AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: The AARoads Pocket Dictionary [For New Members]  (Read 24422 times)

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
Re: Re: The AARoads Pocket Dictionary [For New Members]
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »

Fictional highways – The sub-forum where any constructive criticism of anyone's idea can be neatly contradicted by retorting, "I think this is needed".

FTFY
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »

Fictional highways – turns grown men into children 
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »

I always felt there's a few grades of Fictional Highways threads:

I - high plausibility, possible with some political will
II - a little too weird, harmful, and only tenuously necessary
III - now you're just being silly
IV - you made up your own land
V - you made up a raft of wacky laws to go with it
VI - goats are involved
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:45:26 PM by formulanone »

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2021, 11:47:52 AM »

Fictional highways--Roads that currently don't exist, but are good enough to be drawn on a map
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »

Buc-ee’s:  Modern analog of Valhalla or Heaven.

Sam’s Club gas:  The only true place to get gas for your car in suburban Atlanta. 

Cracker Barrel:  Where one goes to get sloshed before or during an active road trip. 

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:24:47 PM
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »

I-39 - Interstate that shares the road with the real route ID (US-51, former WIS-78, or I-90).

I-41 - Department of Redundancy Department

I-43 - The official highway of the Green Bay Packers

All of the above - Interstates designated because IDiOT would not cooperate with WisDOT.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »

I-39 - Interstate that shares the road with the real route ID

I-135 says hi.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:52:25 PM
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2021, 09:42:48 PM »

I-99 - Bud Shuster's stupid interstate.

Actually...

I-99 - Bud Shuster Porkway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2021, 10:26:12 PM »

I-43 - The official highway of the Green Bay Packers

You made that sound like an official™ sponsorship.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2021, 10:26:18 PM »

MN:

Crosstown: the section of MN 62 between I-494 in Eden Prairie/Minnetonka and MN 55 in south Minneapolis

Cedar Avenue: MN 77 along its entire length (the surface road Cedar Avenue also extends both north and south of MN 77's endpoints)

Lafayette Freeway: US 52 between I-94 in St. Paul and I-494 in Inver Grove Heights (somewhat less commonly used than Crosstown)

Olson Memorial Highway: MN 55 between US 169 and I-94 in Minneapolis

Hiawatha Avenue: MN 55 between I-94 and MN 62 in Minneapolis

Snelling Avenue: MN 51 (the southern jog is Montreal Ave)

Burnsville Split: I-35W/35E southern merge/split

Forest Lake Split: I-35W/35E northern merge/split

Can of Worms: the I-35/535/US 53 interchange in Duluth
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mike2357

• Last Login: September 06, 2021, 08:52:14 PM
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »

Very informative. Now I know what someone meant when they said one of my highway ideas was starting to sound like hypotension. I thought I was being compared to some well known troll or spammer with that username, but it was actually a highway design reference, thx
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 06:10:28 PM »

Very informative. Now I know what someone meant when they said one of my highway ideas was starting to sound like hypotension. I thought I was being compared to some well known troll or spammer with that username, but it was actually a highway design reference, thx

I’m pretty someone was trolling you.  That is, unless you have an odd obsession with Diesel powered Sabbs.

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 06:16:30 PM »

I'm a Troll according to Yoopers.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2021, 06:37:56 PM »

Supposedly I am too, but most people probably don’t realize what my place of origin in life is. 

Mike2357

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2021, 06:39:13 PM »

I’m pretty someone was trolling you.  That is, unless you have an odd obsession with Diesel powered Sabbs.

Well you'll have to judge my idea for yourself, the thread is called "Revolutionary Interstate Highway Proposal Connecting NJ and Long Island"

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »

Well you'll have to judge my idea for yourself, the thread is called "Revolutionary Interstate Highway Proposal Connecting NJ and Long Island"

I’m pretty sure plenty of road people dating even back to the MTR days have thought up the same fictional idea/ideas.  So you see, not likely as revolutionary as you’d like to think.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2021, 06:55:33 PM »

Heck, when I was a kid I had drawn a map that had a highway come off the Marine Parkway Bridge, dive into a tunnel under Roxbury and Breezy Point, and then cross a bridge to Jersey. I don’t have that map anymore; I threw all those drawings out more than 30 years ago. But it’s certainly not all that new of an idea, even though it’s absurd and unrealistic. Anyone looking at a map can see the theoretical appeal of a bypass route there. (Setting aside how wholly unrealistic a major highway would be on that part of the Rockaway Peninsula because the land has shifted a lot–the beach on the ocean side of Breezy Point is significantly wider than it was when I was a kid, and back then my mom said it was significantly wider than it was when she was a kid. My relatives now go to the bay side instead because it’s so much shorter of a walk!)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mike2357

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 08:01:55 PM »

Alot of my other ideas like I-78 extension..etc have been debated for decades, but I haven't been able to find one single reference online to an idea for a Lower NY Bay Crossing. Not one proposal, map, or archive that even suggests such a route

Flint1979

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2021, 08:23:41 PM »

Supposedly I am too, but most people probably don’t realize what my place of origin in life is.
Yep I guess it originates from trolls living under things so they figure we live under the bridge.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2021, 08:34:58 PM »

Yep I guess it originates from trolls living under things so they figure we live under the bridge.

For the most part I tell people around here (Fresno) that I’m from Arizona if the question of where I’m from comes up.  Strangely out west being from Michigan is somehow more exotic than being from a desert state.  I kind of got tired of answering “is 8 Mile as bad they say it is?”  over the years.  I figure since I lived in Arizona and Michigan for 13 apiece that I can claim either as my home state.

