News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 12:29:24 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 05, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
Was the abuse he suffered as a child and teen the cause of all of his eccentricities, or just the pederasty?

Either way, that stuff is all people tend to think about when it comes to Michael Jackson–ergo, it overshadows his musical genius.

Micheal Jackson is by far the most common artist on my music playlist.  The guy was absolutely a phenomenal musician. 

Scott5114

Was the abuse he suffered as a child and teen the cause of all of his eccentricities, or just the pederasty?

Either way, that stuff is all people tend to think about when it comes to Michael Jackson–ergo, it overshadows his musical genius.

I don't know. It seems like, to me, once he died, all of the bad stuff about him was quietly forgotten and now he's just celebrated for his music. Or at least, that's the impression that I get from the local radio station (they played him a lot less after the

The separation, or lack thereof, between an artist and their work is a recurring question that comes up a lot these days. That is, should we enjoy and celebrate the creative works of terrible people? After all, any artist puts some part of themselves into any creative work they do. That being said, in the case of Michael Jackson specifically, it's really hard to tell to what extent any of his personal vices influenced the work. Nothing about "Thriller" really keys you in on what sort of person Michael Jackson was. That's not true for someone like, e.g., J.K. Rowling, whose personal beliefs are in her work plain as day if you know to look for them while reading.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2022, 04:09:27 PMThat is, should we enjoy and celebrate the creative works of terrible people? After all, any artist puts some part of themselves into any creative work they do. That being said, in the case of Michael Jackson specifically, it's really hard to tell to what extent any of his personal vices influenced the work. Nothing about "Thriller" really keys you in on what sort of person Michael Jackson was. That's not true for someone like, e.g., J.K. Rowling, whose personal beliefs are in her work plain as day if you know to look for them while reading.
Of course, Rowling's most rabid fans will tell you that they AREN'T plain as day, and if she intended for the Gringotts to be Jews, then she would have stated as such.

But the answer is, of course, "it depends."  Were they terrible by the standards of their time, or ours?  Were their works also terrible?  I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to works that haven't aged well, but if you get up on stage tonight and yell racial slurs, then you don't get to cast yourself as the victim of a lynch mob when people call you out.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 05, 2022, 04:09:27 PM
That being said, in the case of Michael Jackson specifically, it's really hard to tell to what extent any of his personal vices influenced the work. Nothing about "Thriller" really keys you in on what sort of person Michael Jackson was.

PYT ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 05, 2022, 04:31:50 PM
That being said, in the case of Michael Jackson specifically, it's really hard to tell to what extent any of his personal vices influenced the work. Nothing about "Thriller" really keys you in on what sort of person Michael Jackson was.

PYT ;)

Point taken, although if the song existed in a vacuum and I knew nothing else about Michael Jackson besides that one song, I'd just assume he was referring to a younger girl who was nevertheless old enough for the singer to be hitting on her. And it does explicitly say the object of his affections is a girl.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 05, 2022, 04:31:50 PM

PYT ;)
Which is exactly why it's important to look at works in the context of the time period when they were written.  The list of songs that glorify men having sex with teenage girls is as long as my arm, yet no one suspects Ringo Starr or Benny Mardones of pedophilia.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 05, 2022, 04:24:12 PM
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to works that haven't aged well, but if you get up on stage tonight and yell racial slurs, then you don't get to cast yourself as the victim of a lynch mob when people call you out.

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 05, 2022, 04:42:23 PM
Which is exactly why it's important to look at works in the context of the time period when they were written.

Well there you go, being all reasonable and stuff...   :cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: bm7 on May 05, 2022, 12:10:52 AM
Underrated: Internet forums. Social media sites have mostly killed them off. But in my opinion, none of them result in the same sense of community that forums like this often have, and forums have a certain charm to them (although that could just be my own nostalgia for forums).

I completely agree. I've written about this before, but forums like this one are miles better then using something like Reddit. I'm not saying the Reddit formula is inherently bad. But a traditional forum on its own domain with full control (for better or for worse) and the ability to make boards and sub-boards, you can't beat it.

It's also a lot less snarky and toxic than social media sites.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 05, 2022, 11:42:28 PM
It's also a lot less snarky ...

That's just because HB and I will never become mods.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2022, 09:47:17 AM

I'm not sure we're working off of a common definition of "snarky."

