News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 04:56:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 04:54:57 PM
So, would the Santa Clause qualify as a horror movie based off what snowc said?  When you think about it the concept the Santa Clause is pretty horrific.  Tim Allen unknowingly signs a contract with stipulations that he become a morbidly obese immortal man who must deliver presents to the entire world.  No matter how much Tim Allen fights against the horrific changes to his body, he is doomed to become Santa...forever...

Until the Escape Clause and time travel...
One would think the more obvious movie to ask that question about would be Junior

Yes, this scene in particular was next level horrific:

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 04:31:24 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 04, 2022, 04:25:48 PM

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 03:03:00 PM
My dentist is pregnant and had MULTIPLE rounds of IVF for the past 2 years. She eventually got pregnant in December, and now she has a big stomach (shes at 36 weeks today, for people who dont know)
I have a disorder in which I don't like to see people who have changed, such as pregnant people.

What the hell did I just read?

You just read that |snowc| thinks babies grow inside one's stomach.
Please.  The correct term is "tummy."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 02:59:16 PM
Another consideration I don't know if I articulated above is the desire to have children or not.  To me that was never really something that I've considered personal "manifest destiny."   Even now I'm more or less take it or leave regarding having children.  If we have one child (emphasis we only want one) that's great, but it wouldn't be the end of the world (for me and my wife) if we didn't. 

Growing up I faced a lot of family borne pressure to carry on my last name from my Dad and Grandpa.  If anything that pressure kind of soured the prospect of having children, because it was something they wanted for themselves from me and not really so much something they wanted for me.  My wife experienced similar pressures growing up in a Hispanic household, especially from her Grand Mother.  I'm to understand from my wife that not having children early in adulthood is often heavily frowned upon in her family. 

Then again, my wife's family actively tried to discourage her from college and home ownership due to gender roles.  I don't think it was malicious on their end given how she has more or less become the de facto matriarchal figure now for her family. 

I took things very slowly with my girlfriend for the first few months because her dating site profile said she was interested in having children, and I'm pretty adamant about not wanting any. Eventually the question came up from her end and she said she'd changed her mind over the past few years and didn't want any. My parents support my decision, and her sister has a son who will carry on the family name if need be (and to be fair, it's a very common name anyway).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2022, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:55:36 AMBut that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

I have sympathies on both sides of this issue.  A few things to consider:

*  Fertility is not guaranteed for anyone, at any age.  I have a shirttail relative who tried multiple rounds of IVF in her late thirties, only to discover she has a medical condition that prevents an embryo from implanting in the uterus.  She and her husband ended up adopting two babies from overseas, one from Kazakhstan and the other from Russia.

*  Good relationships are as much founded on consciously building emotional intimacy as they are on choosing a compatible mate.  This is one reason (though perhaps not the main reason) app-based dating is considered such a disaster--the endless search for best fit ends up blocking relationship formation.

*  Being single has its disadvantages, but beats being in a bad marriage hands down.  When economists have used hedonic pricing methods to come up with dollars-and-cents estimates on the respective values of a good marriage, singledom, and a bad marriage, they have come up with annual income estimates of $100,000, zero, and the negative five figures.

*  It takes a certain measure of maturity and self-knowledge to assume the responsibility of a lifelong committed relationship with someone else.  Some people have this by their early twenties; others reach it later in life; some never attain it.

*  If everyone with resources approaches marriage and childbearing with a focus on the short-run financial penalties, the result is a society where most of the children are born to those who don't, often for factors related to low income.  At the societal level, that is bad for economic mobility, inequality of income and wealth, and intergenerational wealth accumulation.  This is part of the reason many European countries grappling with the demographic transition have mandated paternity leave, subsidized childcare, and baby bonuses, as well as making family planning services available without restriction.
My dentist is pregnant and had MULTIPLE rounds of IVF for the past 2 years. She eventually got pregnant in December, and now she has a big stomach (shes at 36 weeks today, for people who dont know)
I have a disorder in which I don't like to see people who have changed, such as pregnant people.
Also, I have a semi girlfriend who lives in Raleigh, and now goes to college at Elon.
Moreover, I have tried SEVERAL dating apps, only to be grounded by my mother and father (due to the Simpsons, where Millhouse decides to have a "relationship" with a girl. ewww)
I'm beginning to think you're an AI bot.
Im not. I'm a real human being.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on May 04, 2022, 05:54:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 02:59:16 PM
Another consideration I don't know if I articulated above is the desire to have children or not.  To me that was never really something that I've considered personal "manifest destiny."   Even now I'm more or less take it or leave regarding having children.  If we have one child (emphasis we only want one) that's great, but it wouldn't be the end of the world (for me and my wife) if we didn't. 

Growing up I faced a lot of family borne pressure to carry on my last name from my Dad and Grandpa.  If anything that pressure kind of soured the prospect of having children, because it was something they wanted for themselves from me and not really so much something they wanted for me.  My wife experienced similar pressures growing up in a Hispanic household, especially from her Grand Mother.  I'm to understand from my wife that not having children early in adulthood is often heavily frowned upon in her family. 

Then again, my wife's family actively tried to discourage her from college and home ownership due to gender roles.  I don't think it was malicious on their end given how she has more or less become the de facto matriarchal figure now for her family. 

I took things very slowly with my girlfriend for the first few months because her dating site profile said she was interested in having children, and I'm pretty adamant about not wanting any. Eventually the question came up from her end and she said she'd changed her mind over the past few years and didn't want any. My parents support my decision, and her sister has a son who will carry on the family name if need be (and to be fair, it's a very common name anyway).

My last name on the surface is kind of distinct until you get to West Virginia and Maryland where it is fairly common.

