News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

OnRoute, 400 series hwys, Travel Centres (Services)

Started by aridawn, March 25, 2011, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aridawn

The MTO Ministry of Transportation, Ontario is currently reconstructing the service centres on Hwys 400, 401. The aging buildings are being torn down and reconstructed on or beside existing foundations or buildings.  The Province as hired an eastern Ontario firm to design/build new buildings to serve motorist on Ontario's busiest roads.  The new centres are also going to have wi-fi access and limited truck parking. Canadian Tire a Canadian department store chain, will be the key lease holder of the property and will be providing 24hr gas and convenience stores.  HMS Host will sublet and lease concessions to franchise holders, as well as provide maintenance, a gift shop and news stand.  These new centres will all be branded under the banner of, OnRoute with BGS signs to match on the highways.  Of all the centres to be reconstructed only 3 travel plazas will be left 'as is' until their respective leases with the province expires, sometime around year 2025-30. These underwent renovations at around the late 90's.  Here is the link for a complete listing of all centres and further info on construction. www.onroute.ca/

Dr Frankenstein

Quebec is similarly rebuilding its welcome centres in Rivière-Beaudette (A-20/ON-401) and Rigaud (A-40/ON-417) near the Ontario border. I wonder if it's in an attempt to keep up with those shiny new OnRoute centres. :p

aridawn

Is Quebec converting their rest areas to Service Plazas? I read somewhere on MTQ's website about adding additional services but haven't seen much in the field. I know A20 east of Montreal could us a few as there isn't much without have to go into some towns.  As a former truck driver it was hard if not impossible to grab a quick bite without being shooed out of parking lots.

Dr Frankenstein

From what I witnessed, they only converted the ones bordering Ontario. Competitive much?

aridawn

I am wondering, with the extension of ON-400 north of Perry Sound and the Bypass of Nobel, will the province open a services on the hwy as they have bypassed the one operated by HMS Host in the villege.  IE, the Esso gas station with a combo Wendy's and Tim Hortons.

AsphaltPlanet

A few years ago, they opened a new Petro-Canada with a Licks Restaurant and Tim Horton's attached at Horesehoe Lake Road (iirc?).  It's not the same as a service centre obviously, but it is signed from the 400 as something like the 'Georgian Bay Travel Centre' with big blue on white signs.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.