News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

what is this route marker in Maine?

Started by agentsteel53, March 05, 2013, 01:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I found this while browsing Google Street View of the place where Route 102 loops around to intersect itself.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bar+harbor+me&ll=44.357426,-68.337686&spn=0.011583,0.027595&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Bar+Harbor,+Hancock,+Maine&gl=us&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.357323,-68.337516&panoid=MFLpE2-zef83iEe95vnMQA&cbp=12,185.06,,0,1.73

(don't mind the long URL - looks like Google's "short URL" server is down.)

does anyone have a good photo of that blue pentagonal cutout marker?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

It probably has something to do with the ferries that run out of Bar Harbor. If you'd like, I can snag a photo of one of those signs when I go up there in 3 weeks.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 05, 2013, 03:36:09 PM
It probably has something to do with the ferries that run out of Bar Harbor. If you'd like, I can snag a photo of one of those signs when I go up there in 3 weeks.

that would be great!

btw I mailed your sign today
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Heading south on 102 toward Southwest Harbor, away from Bar Harbor, I doubt  it's a reference to the ferry. Also, The Cat has been out of service since 2005, 2 years before that GMSV photo.

There doesn't appear to be a scenic byway here, so I'm guessing maybe it's for some Acadia NP destination or attraction.

I went up there shooting terminus photos a few years back, and hit that intersection. I don't remember that specific sign, but I'll look and see if I have a shot of it.

Otherwise, Ian, I'm sure you'll get up there before I do. I'm curious too; let us know!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Ian

Okay, since I took a trip down to Bar Harbor and Acadia today, I was able to get some photos of the ferry shields, which are in reference to the Swans Island Ferry. Here is one of the shields in Tremont...

A little but up the road on ME 102, I found this old one with the LeHay font...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dougtone

The upside down blue pentagon is a common sign for ferries in Maine.  I've also seen this sign along US 1 for the Islesboro ferry.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.