News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2022, 04:06:34 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 11, 2022, 02:17:32 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 11, 2022, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2022, 01:06:57 PM
I have only been to Florida twice in my life, both times as teenager, and there is one thing about Florida that I really really love and am envious of (it's probably easy to guess who that is)...

Mickey?
Tom Brady
Winn-Dixie
Um, it's a who, not a what.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 11, 2022, 04:28:27 PM

Winn-Dixie

Most people refer to dogs as a 'what', not a 'who'.  But, hey, you do you.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 11, 2022, 04:28:27 PM

Winn-Dixie

If my dog isn't a "who," she sure acts like one.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 11, 2022, 04:53:06 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2022, 04:47:01 PM

If my dog isn't a "who," she sure acts like one.

It's a strange linguistic thing, actually.

If, say, you had to make sure that all twelve dogs had been taken out of a certain enclosed area, you probably would not be asked "Are you sure there's nobody left in there?"  You'd probably be asked, "Are you sure there aren't any left in there?"  That isn't the way we talk about humans.

On the other hand, if you come home and find a potted plant knocked over and dirt all over the living room floor, you might ask your two dogs, "OK now, which one of you two ladies is responsible for this mess?"
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

When I discover my three dogs have done something bad and I'm not sure which one it was I ask them "who did it?"   I'm always met with an immediate response as the culprit runs in terror for their crate.

D-Dey65

I kind of get what Max is saying. I've never been at the Buc-ee's, but I figure I'll go someday. Just for the record, here's the intersection I'm talking about:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9828567,-81.465171,3a,15y,17.32h,93.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa9PqJHbe3JxxWvHfp2XlbA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Should I grab a Historic Aerials shot of it too? Okay, here you go:
https://historicaerials.com/?layer=map&zoom=15&lat=29.991111&lon=-81.470278

Is this getting a little too off-topic here? 

hbelkins

I have only been to Florida twice in my life, both times as teenager, and there is one thing about Florida that I really really love and am envious of (it's probably easy to guess who that is)...

Mickey?
Tom Brady

His balls are underinflated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2022, 06:36:28 PM

Mickey?
Tom Brady

His balls are underinflated.
That's not what Gisele said.

mgk920

:cool:
Quote from: Rothman on May 11, 2022, 04:07:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2022, 04:06:58 PM

Mickey?
Tom Brady
Winn-Dixie

Publix?
Piggly Wiggly

We've got those here in Wisconsin   :D

For as long as I have been alive and aware, there have always been exactly three things that I have wanted to do in Florida:

- Drive US 1 to Key West.
- See a NASCAR race at Daytona.
- See something getting launched from NASA-Kennedy.

:nod:

Mike

abefroman329

Quote from: mgk920 on May 12, 2022, 10:57:43 AM- See something getting launched from NASA-Kennedy.
Some friends of mine grew up in Orlando, and they got to see the Challenger get launched from KSC.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on May 12, 2022, 10:57:43 AM
:cool:
Quote from: Rothman on May 11, 2022, 04:07:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2022, 04:06:58 PM

Mickey?
Tom Brady
Winn-Dixie

Publix?
Piggly Wiggly

We've got those here in Wisconsin   :D

For as long as I have been alive and aware, there have always been exactly three things that I have wanted to do in Florida:

- Drive US 1 to Key West.
- See a NASCAR race at Daytona.
- See something getting launched from NASA-Kennedy.

:nod:

Mike

Trouble is, what do you do with yourself after you've done things like that?  It's certainly a question I asked myself when I lived there.  I spent most of my free time in those after years tracking down weird ghost town sites.

thspfc

I would totally live in Florida if not for the summer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on May 12, 2022, 12:29:36 PM

The summers outside the Keys (ironically the driest part of the state) can be brutally humid.  This is a little bit of an extreme example but I lost a net 14 pounds (about 7% of my body weight at the time) of water weight during a 14 mile run during the summer of 2015.  I started at 5 AM when it was 90F out with 95% humidity.  I drank close to 100oz of fluid during the run but it wasn't anywhere close to enough to be sustainable.  Usually I lost a net 6-10 pounds of water weight on similar distances during the summer before sunrise.  That 14 pound day was the only time in twenty years of running I've actually sought medical attention for dehydration.  In Fresno in the summer on a half marathon run before sunrise I'll lose 2-6 pounds given the air way cooler and way more dry. 

