News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Passaic County NJ County Routes

Started by ap70621, December 23, 2012, 12:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ap70621

Passaic County has for as long as I can remember hated signing their county routes. But as I was recently driving through it looks like new county shields are popping up all over Passaic. Just an observation I made. Very unusual for them.

Alps

Have they started paving anything yet?

ap70621

A few stretches on the Greenwood Lake Tpk section of CR 511, didn't notice much else.

NJRoadfan

CR-511 is where all the new 6XX route shields popped up. I guess NJDOT managed to strong arm them into doing it in exchange for the funding. Anywhere else they are appearing? Whats odd is that NJDOT signs 6XX routes on US-46 in that county.

ap70621

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 23, 2012, 01:30:29 AM
CR-511 is where all the new 6XX route shields popped up. I guess NJDOT managed to strong arm them into doing it in exchange for the funding. Anywhere else they are appearing? Whats odd is that NJDOT signs 6XX routes on US-46 in that county.
Even saw a 7xx off CR511. And yes, I've seen them at Echo Lake Road in West Milford, Main Street in Little Falls, and several other places.

Alps

Passaic County: "If it costs money, go away."

dgolub

Quote from: ap70621 on December 23, 2012, 12:45:57 AM
Passaic County has for as long as I can remember hated signing their county routes. But as I was recently driving through it looks like new county shields are popping up all over Passaic. Just an observation I made. Very unusual for them.

Cool!  That certainly sounds like an improvement.  Now, they just need to do the same for Nassau and Westchester counties in New York.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dgolub on December 23, 2012, 09:56:54 AM

Cool!  That certainly sounds like an improvement.  Now, they just need to do the same for Nassau and Westchester counties in New York.

Some of NY has been doing it, with Oneida, Tompkins and Warren in the recent time.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Don't count on it. People in these parts navigate by road name. In Passaic County, however, even those aren't signed very well. At least in Nassau and Westchester you have modern, easy-to-read signage. Nassau is committed to not signing its county routes and Westchester never has. At least I know that Nassau has internal route numbers for them, but it's a mess - a handful of route numbers with no real logic for a few of the county roads, and then an alphanumeric list from A01 to E83 (roughly) based on the alphabetical name of the remaining roads from A to Z, anywhere in the county. They would have to put in a lot of work to have anything worth signing. It's really not worth it.

vdeane

Monroe county, NY probably won't ever sign its county routes either (with anything other than the reference markers, at least); navigation is by name here too, to the point where the only routes known by number are either freeways or in rural areas, even for major roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: Steve on December 24, 2012, 06:51:09 PM

Don't count on it. People in these parts navigate by road name. In Passaic County, however, even those aren't signed very well. At least in Nassau and Westchester you have modern, easy-to-read signage. Nassau is committed to not signing its county routes and Westchester never has. At least I know that Nassau has internal route numbers for them, but it's a mess - a handful of route numbers with no real logic for a few of the county roads, and then an alphanumeric list from A01 to E83 (roughly) based on the alphabetical name of the remaining roads from A to Z, anywhere in the county. They would have to put in a lot of work to have anything worth signing. It's really not worth it.

The northern portions of Nassau don't really have all that easy to read signage.  I'm from the area, so I know it very well, but I imagine it would be very easy for someone not from the area to miss turns when the only signage is small street signs at the intersection.  It would be helpful if motorists going down, say, Northern Boulevard (NY 25A) could see some advance signage before traffic lights like "Plandom Rd - Next Left" and "Shelter Rock Rd - Next Right."  Then, when you're on the Roslyn Viaduct, there's an exit for Old Northern Boulevard and Bryant Avenue at the end that's simply marked as "Exit" without any indication of what it's for.  This is just about guaranteed to get people lost if they don't know the area.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Steve on December 24, 2012, 06:51:09 PM
Don't count on it. People in these parts navigate by road name. In Passaic County, however, even those aren't signed very well.

Back in the late 90s NJDOT made a big push to get 5XX routes signed in counties that did a poor job since they are considered the state secondary route system. They pushed for better 6XX (and whatever system Monmouth and Bergen use) signing around 2003, presumably because online mapping services and the emerging car GPS maps revealed the (mostly) unposted route numbers of many of the roads and use them in their directions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.