Flint1979

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2021, 08:37:04 PM »

For the most part I tell people around here (Fresno) that I’m from Arizona if the question of where I’m from comes up.  Strangely out west being from Michigan is somehow more exotic than being from a desert state.  I kind of got tired of answering “is 8 Mile as bad they say it is?”  over the years.  I figure since I lived in Arizona and Michigan for 13 apiece that I can claim either as my home state.
I guess I could do that with Indiana myself. But I have lived in Michigan longer though. I get tired of answering them questions too. And personally I don't think 8 Mile is as bad as people think it is.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2021, 08:42:19 PM »

I guess I could do that with Indiana myself. But I have lived in Michigan longer though. I get tired of answering them questions too. And personally I don't think 8 Mile is as bad as people think it is.

My Grandparents lived off 8 Mile and Grand River, we used to walk to the store all the time in the early 1980s.  My Dad worked at a software development office at 275 and 8 Mile in the early 1980s.   Now I wouldn’t say part of 8 Mile Road eastward towards Woodward are fantastic, but they are nowhere as bad as what you’ll find further south in the City of Detroit.  If the movie was titled “Michigan Avenue”  or “Fort Street”  I could understand getting behind a more seedy reputation in popular culture.

Flint1979

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2021, 09:19:33 PM »

My Grandparents lived off 8 Mile and Grand River, we used to walk to the store all the time in the early 1980s.  My Dad worked at a software development office at 275 and 8 Mile in the early 1980s.   Now I wouldn’t say part of 8 Mile Road eastward towards Woodward are fantastic, but they are nowhere as bad as what you’ll find further south in the City of Detroit.  If the movie was titled “Michigan Avenue”  or “Fort Street”  I could understand getting behind a more seedy reputation in popular culture.
I have a cousin (he lives in Fenton now) that use to live in Detroit off Grand River and Greenfield and I never had a problem over there. I walked all over that part of Detroit growing up and it was fine this was in the 80's and 90's. The worst part of Detroit back then was on the east side as the west side wasn't as bad back then. I don't think I'd walk around that area now though.

The streets that always gave me a creepy feeling were Tireman, Epworth, Concord and St. Cyril and I can give a description of how each street was.

Tireman of course runs west of Grand Blvd. on the west side of I-96 all the way across the west side between Warren and Joy Road. It goes through some pretty run down areas of Detroit and Dearborn. The part of Dearborn that butts up to Detroit is as bad as Detroit is in that area.

Epworth just goes through a desolate area on the west side east of Livernois between Warren and Joy Road and the desolate feel gives it a creepy feeling.

Concord is a street that runs on the east side about 4-5 streets east of Mt. Elliott and runs next to the old Packard Plant that until recently was crumbling and that gave it a creepy feeling, very very ghetto type feeling like the imagines of Camden, New Jersey everyone sees.

St. Cyril is a story. I remember coming upon it in 2003 when St. Cyril Church was still standing. I thought the abandoned church was very creepy feeling and the church was totally in ruins. The church is of course gone now with the rest of the neighborhood behind it for an industrial park. It's the street that makes an arc a little west of Van Dyke on the east side north of I-94.

snowc

• Last Login: May 20, 2022, 01:43:40 PM
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »

Thought this would be useful for new members here, as they're mentioned outside of their respective thread a good amount of times.

Alanland: It does and does not exist at the same time. That's all I can say about it. And something about goats... Here's a better description:
Alanland is what the Perkins Union renames itself after it secedes from the U.S. Law enforcement is accomplished through swarms of bees. BGSes are red, stoplights are as well. Walmart has to operate under the trade name "Pfangle" for legal reasons. Rattlesnakes are strictly required to register with county governments. The maximum speed limit is 52, the minimum 26, and the relative humidity 75%. The color gray is punishable by death. The official currency is the Numberwang. Alanland has pi houses of parliament, each of which are headed by an executive entitled "The Warbler". The chief executive is "The Grand Unified Alan of Alanland", whose official limousine gets ninety-three rods to the hogshead by statute. The capital is Quindaro and its chief export is Clearview.

(Source: Alanland Tourism and Armoire Standardization Department)

FritzOwl: Someone with too much free time and have a goal of paving most of North America with interstate highways because they had a bad experience on a 2-lane road. We get the term FritzOwling for building unnecessary interstates because of this user.

Hypotenuse: The longest side of a right triangle, and in this case, the other two sides of this right triangle is I-290 and I-90/I-94. This is a pet project of the user "dzlsabe", and the official description of it is "the I-90 missing link in Chicago".

I-366: An interstate highway proposal created by user "ethanman62187" as an upgrade of Virginia Route 28, and he'll allow motorists to drive 85 mph on this new interstate.

Anything I'm missing?
This explains it all.

US20IL64

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 03:10:24 PM
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2021, 12:31:34 AM »

...exclusion of tolls from freeways.
I thought the word "freeway" is meant for toll-free roads, with words like "tollway" or "turnpike" defining toll roads.

"Freeway" has always been meant to imply that traffic flows freely (no at-grade intersections with stops).  Has nothing to do with whether there are tolls.

Chicago area has not used this term, until the Bishop Ford Freeway was named. {And was kind of forced} We have used Expressway and Tollway since the 1950's. Also, simply "4-6 lane highway" for at grade through roads.

Was thinking whatever a region calls a limited access road was local language, i.e. LA Freeways and NYC Expressways/Parkways, etc. But learned here it's official US Govt term, will not challenge the lingo here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.