News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

mmm... drooping penis shield.

speaking of drooping penises, there are some guide signs on 441 for Florida's Turnpike that are just as flaccid.  Alex, got any photos offhand?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kurumi

Quote from: Bickendan on September 22, 2010, 12:05:22 AM
FL Negative 2, nice.

I'm surprised there isn't a -1 somewhere. Just think of that gut-wrenching horrible pun: Route Negative One.

"i" don't get it :biggrin:
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

WillWeaverRVA

A strange "Frankensign" has appeared on I-64 WB, near the ramp to I-95 NB. There had previously been a damaged overhead a this location:

However, a few weeks later a truck hit the sign and knocked it down. Instead of re-mounting it, VDOT mounted it onto two wood posts to the left of the roadway. So now we have an overhead on two wood posts, slowly falling forward under its own weight. Then VDOT finally addressed the fact that some of the sign was missing, so they patched it...

...but the patch is in Clearview when the rest of the sign isn't! They literally covered ONLY the blank part of the sign with a bright Clearview patch, rather than replace the sign or cover the whole sign over with decals. I don't have a picture of this monstrosity (yet), but the sign now looks like this:

(spaces added for emphasis)

(I-95 shield) N O R TH
W a s h i n g ton
E X I T   O NLY

I'll post a picture later today.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

joseph1723

A few from Ontario:

Strange FHWA, Clearview, and Helvetica sign:

Strange bolded font:

Bolded FHWA:

Arial Shields:

Misshapen ON crowns and compressed series EM:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

There was once to be an access road here. Sometime in the 1980s (back when the Columbus Convention Center was still called the Ohio Center) it was decided that the access road was going to be closed to the general public. According to my notes this photo was taken in 2004. Last time I drove by there (this year) the sign has been replaced.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Ian

The CR shield on the left lacks the county name as well as "COUNTY" written on the bottom:

The Atlantic City Expressway also has a lot of horrible signs...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

architect77

I'm sorry, but this isn't an overhead, it's stupid looking...

and this just ugly...

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WNYroadgeek

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 23, 2010, 09:15:57 PM
What the hell were they thinking?!

If you go back up to my original post on the sign, it's a combination of laziness, bad luck, and lack of funds.

The nearby Exit 186 gore point sign is also a frequent victim of people hitting it trying to cut across onto the I-195 SB ramp. Instead of moving it to a safer location or building guardrails to block this movement, they just keep putting the sign back up in the same place again and again. It's been knocked down at least 10 times since it was installed in February!
Will Weaver

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Speaking of Frankenstein. This little off color exit tab existed on I-270 NB in the years between construction of the Easton exit and the new Oh 161 exit. Needless to say, this sign doesn't exist anymore

Another makeshift add-on job. Besides being out of place, the numbers aren't even the same size.  (This sign was replaced shortly after I had posted the photo)

No matter how it's spelled...don't do it. (In front of the Whetstone Branch of Columbus's public library system)

One of two infamous Oh 161 circle shield in Worthington. Both were mercifully replaced in the last 5 years or so.

An ugly interstate shield near Polaris. If it hasn't been replaced before, it will be replaced while this intersection is being widened (now).

After the state was truncated, it became a county route.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cu2010

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 23, 2010, 08:02:03 PM
Behold...Frankensign!

They couldn't at least make the patch the same size as the rest of the sign? EPIC FAIL.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Tarkus

Arial font signs are a pet peeve of mine. :ded:

This one's a classic monstrosity in Eugene, Oregon . . .

And then there's the Yamhill County, Oregon Department of Public Works, who takes ugly to a new standard, with their mutant Arial speed limit signs.  Not only is the font ugly, but the spacing and proportions are completely out of whack.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Bickendan

The only thing going for those speed limit signs is the omitted 'limit'.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on September 23, 2010, 09:34:29 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 23, 2010, 09:15:57 PM
What the hell were they thinking?!

If you go back up to my original post on the sign, it's a combination of laziness, bad luck, and lack of funds.

The nearby Exit 186 gore point sign is also a frequent victim of people hitting it trying to cut across onto the I-195 SB ramp. Instead of moving it to a safer location or building guardrails to block this movement, they just keep putting the sign back up in the same place again and again. It's been knocked down at least 10 times since it was installed in February!

If you look at the original photo, the setting for the sign when it was still an overhead was pretty bad in shape. I would consider the fact that they didn't strap it on that well a situation of great DOT work. Then again, who can beat the Pennsylvanians? :P
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

codyg1985

Quote from: architect77 on September 23, 2010, 08:05:46 PM
I'm sorry, but this isn't an overhead, it's stupid looking...

I believe they do those butterfly gantries to improve visibility of the signs if you are in the middle or left lanes and there's a truck in the right lane blocking view of the sign.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Scott5114

Quote from: Tarkus on September 24, 2010, 02:58:12 AM
Arial font signs are a pet peeve of mine. :ded:

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Behold...Frankensign!

Damn!  Not only is the patch just terrible, but the exit number appears to be a replacement as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Wacky Alabama shields really take the cake.  :ded:

agentsteel53

that 98 ain't all that much better.  I nominate everything from the 1970 federal specifications as "the worst of road signs"  :banghead:

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Brandon on September 24, 2010, 10:42:01 AM
Behold...Frankensign!

Damn!  Not only is the patch just terrible, but the exit number appears to be a replacement as well.

The exit number patch has been there since the exits were renumbered in 1992, though. The tabs need to be replaced entirely, because the storms we had earlier this year blew off some of the patches (exit 75 on I-95 NB became exit 11 temporarily).
Will Weaver

codyg1985

Quote from: AARoads on September 24, 2010, 11:49:19 AM

It looks like they chopped Alabama off at around Montgomery and kept everything south of it.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 24, 2010, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: AARoads on September 24, 2010, 11:49:19 AM

It looks like they chopped Alabama off at around Montgomery and kept everything south of it.

It's a great example of why state-shaped shields don't work in all cases.  Either keep the state shape on the shield somewhat like it is on the ground, or don't bother.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

the old Alabama state shield did have the correct outline until 1961.

of course, to meet modern standards, you'd need either very narrow numbers, or to cut two "slots" in the side to fit wider numbers, like Illinois.

an Alabama outline with appropriate segments cut away would look very nice.  Florida still uses that style of shield, even though the 1961 specification called for high-contrast shields (black background).

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.