Florida does have some good things going for it though.  As shitty as the summer weather is most of the year is generally pleasant.  If you live away from the shoreline housing tends to be pretty affordable and the economy is fairly healthy.  The overall cost of living is very low and there is very little state level regulation compared to elsewhere.  Trouble is, the state gets very boring fast if you are even slightly outgoing.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2022, 12:40:41 PM

The summers outside the Keys (ironically the driest part of the state) can be brutally humid. 

[...]

Florida does have some good things going for it though.  As shitty as the summer weather is most of the year is generally pleasant.  If you live away from the shoreline housing tends to be pretty affordable and the economy is fairly healthy. 

My experience is that it feels less humid if you're 0-2 miles from the shore, due to the breeze...but it's almost always more expensive there. Any further out, and it suddenly gets lot more stagnant. October-to-April (north half of state) or November-April (southern half) can be nice. Either you just treat July-August like northern winter months and go out sparingly, or just suck it up with sunscreen, lots of water, and not worry about how sweaty you'll become...even at 10pm at night.

On the positive side, lots of interesting fauna and flora and you can seriously roadgeek 350+ days out of the year.

The rest of the year gets quite humid, rain is frequent, thunderstorms are plentiful, hurricanes are kind of scary, the terrain isn't very special if you don't like beaches, lots of tourists in most places, it helps to have a high tolerance for old folks, and there's loads of bugs. It's a very mixed bag of paradise, and it may contain nuts.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on May 12, 2022, 02:03:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2022, 12:40:41 PM

The summers outside the Keys (ironically the driest part of the state) can be brutally humid. 

[...]

Florida does have some good things going for it though.  As shitty as the summer weather is most of the year is generally pleasant.  If you live away from the shoreline housing tends to be pretty affordable and the economy is fairly healthy. 

My experience is that it feels less humid if you're 0-2 miles from the shore, due to the breeze...but it's almost always more expensive there. Any further out, and it suddenly gets lot more stagnant. October-to-April (north half of state) or November-April (southern half) can be nice. Either you just treat July-August like northern winter months and go out sparingly, or just suck it up with sunscreen, lots of water, and not worry about how sweaty you'll become...even at 10pm at night.

On the positive side, lots of interesting fauna and flora and you can seriously roadgeek 350+ days out of the year.

The rest of the year gets quite humid, rain is frequent, thunderstorms are plentiful, hurricanes are kind of scary, the terrain isn't very special if you don't like beaches, lots of tourists in most places, it helps to have a high tolerance for old folks, and there's loads of bugs. It's a very mixed bag of paradise, and it may contain nuts.

Sure, you can Roadgeek almost all year.  The trouble is that you run out of worthwhile places to Roadgeek at after awhile in Florida.  Even the most back water roadways (the Everglades Loop Road comes to mind) are tame by comparison to most states. 

Don't get me wrong, my three years in Florida was a economic and career boon for me personally.  I just ended up cashing that in for a transfer to somewhere that was going to occupy my interest a little longer.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 12, 2022, 02:15:46 PMI just ended up cashing that in for a transfer to somewhere that was going to occupy my interest a little longer.

Can't say I blame you. One is really stuck in the cul-de-sac of America by living in Florida (having resided there for over 25 years).

JayhawkCO

Your New Orleans is my Florida, although I've actually lived in Florida.

kphoger

Mechanical pencils are overrated.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2022, 11:01:31 AM
Snow is overrated.

A lot of people say they love living somewhere with four distinct seasons.  I think that's overrated.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2022, 10:52:30 AMMechanical pencils are overrated.
Compared to wooden pencils?  I like that they never go dull.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2022, 10:52:30 AM

Kind of a necessary evil for air travel though. The good graphite and a decent $5 pencil means I rarely break off the lead like the cheaper disposable pencils.

Not recommended for marking wood or stone, though. Really need a carpenter or thicker pencil for measurements.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2022, 11:03:09 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2022, 11:01:31 AM
Snow is overrated.

A lot of people say they love living somewhere with four distinct seasons.  I think that's overrated.
I mean, I love the feeling of rebirth and renewal when spring starts, particularly since COVID started.  If it's spring the entire year, you don't get that feeling.

Max Rockatansky

Snow is great when it's optional. 

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 13, 2022, 11:14:13 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2022, 10:52:30 AM

Kind of a necessary evil for air travel though.

Huh?  Regular old #2 pencils aren't allowed on airplanes?  I was unaware.  Heck, the TSA even specifically allows pencil sharpeners.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.