Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 09, 2022, 12:17:30 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2022, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2022, 11:17:18 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 08, 2022, 07:00:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2022, 04:39:17 PM
(...is reminded to post "The Beatles" in the "overrated thread...

You did, a whopping 5 posts into that thread.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2022, 11:29:46 AM
The Beatles

I mean, your dislike of the Beatles is hardly a unique thing, though.

Not saying I dislike them. Just saying I don't like them and don't get the rabid fandom. I always preferred the Stones.

And other people having rabid fandoms for things you don't is hardly unique either.

I love the Beatles and am a huge fan, but even I don't understand why women would pay money to see them to scream the whole time and eventually pass out. 

A book I read about them included a quotation from some girl who said, "We didn't pay $5.75 for nothing. We can listen to the records at home."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: US 89 on May 04, 2022, 10:32:22 AM
The 2FA service we use allows you to either use their app (smartphone required), or they call you and you pick up and push 1 (dumbphone required), or you can use a single-use pre-generated passcode (no phone required). I have like six of those backup codes written down on a sticky note so that I can get in if my phone dies. Seems like something of that sort should be an option for you.

The app I use for my work to see how much tip money has been sent to my bank requires a 14-char password, and the 2FA. We're not protecting nuclear codes here, and I don't care if some 12-year-old russian could see how much money I made.

Plus, with the iffy cell signal where I live, I can't always get the code.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ethanhopkin14

JayhawkCO

Since a conversation in the overrated thread is going on about Florida, I'll nominate Minnesota for underrated. It's a pretty nice place to live.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 10, 2022, 04:02:21 PM
Since a conversation in the overrated thread is going on about Florida, I'll nominate Minnesota for underrated. It's a pretty nice place to live.
I don't know.  Given how North Shore hotels sell out in January now, MN has definitely been discovered, unfortunately.  20 years ago, it was just locals clogging the parks up.  Now it's the globe.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2022, 06:09:18 PM
I don't know.  Given how North Shore hotels sell out in January now, MN has definitely been discovered, unfortunately.  20 years ago, it was just locals clogging the parks up.  Now it's the globe.

A couple things to note, though:
-Reduced capacity over the winter with many hotels/resorts outside Duluth closed/only open on weekends, and/or operating with fewer units available for rent (my normal haunt in Grand Marais I believe keeps about 1/5 of its summer capacity available in winter), so I don't know if demand has really soared as much as you're implying. I still find restaurants and any non-essential stores to be completely random in their winter schedules if they're even open at all, which to me suggests there's not that much sustained winter demand.
-COVID caused a huge spike in regional tourists on the North Shore as their normal or desired out-of-state destinations became inaccessible or inadvisable due to restrictions. We still have yet to see if people being able to return to national and international travel causes a return to pre-pandemic travel patterns, which this summer and next should be a good indicator of where those things stand.

But yes, I barely ever bother with Gooseberry Falls anymore. Unfortunately Visit Cook County also did a great job of getting people to start driving past Split Rock more often.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 10, 2022, 11:50:36 PM

-Reduced capacity over the winter with many hotels/resorts outside Duluth closed/only open on weekends, and/or operating with fewer units available for rent (my normal haunt in Grand Marais I believe keeps about 1/5 of its summer capacity available in winter), so I don't know if demand has really soared as much as you're implying. I still find restaurants and any non-essential stores to be completely random in their winter schedules if they're even open at all, which to me suggests there's not that much sustained winter demand.
-COVID caused a huge spike in regional tourists on the North Shore as their normal or desired out-of-state destinations became inaccessible or inadvisable due to restrictions. We still have yet to see if people being able to return to national and international travel causes a return to pre-pandemic travel patterns, which this summer and next should be a good indicator of where those things stand.

But yes, I barely ever bother with Gooseberry Falls anymore. Unfortunately Visit Cook County also did a great job of getting people to start driving past Split Rock more often.
All I was saying was that to get a hotel room on a weekend in the summer, you have to reserve very early on now.  Chain hotels are all sold out now in Duluth.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on May 11, 2022, 12:12:31 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 10, 2022, 11:50:36 PM

All I was saying was that to get a hotel room on a weekend in the summer, you have to reserve very early on now.  Chain hotels are all sold out now in Duluth.

Oh, I misinterpreted your post. I read it as "North Shore hotels have no availability in January", not "you need to book in January for June and July".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Protected only left turns instead of protected/permissive left turns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JoePCool14

Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2022, 08:01:46 PM

In certain situations only, of course. If used right, they're good. There are arterials by me where I absolutely wish they were protected only. The risk of collisions due to exceptionally poor sightlines and high traffic volumes don't make the permissive aspect worth it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2022, 08:01:46 PM

Wrong thread. They are overrated. WAAAY overrated.

I hate protected-only lefts, especially when I'm sitting at one and there's no traffic coming from the opposite direction and a left turn would be perfectly safe.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

On the otherhand, there are some permissive-only left turns that really really need a protected left phase.  Busy times of day you could be sitting there for 10 minutes waiting for a chance to turn, and too boxed in to move over to the straight lanes in order to make three right turns.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2022, 09:43:21 AM
DDIs are underrated.

I don't think they are, not because they're useless, but because they're highly regarded by innovative DOTs and therefore rated properly (well). They're just new enough that there aren't that many of them; quite a lot of new and reconfigured interchanges are DDIs.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

I like DDIs because in general I find there is less time wasted sitting at red lights if you are going straight through on the road that has the crossovers. But what annoys me is that most DDIs I've used also have a traffic light for people coming off the ramps and they often have "No Turn on Red" signs (or red arrow equivalents). I suppose to some extent I can accept that traffic is coming from a different angle than people are used to, but on the other hand, you don't necessarily have to turn your head as far as you might at a conventional diamond. Maybe in the case of the DDI in Haymarket, Virginia, the big issue has to do with a lot of people wanting to change lanes immediately to make a left at the next light.

https://goo.gl/maps/RTd9HVqeJ7KpFoaE8

I suppose in the case of the one in Viera, Florida, it's because of the overpass walls limiting your view to the left. But they don't allow a left on red, either.

https://goo.gl/maps/9fTy7ncnZDPxiDtz7

(Off the top of my head I know of at least one DDI that doesn't restrict right turns on red–it's in Lumberton, North Carolina, which means lefts on red aren't allowed because North Carolina does not permit left on red in any instance.)

formulanone

Protected lefts are great when you get full advantage of them, and suck when you missed yellow by 3 seconds.

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on May 16, 2022, 06:08:47 PM
Protected lefts are great when you get full advantage of them, and suck when you missed yellow by 3 seconds.

Or when the person in front of you slams on their brakes and stops on the yellow. Very few things on the road piss me off more than that.

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on May 16, 2022, 06:23:33 PM

Or when the person in front of you slams on their brakes and stops on the yellow. Very few things on the road piss me off more than that.

That's required by law in some states.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

I'm not risking a red-light camera ticket just to please you.

CoreySamson

- Kolaches
- Any cherry version of a popular soda
- The Texas feeder road system
- Sonic Drive-In
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 01:09:28 PM

That's required by law in some states.

Not only that, there's no way to know how long a yellow light is. I may not be confident I can make it through the intersection on yellow (or, if sight lines are blocked, that there's even space for me on the cross street after I finish my turn).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

kkt

webny99

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.