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 04:35:08 PM
^^^

Maybe she's just hiding Cinnabons under her work shirt?

I guess you weren't in the know that snowc's dentist was 36 weeks pregnant today from multiple IVF treatments over the past two years. :colorful:
You made me laugh. Cinnabons are not under her shirt, its really true!
Look up Morgan B Moore DDS on Facebook, she's got a real stomach!
https://www.facebook.com/morganbmooredmd/
https://www.facebook.com/morgan.barnes.395
NB!Needs to be signed in in order to see updated pictures.

abefroman329

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 05:57:00 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2022, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:55:36 AMBut that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

I have sympathies on both sides of this issue.  A few things to consider:

*  Fertility is not guaranteed for anyone, at any age.  I have a shirttail relative who tried multiple rounds of IVF in her late thirties, only to discover she has a medical condition that prevents an embryo from implanting in the uterus.  She and her husband ended up adopting two babies from overseas, one from Kazakhstan and the other from Russia.

*  Good relationships are as much founded on consciously building emotional intimacy as they are on choosing a compatible mate.  This is one reason (though perhaps not the main reason) app-based dating is considered such a disaster--the endless search for best fit ends up blocking relationship formation.

*  Being single has its disadvantages, but beats being in a bad marriage hands down.  When economists have used hedonic pricing methods to come up with dollars-and-cents estimates on the respective values of a good marriage, singledom, and a bad marriage, they have come up with annual income estimates of $100,000, zero, and the negative five figures.

*  It takes a certain measure of maturity and self-knowledge to assume the responsibility of a lifelong committed relationship with someone else.  Some people have this by their early twenties; others reach it later in life; some never attain it.

*  If everyone with resources approaches marriage and childbearing with a focus on the short-run financial penalties, the result is a society where most of the children are born to those who don't, often for factors related to low income.  At the societal level, that is bad for economic mobility, inequality of income and wealth, and intergenerational wealth accumulation.  This is part of the reason many European countries grappling with the demographic transition have mandated paternity leave, subsidized childcare, and baby bonuses, as well as making family planning services available without restriction.
Also, I have a semi girlfriend who lives in Raleigh, and now goes to college at Elon.
Moreover, I have tried SEVERAL dating apps, only to be grounded by my mother and father (due to the Simpsons, where Millhouse decides to have a "relationship" with a girl. ewww)
I'm beginning to think you're an AI bot.
Just what an AI bot would say...

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 06:02:05 PM
Cinnabons are not under her shirt

I'm a little disturbed that you can say that with such confidence about your dentist.  I mean, sometimes they do lean over a bit while you're in the seat...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

I guess you weren't in the know that snowc's dentist was 36 weeks pregnant today from multiple IVF treatments over the past two years. :colorful:

Are you sure you aren't tolbs17 and this isn't Mary Hannah all over again? 

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 06:13:33 PM
^^^

Nope, Im the real snowc.
I am not mary hannah.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 06:14:27 PM
^^^

Nope, Im the real snowc.
I am not mary hannah.

That's something the fake snowc or Mary Hannah would say. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 06:14:27 PM
Are you sure you aren’t tolbs17 and this isn’t Mary Hannah all over again?
Nope, Im the real snowc.
I am not mary hannah.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of being Mary Hannah...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Just to be sure, could you tell me what this says?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

^^^

<redacting Facebook links since I don't think they're appropriate to propogate>
Needs to be signed in in order to see updated pictures.

The two North Carolina forum members you are implying ... have they ever been active at the same time?   (Puts on tinfoil hat)  Hmmm ... Verrrrry interesting ...

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 06:12:44 PM
Cinnabons are not under her shirt

I'm a little disturbed that you can say that with such confidence about your dentist.  I mean, sometimes they do lean over a bit while you're in the seat...
I...thought the Cinnabons were being hidden in the dentist's midriff area.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 06:29:04 PM

Clearview is underrated, actually.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Scott5114

Quote from: Ned Weasel on May 04, 2022, 09:23:39 PM

* Scott5114 bans Ned Weasel for being a robot
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bm7

Underrated: Internet forums. Social media sites have mostly killed them off. But in my opinion, none of them result in the same sense of community that forums like this often have, and forums have a certain charm to them (although that could just be my own nostalgia for forums).

kkt

she's got a real stomach!

'course she does.  So do I and so do you.  Wouldn't live very long without one.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on May 05, 2022, 12:44:46 AM
she's got a real stomach!

'course she does.  So do I and so do you.  Wouldn't live very long without one.

Unless she's a robot, wouldn't need a real stomach then. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 09:51:53 PM

What happens when C3PO is doing a little bit of internet browsing and gets to that page that says I'm Not a Robot and you have to check a box?  There is no other option, so does he sit there and cry?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 05, 2022, 10:49:21 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 09:51:53 PM

What happens when C3PO is doing a little bit of internet browsing and gets to that page that says I'm Not a Robot and you have to check a box?  There is no other option, so does he sit there and cry?

The question I have is how is C-3PO a Cyborg?  He spouts on about Human-Cyborg relations all the time.  Does he actually mean that he's a Droid (AKA Robot) that brokers relationships between Humans and Cyborgs?

kphoger

The musical talent of Michael Jackson is underrated, instead being overshadowed by seemingly everything else about him.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 12:20:05 PMThe musical talent of Michael Jackson is underrated
Agreed
Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 12:20:05 PM, instead being overshadowed by seemingly everything else about him.
Unsure.  Was the abuse he suffered as a child and teen the cause of all of his eccentricities, or just the pederasty?

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 05, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
Was the abuse he suffered as a child and teen the cause of all of his eccentricities, or just the pederasty?

Either way, that stuff is all people tend to think about when it comes to Michael Jackson–ergo, it overshadows his musical genius.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.