News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

High Speed Rail highway overpasses

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 13, 2022, 09:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I know the High Speed Rail has been a controversial topic (and I'd argue deservedly so).  That said, one of the most beneficial aspects of the High Speed Rail line being built in San Joaquin Valley has been a great deal of new overpasses replacing some of the most haggard at-grade rail crossings on a lot of local roads.  In particular the South Avenue Overpass of the BNSF and HSR lines was recently opened about a week or so ago.  I had some observations about the South Avenue structure that don't line with previous HSR overpasses I've been over (example: Avenue 7 in Madera County):

-  "Hill blocks view" seems like an odd sign to apply to an overpass:

IMG_7015 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  The "Your Speed" sign only displays up to 50 MPH.  I'm not sure why this is needed but it seemingly is matched to the advisory speed:

IMG_7016 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  The BNSF line is moving immediately east from its current position south of Fresno to make way for an easier transition for the HSR.  The part of the South Avenue Overpass atop the HSR line has a shield which I'm to understand is in place to prevent access to the overhead electrical catenary.

IMG_7019 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

-  For what it is worth the view facing east at the Sierra Nevada Mountains is pretty nice on clear days:

IMG_7027 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Concrete Bob

I'm surprised there aren't designated, marked bike lanes and sidewalks on those high-speed rail overcrossings. <sarc>

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Concrete Bob on March 13, 2022, 11:03:59 PM
I'm surprised there aren't designated, marked bike lanes and sidewalks on those high-speed rail overcrossings. <sarc>

The shoulder alone is a substantial change from what you get out on most of those farm roads.  Taking a bike all the way out there is pretty wild with all the potholes and weird farm oddities. 

mgk920

That overpass is probably in such a 'middle of nowhere' location that surface traffic of any kind unrelated to the railroads is not much of an issue.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on March 14, 2022, 12:59:41 PM
That overpass is probably in such a 'middle of nowhere' location that surface traffic of any kind unrelated to the railroads is not much of an issue.

Mike

FWIW Manning Avenue about a mile to the south is probably drawing at least 5,000 vehicles a day.  Adams Avenue is being built a mile to the north and that had decent traffic volume as well.  I suspect when Manning Avenue is up for construction the South Avenue Overpass will become substantially busy as a detour route.

To your point though, what I'm trying to wrap my mind around is at what point is the traffic count low enough to justify closing the crossing off completely?  It sure seems like a lot more overpasses than are necessary (arguably South Avenue is one of them) are being constructed. 

The Ghostbuster

California's High-Speed Rail plan should have died a long time ago, although building rail bridges make sense to avoid disrupting traffic flow on surface streets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.