AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: OSM Mapper from MS here  (Read 4480 times)

MoiraPrime

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:29:28 PM
OSM Mapper from MS here
« on: January 27, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm MoiraPrime on OpenStreetMap and I've been involved in a few mapping efforts across the state. The biggest one recently being the reclassification of highway=trunk across the state.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: OSM Mapper from MS here
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 04:40:48 PM »

Welcome to the forums! Always nice to have someone from OSM here...I've dabbled in it a bit (mapped a few new subdivisions that hadn't appeared on the map yet).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:49:08 AM
    • Paul Across America
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 08:38:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum, from my native Chicagoland! Mad respect to any of the people that make OSM what it is.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now w/Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

InterstateFan621

• A teen Roadgeek from Georgia who likes traveling.

• Last Login: July 04, 2022, 06:20:58 PM
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »

Welcome from central Georgia!
Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long.
(From the song "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane)
Get your kicks on Route 66!

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194860463@N06/albums/

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 08:32:47 PM »

Howdy fellow map nerd! For as much as I love GIS and maps, however OSM works is still well beyond my comprehension. When will someone create OSM 101?!

MoiraPrime

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 08:45:04 PM »

Howdy fellow map nerd! For as much as I love GIS and maps, however OSM works is still well beyond my comprehension. When will someone create OSM 101?!
There's actually an entire site dedicated to that. https://learnosm.org/en/

I also find iD (the in-browser editor) rather easy to use. It's just bad at doing more complex things like editing large relations.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »

Welcome from NC!

compdude787

• Last Login: March 05, 2024, 09:47:57 PM
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 12:02:22 AM »

Welcome to the forum! I'm also on OSM (same username except without a number at the end) and have been on OSM longer than I've been on this forum. I should mention there is a thread about OpenStreetMap (a bit old, though) here. Interesting tidbit: back when we were first discussing trunk roads on the talk-us mailing list last May, I had suggested tagging all NHS routes as trunks, and I got that idea from this 2015 post.

MoiraPrime

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 01:02:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum! I'm also on OSM (same username except without a number at the end) and have been on OSM longer than I've been on this forum. I should mention there is a thread about OpenStreetMap (a bit old, though) here. Interesting tidbit: back when we were first discussing trunk roads on the talk-us mailing list last May, I had suggested tagging all NHS routes as trunks, and I got that idea from this 2015 post.

I know there's another prolific former OSMer here (NE2). I don't know if he'll lurk this post, but his work was so important to OSM that I'm still finding things in Mississippi that haven't been touched since he last touched them... and not to mention basically every single major route relation in the south was probably created by him.

As for the trunk discussion, a lot of mappers are coming to a consensus on that lately. There's a whole document about it here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States/2021_Highway_Classification_Guidance#Trunk

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 12:58:45 PM »

That would be a LOT of trunk routes, given that all the routes with a functional class of principal arterial were added to the NHS a while back.  Especially in Manhattan - there are roads there on the NHS that are currently colored white.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jlam

• Lowest untraveled route number: 97

• Last Login: Today at 01:15:23 AM
    • All important highways in US (WIP)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 01:21:36 PM »

I am also on OSM, under the name NocoRoads. Welcome from Weld County, CO!

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »

Welcome! I am also on OSM (under username us89) but don't really do much editing. The idea is cool, but it seems like doing anything substantial is a lot of work, and I'm not a fan of the culture over there. A lot of people seem to have really restrictive opinions on how things should be done (i.e. what should be trunk, motorway, primary etc.) and act like there is no room for any sort of disagreement.

There is one particular user over there who is particularly egregious for this and I think is the reason why NE2 isn't on OSM anymore. He used to be on this forum too, but got banned from here for something unrelated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 05:21:34 PM by US 89 »

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 07:17:53 PM »

Welcome!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 08:10:33 PM »

Welcome! I am also on OSM (under username us89) but don't really do much editing. The idea is cool, but it seems like doing anything substantial is a lot of work, and I'm not a fan of the culture over there. A lot of people seem to have really restrictive opinions on how things should be done (i.e. what should be trunk, motorway, primary etc.) and act like there is no room for any sort of disagreement.

There is one particular user over there who is particularly egregious for this and I think is the reason why NE2 isn't on OSM anymore. He used to be on this forum too, but got banned from here for something unrelated.

I personally edited a lot over there on OSM myself, but have massively scaled back, mainly due to the companies that have brought in editors to edit in the USA that are on the other side of the world and mess a ton of stuff up, and using 'but the tiger tags said so' as their defense...... Plus not knowing how to properly split ways for intersections and stuff like that making a ton of work for regular mappers to fix up.....  I mean, why couldn't some of these companies hire some of us USA mappers instead?  Less issues to deal with then.

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 08:11:45 PM »

Hey! I also map quite a bit on OSM! Same username!

M3100

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 07:41:19 PM
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 08:13:29 PM »

Welcome!  I rely on OSM for looking up road and rail details, and post comments/notes now and then, mostly in the SoCal area.

BlueOutback7

• I-5 to Finland or bust!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 08:17:51 PM »

Welcome aboard from Massachusetts.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kenarmy

• Last Login: Today at 12:56:07 AM
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 11:35:04 PM »

greetings from a fellow ( :-/) mississippian!
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

MoiraPrime

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2022, 10:51:18 AM »

I personally edited a lot over there on OSM myself, but have massively scaled back, mainly due to the companies that have brought in editors to edit in the USA that are on the other side of the world and mess a ton of stuff up, and using 'but the tiger tags said so' as their defense...... Plus not knowing how to properly split ways for intersections and stuff like that making a ton of work for regular mappers to fix up.....  I mean, why couldn't some of these companies hire some of us USA mappers instead?  Less issues to deal with then.

If you see enough of this going on from any company and find they aren't taking your concerns seriously, feel free to send an email over to the DWG at data@openstreetmap.org and they might be able to help.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »

Someone really needs to go through all the fords added by remote idiots. Not it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MoiraPrime

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 10:29:36 PM »

Someone really needs to go through all the fords added by remote idiots. Not it.

oh hey it's the notorious NE2 :o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.