News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

🛣 Headlines About California Highways – March 2022

Started by cahwyguy, April 01, 2022, 08:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Here are your headlines about California Highways that I happened to spot over the month of March. They cover from the south to the north, from the west to the east, all over this great state. Of course, with this being April Fools, there is one fool in the post (and I don't mean the author). Can you find it? As always, ready, set, discuss.

Here's the link: https://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=16252

About the "fool": Basically, there's one April Fool line in the post, one untruth. It might even be one of the headlines. So see if you can find it, and of course, let's discuss the headlines of interest.

I may have some more news coming up later in the month that will be of interest here, but you'll just have to ... wait for it.

Daniel
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

I'm to understand that Gateway Drive/CA 145 in Madera just was signed as Historic US Route 99.  To that end, I'm not sure how modern roundabouts are going to mesh with the motif of an historic highway alignment.  That said, the turn on CA 145 from Gateway to Yosemite is pretty nasty due to the presence of the BNSF crossing being at-grade.  If that was somehow mitigated that would solve a lot of the backups causing issues for pedestrians, but it would likely require an expensive rail subway.

I'll have to find a way to avoid my normal work commute on a CA 41 in the Elkhorn-Excelsior corridor circa Summer 2025.  I do wonder though if existing Camden Avenue will just simply be upgraded to State Highway standards as the northbound lanes of CA 41? 

SeriesE

Another induced demand study. Based on that, all roads, including freeways, should be no more than 2 lanes wide per direction and congestion will be solved!

Concrete Bob

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2022, 08:23:21 PM
I'm to understand that Gateway Drive/CA 145 in Madera just was signed as Historic US Route 99.  To that end, I'm not sure how modern roundabouts are going to mesh with the motif of an historic highway alignment.  That said, the turn on CA 145 from Gateway to Yosemite is pretty nasty due to the presence of the BNSF crossing being at-grade.  If that was somehow mitigated that would solve a lot of the backups causing issues for pedestrians, but it would likely require an expensive rail subway.

I'll have to find a way to avoid my normal work commute on a CA 41 in the Elkhorn-Excelsior corridor circa Summer 2025.  I do wonder though if existing Camden Avenue will just simply be upgraded to State Highway standards as the northbound lanes of CA 41? 

I am pretty sure the new northbound carriageway lanes will be east of the existing lanes of CA 41.  There is enough right of way that was previously acquired to fit them in. This twinning project is long overdue.  It would also be nice to see CA 41 twinned to CA 46 someday. 

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SeriesE on April 02, 2022, 02:33:29 AM
Another induced demand study. Based on that, all roads, including freeways, should be no more than 2 lanes wide per direction and congestion will be solved!
When I get some time I'm going to message the representative from Caltrans who is putting this out there. I skimmed through the article but didn't read it thoroughly. I am interested to listen to the perspective of a government official involved in a transportation agency widening dozens of roads, building new ones, and putting out articles/studies claiming widening roads is not worth it.

I'll be curious to see their response to things like if widening roads increases traffic then narrowing them must surely reduce traffic. Who knew the solution to the 405 traffic woes was just narrowing to 2 lanes each way. No more traffic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Concrete Bob on April 02, 2022, 03:39:55 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2022, 08:23:21 PM

I am pretty sure the new northbound carriageway lanes will be east of the existing lanes of CA 41.  There is enough right of way that was previously acquired to fit them in. This twinning project is long overdue.  It would also be nice to see CA 41 twinned to CA 46 someday.

I know that fence line for the right of way is pushed out pretty close to Camden Avenue but couldn't picture the median of the existing lanes of 41 being so close new ones.  That would be a strange configuration, four lanes of divided 41 and Camden Avenue immediately to the east.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.