JoePCool14

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 06, 2022, 10:09:55 AM

Snarky may have been a poor word choice. We all know how people act on Twitter or Reddit versus how they act on here. And even if it's similar, the vibe here is still different. It's like friendly banter compared to a vicious argument where you don't care about your dignity or the other individual. Only winning the argument.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

1.  I doubt anyone would argue that I can be snarky.

2.  Didn't HB's profile use to say 'master of snark' or something similar?
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2022, 10:13:35 AM

It's US71, and it's still there.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on May 06, 2022, 10:14:24 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2022, 10:13:35 AM

It's US71, and it's still there.

Ah, wrong guy.  Thanks!
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 06, 2022, 10:13:09 AM

Snarky may have been a poor word choice. We all know how people act on Twitter or Reddit versus how they act on here. And even if it's similar, the vibe here is still different. It's like friendly banter compared to a vicious argument where you don't care about your dignity or the other individual. Only winning the argument.
Oh.  Yeah, people have been jerks online since the bulletin board days, so that part isn't new.  But the fact that people will say the things they say on social media, and using their legal name when saying it, still blows my mind.

You are correct about Internet forums being more of a community than any social media platform.  The closest thing I've seen to that is the group Messenger chat I have with the others who are also mods/admins of a tag group, and we occasionally discuss things other than moderating the group.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2022, 12:20:05 PM
The musical talent of Michael Jackson is underrated, instead being overshadowed by seemingly everything else about him.

Agreed, too.  Yes, if one overlooks his weirdities, he was pretty good.  Ditto his serious rival Prince.

Mike

hbelkins

80's glam/hair metal bands.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't know. It seems like, to me, once he died, all of the bad stuff about him was quietly forgotten and now he's just celebrated for his music. Or at least, that's the impression that I get from the local radio station (they played him a lot less after the

The separation, or lack thereof, between an artist and their work is a recurring question that comes up a lot these days. That is, should we enjoy and celebrate the creative works of terrible people? After all, any artist puts some part of themselves into any creative work they do. That being said, in the case of Michael Jackson specifically, it's really hard to tell to what extent any of his personal vices influenced the work. Nothing about "Thriller" really keys you in on what sort of person Michael Jackson was. That's not true for someone like, e.g., J.K. Rowling, whose personal beliefs are in her work plain as day if you know to look for them while reading.

It's kind of strange how the opposite has seemed to happen with John Lennon - the generations who grew up with the Beatles or were emotionally affected by his murder think of him as a genius, an advocate for peace, etc., while the generations who have grown up without him (especially zoomers) have wondered "why the fuck do we overlook what an asshole he was to women?"
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 07, 2022, 10:26:04 PM

It's kind of strange how the opposite has seemed to happen with John Lennon - the generations who grew up with the Beatles or were emotionally affected by his murder think of him as a genius, an advocate for peace, etc., while the generations who have grown up without him (especially zoomers) have wondered "why the fuck do we overlook what an asshole he was to women?"

Well, he got his. He ended up married to Mabel.  :bigass:

(...is reminded to post "The Beatles" in the "overrated thread...

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2022, 04:39:17 PM

You did, a whopping 5 posts into that thread.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2022, 11:29:46 AM
The Beatles

I mean, your dislike of the Beatles is hardly a unique thing, though.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 08, 2022, 07:00:09 PM

The Beatles

Not saying I dislike them. Just saying I don't like them and don't get the rabid fandom. I always preferred the Stones.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2022, 11:17:18 AM

The Beatles

Not saying I dislike them. Just saying I don't like them and don't get the rabid fandom. I always preferred the Stones.

And other people having rabid fandoms for things you don't is hardly unique either.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2022, 11:57:01 AM

The Beatles

And other people having rabid fandoms for things you don't is hardly unique either.

I love the Beatles and am a huge fan, but even I don't understand why women would pay money to see them to scream the whole time and eventually pass out. 

kurumi

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 09, 2022, 12:17:30 PM

The Beatles

I love the Beatles and am a huge fan, but even I don't understand why women would pay money to see them to scream the whole time and eventually pass out. 

Before K-Pop, there was UK-Pop
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Quote from: kurumi on May 09, 2022, 08:33:07 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 09, 2022, 12:17:30 PM

The Beatles

Before K-Pop, there was UK-Pop
I am up too late and somehow went off on a mental tangent to British Ska.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.