News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nicknames for roads?

Started by woodpusher, June 25, 2014, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

WA-167 between Puyallup and Renton is known locally as the "Valley Freeway". I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass is almost always referred to as "Snoqualmie Pass" (i.e. the road is the pass).

The Coquihalla Highway in the BC interior is often just called "The Coq" (pronounced "coke").

I've also noticed a trend locally to refer to roads with the definite article. It's far from widespread but sometimes the traffic lady will slip and call it "The 90" but then follows with "Or...uh...I-90. Sorry".

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on June 30, 2014, 03:41:35 PM
US 1 within Trenton is known as the Trenton freeway. Technically speaking, that is the only freeway that enters the city limits of Trenton as well.
Route 29 never gets any respect...

Is it a freeway all the way through the city though? Sure, part of it is, but it then has several at-grade intersections with traffic signals which means it's just an arterial at that point. US 1 is the only freeway in Trenton that remains a freeway in the city limits. NJ 29 is a half-and-half.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on July 01, 2014, 12:39:17 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on June 30, 2014, 03:41:35 PM
US 1 within Trenton is known as the Trenton freeway. Technically speaking, that is the only freeway that enters the city limits of Trenton as well.
Route 29 never gets any respect...

Is it a freeway all the way through the city though? Sure, part of it is, but it then has several at-grade intersections with traffic signals which means it's just an arterial at that point. US 1 is the only freeway in Trenton that remains a freeway in the city limits. NJ 29 is a half-and-half.

There have been plans relatively recently to convert the downtown freeway portion to an at-grade boulevard to improve waterfront access, but I'm not sure where that stands.  It missed its shot at the big time when they put the lights in by the stadium.

Zeffy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 01, 2014, 10:11:36 AM
There have been plans relatively recently to convert the downtown freeway portion to an at-grade boulevard to improve waterfront access, but I'm not sure where that stands.  It missed its shot at the big time when they put the lights in by the stadium.

As I've said before, this is a good opportunity for Trenton, but at the same time, it is a nightmare for commuters. Waterfront development could spur some more business into the city, and waterfront properties are always a good thing to have. If people will visit Camden because of it's waterfront, then you have to imagine Trenton could bank off that success as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mrsman

NY-17 is known by some as the Quickway, being the Quickway from the Thruway to the Catskills.  I don't think this is an official name.

roadman65

To me its the Boringway!  I never experienced a more long drive than before as I did between Binghamton and Harriman.  There is really nothing much there, but then again I was a kid then as a passenger in my parent's car.

I always thought that I-80, I-380, and I-81 was quicker going between NYC metro and Binghamton.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

The freeway section of SR-176 between I-480 and I-71 in Cleveland has always been called the Jennings Freeway, mainly because for the first 30-some years of it's existence, it was an unnumbered freeway stub connecting I-71 to Jennings Rd. and Denison Ave.

Back in the 1970s, parts of 8 Mile Road (at least in the Livonia/Farmington area of Detroit) were also known and signed as Base Line Road.

It used to be commonplace in Akron to call much of it's freeway system as one big expressway culminating from the Central Interchange:

- SR-8 north of the Central Interchange was called the North Leg of the expressway
- I-76 east of the CI was the East Leg of the expressway
- The I-76/I-77 duplex west of the CI was called the West Leg of the expressway
- The short stretch of I-76 connecting US-224 and I-77 was called the Kenmore Leg of the expressway

Surprisingly, US-224 itself and I-77 south of the CI were always called by their route numbers, as I don't recall hearing people saying the "South Leg" or the "Waterloo Leg" (since the latter paralleled Waterloo Road/Old US-224).  The "Leg" terms have slowly died off with the people who used the terms the most in the 50's and 60s.

JakeFromNewEngland

In Connecticut, US 1 is known as the "Post Road" in many towns. I believe the route US 1 takes within Connecticut was an original route from the 1700-1800s called the "Boston Post Road". Also, the Wilbur Cross Parkway is sometimes called the Merritt Parkway. As most roadgeeks in this area would know, the Merritt Parkway ends at the Sikorsky Bridge in Milford but the Wilbur Cross continues on the other side. It's a common mistake. For example, most people would say "Take the Merritt to I-91." The right way to say it would be "Take the Meritt to the Wilbur Cross Parkway and continue towards I-91." Maybe we're just lazy people and not ALL roadgeeks.  :bigass:

roadman65

People too say take Route 3 East to the Lincoln Tunnel in NJ when NJ 3 since the 1950's ends now at US 1 & 9 in North Bergen in New Jersey.

People here in Florida refer to all of FL 417 as the Greeneway when in fact it only exists between Exit 6 and the Seminole County Line.  In Seminole County FL 417 is the Seminole Expressway and south of Exit 6 its the Southern Connector Expressway.

In NYC nobody ever refers to the Henry Hudson Parkway by its name, but calls it the West Side Highway when in fact that road is defunct since NYC tore it down after it fell apart which was located from the Battery to 60th Street about along NY 9A.

You have that all over with people using incorrect route names.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on July 04, 2014, 11:09:28 AM
To me its the Boringway!  I never experienced a more long drive than before as I did between Binghamton and Harriman.  There is really nothing much there, but then again I was a kid then as a passenger in my parent's car.

I've driven from Middletown to Binghamton, and I loved the drive. Very scenic.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2014, 08:45:46 AM
NY-17 is known by some as the Quickway, being the Quickway from the Thruway to the Catskills.  I don't think this is an official name.
Only the portion east of Binghamton.  West, it's called the Southern Tier Expressway.  It even has a shield.

Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2014, 06:36:18 PM

It does drag a bit though, especially in the long 55 zone from Hale Eddy to Roscoe (which is very heavily patrolled... driving to the Monticello meet, I must have passed 10 police cars!).  The Quickway and the Northway are both scenic and both go very long (for the east coast) distances without passing through major towns.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on July 04, 2014, 12:22:02 PM
Back in the 1970s, parts of 8 Mile Road (at least in the Livonia/Farmington area of Detroit) were also known and signed as Base Line Road.

That's because it is the actual base line for the Michigan Meridian (PLSS).  The meridian passes through (of all places), Meridian Township just east of Lansing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bugo

There's a Base Line Road (AR 338) in southwest Little Rock.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: vdeane on July 04, 2014, 06:40:47 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 04, 2014, 08:45:46 AM
Only the portion east of Binghamton.  West, it's called the Southern Tier Expressway.  It even has a shield.

Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2014, 06:36:18 PM

It does drag a bit though, especially in the long 55 zone from Hale Eddy to Roscoe (which is very heavily patrolled... driving to the Monticello meet, I must have passed 10 police cars!).  The Quickway and the Northway are both scenic and both go very long (for the east coast) distances without passing through major towns.

Maybe it's just my imagination but that Southern Tier Expressway sign looks suspiciously like the old man of the mountain shield outline in New Hampshire

iPhone

Arkansastravelguy

We have an interstate that runs through NW Arkansas numbered 49. Locals call it Highway 540. Even when I say "take 49" I get confused looks

iPhone

kurumi

My pejorative nickname for a certain interstate through a certain st^H^Hcommonwealth was "The Gallstone Shitway". Hated, hated, hated that road. But the hate has faded away.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

akotchi

Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2014, 04:09:17 PM
It is so funny you should mention those kind of nicknames as the Beachline in Florida was nicknamed that before it was changed legislatively!

I remember in the 1980's the Helix at the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken, NJ was nicknamed "The Screw" on the CB Radio.  Interestingly enough, the NJ Turnpike was nicknamed "The Green Stamp" also by CB Radio users because of its shield design.

I recall in my father's CB radio days -- 1970's -- that the Pa. Turnpike was also referred to as "The Green Stamp."  It might be a general CB term for any toll road.  It helps in these two cases that the logos are also green.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Kacie Jane

Apologies, because this will probably come off rather dickish, but...
Quote from: jake on July 01, 2014, 12:33:04 AM
WA-167 between Puyallup and Renton is known locally as the "Valley Freeway".

Are you certain this is a nickname and not the actual name?  I know the parallel surface street (part of which is SR 181) is officially the "West Valley Highway", and I think the freeway was named for the surface street.  (In fact, a common error is to refer to 167 as the West Valley Highway instead.)

I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass is almost always referred to as "Snoqualmie Pass" (i.e. the road is the pass).

Is this not the case with most passes, at least those where the name is commonly known?  Certainly is with nearby Stevens Pass as well.

I've also noticed a trend locally to refer to roads with the definite article. It's far from widespread but sometimes the traffic lady will slip and call it "The 90" but then follows with "Or...uh...I-90. Sorry".

If it's "far from widespread", then I don't think you can call it a "trend locally".  In fact, that's how you tell the SoCal transplants from the homegrown locals.  (Full disclosure: I am neither.)

hbelkins

The Southern Tier marker is a profile of an Indian, probably because the road runs through some tribal lands.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 05, 2014, 05:19:36 PM
Apologies, because this will probably come off rather dickish, but...

One cannot grow without criticism.

Are you certain this is a nickname and not the actual name?  I know the parallel surface street (part of which is SR 181) is officially the "West Valley Highway", and I think the freeway was named for the surface street.  (In fact, a common error is to refer to 167 as the West Valley Highway instead.)

Very certain. I've searched WSDOT's website and cannot find any reference to "Valley Freeway".

I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass is almost always referred to as "Snoqualmie Pass" (i.e. the road is the pass).

Is this not the case with most passes, at least those where the name is commonly known?  Certainly is with nearby Stevens Pass as well.

True. Not much I can say about that.

If it's "far from widespread", then I don't think you can call it a "trend locally".  In fact, that's how you tell the SoCal transplants from the homegrown locals.  (Full disclosure: I am neither.)

Tracy Taylor on King 5 has, on quite a few occasions, called a freeway "The....xx". I've noticed both my parents (one just moved here from Moreno Valley so no surprise) but the other is from here.

And yes, perhaps "trend" was poor word choice. In this sense, I mean I've heard it more than once.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jake on July 05, 2014, 07:51:40 PM

Very certain. I've searched WSDOT's website and cannot find any reference to "Valley Freeway".

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:wsdot.wa.gov+%22valley+freeway%22

Then try harder.  Not that this necessarily makes it an official name, but WSDOT references to the name are indeed numerous.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 05, 2014, 09:12:33 PM
Quote from: jake on July 05, 2014, 07:51:40 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:wsdot.wa.gov+%22valley+freeway%22

Then try harder.  Not that this necessarily makes it an official name, but WSDOT references to the name are indeed numerous.

I've never used Google website search...it appears to work a lot better than WSDOT's website search function.

vtk

Quote from: jake on July 05, 2014, 09:21:53 PMI've never used Google website search...it appears to work a lot better than WSDOT's website search function.

It can be handy. I recently used it to find all the pages on my web spaces that say "coming soon" so I could change them to "probably not coming soon", considering they had existed like that since 2008. Next I intend to use it to update the links on the root index page.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SidS1045

Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2014, 09:23:05 PMthe Saw Mill River State Parkway is signed as just the Saw Mill Parkway to save space.

That might be about to change...
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hm insulators

In the Los Angeles area, the South Bay Curve is that sharp bend in I-405 just south of LAX. The "Orange Crush" is where I-5, California 22 and California 57 all tie into each other.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.