sox won in 05, the enthusiasm was just lacking. ESPN radio had better reactions to the Cubs winning in 2016
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on March 02, 2021, 09:14:26 AM

Same when the Sox won in 05, the enthusiasm was just lacking. ESPN radio had better reactions to the Cubs winning in 2016
Glad I'm not the only Chicago sports fan who hates Joe Buck. And how could this be the same guy whose dad was a legendary broadcaster for the Cardinals? (and I hate them too!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Enduring Joe Buck's general lack of quality was still not nearly as bad as Chris Berman openly rooting for the Red Sox in the 2005 ALDS. I've not watched a single thing he's done since then.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 02, 2021, 08:28:40 AM
He's gotten better recently (I think he realized that people think he's bland), but he's still below average. Combining him with Troy Aikman makes for the most unwatchable commentating duo on TV that doesn't include Bill Walton.

Man, I forgot how grating Bill Walton is to listen to with basketball. 

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 02, 2021, 09:39:40 AM

Enduring Joe Buck's general lack of quality was still not nearly as bad as Chris Berman openly rooting for the Red Sox in the 2005 ALDS. I've not watched a single thing he's done since then.
Really? I remember game one of that series the White Sox won like 14-2 and it seemed like he was enjoying the home runs they were hitting. I remember Konerko hitting a home run in the final game of that series in Boston that pretty much sealed the series and Berman seemed to have his normal home run call. I'm sure he was rooting for Boston though since that seems all ESPN employs is Boston people.

Flint1979

As far as Joe Buck, I don't like the guy. I think he's boring, I think he really doesn't know what he is talking about and I think that the only reason he has his job is because of his dad. His dad was a much better broadcaster than Joe is.

Flint1979

I'm also happy that I'm not much of an NBA fan so this hasn't really effected me too much. But George Blaha who has been the Detroit Pistons broadcaster for over 45 years has one of the most annoying voices I have ever heard. I'm honestly tired of hearing the guys voice and his lame broadcasts. Anyone that doesn't know how to read a clock at his age doesn't belong broadcasting, it's not 3 and 14 to go in the first quarter it's 3:14 there is no and sign in there George. That's one thing that really irks me about the guy read the damn clock the right way. And on top of that he broadcasts for Michigan State football as well and is equally as annoying maybe even more annoying on that broadcast. Him screaming out TOUCHDOWN MSU every time the Spartans score a touchdown is top notch annoying.

We're talking about a city here (Detroit) that has had excellent play by play men for their other sports teams. Ernie Harwell (Tigers), Bruce Martyn (Red Wings), Van Patrick (Lions).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 02, 2021, 10:35:17 AM

Really? I remember game one of that series the White Sox won like 14-2 and it seemed like he was enjoying the home runs they were hitting. I remember Konerko hitting a home run in the final game of that series in Boston that pretty much sealed the series and Berman seemed to have his normal home run call. I'm sure he was rooting for Boston though since that seems all ESPN employs is Boston people.

In Game 2, Tony Graffanino committed an error that led to the game-winning runs and Berman was obviously distraught.

triplemultiplex

I personally don't like his voice.  It's the wrong kind of 'nasally' and too flat to be good broadcaster.
Also, he has one of those faces you just want to punch.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JoePCool14

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 02, 2021, 12:05:07 PM
Also, he has one of those faces you just want to punch.

This. And then when he started growing out facial hair to look cooler...

TheHighwayMan3561

Unpopular take: Buck has gotten a lot better as he has discovered his own identity as a broadcaster. He started announcing NFL games at 25 in 1994 and within 8 years was the face of the network.

I'm a sports announcer myself. It takes a long, long time to develop and polish the craft. Most of us get to do it without millions of people watching your every stumble and "oh, that didn't work, let's try something else next game".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 02, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 02, 2021, 10:35:17 AM

In Game 2, Tony Graffanino committed an error that led to the game-winning runs and Berman was obviously distraught.
I remember that and I think Iguchi or Dye hit a home run right after that. I loved that baseball season.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.