News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Upcoming Newfoundland Trip

Started by deathtopumpkins, November 05, 2012, 04:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2012, 06:41:52 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 06, 2012, 10:27:15 AM
It is good practice to call your credit card company ahead to tell them you're going out of the country, so they don't mistakenly block your card because they think it's been compromised in Canada (still, I forget that part all the time and never got any trouble).

When we go to México, I never bother calling ahead, and haven't had any trouble.  But this past June, our youth pastor tried using his work credit card for importing his vehicle, and it was rejected and then blocked.  It's a good thing he had his personal credit card with him!  I suspect the alert system was higher for his since it was not just a personal card.

We go to Costa Rica quite often and, one year, I used my debit card at a restaurant and tried to use it at a supermarket about 45 minutes later.  It was declined.  So, I tried an ATM.  Same deal.   When I got near a phone, I called the bank (no small feat, as they only have an 800 number that doesn't work outside North America).   It turns out that the first transaction was flagged and they pulled the plug on my card.   Apparently, fraud is rampant on cards in certain areas; Latin America and Florida were cited as the two most suspect regions.   

The advice I was given was to notify them before leaving the country and to tell them for how long I will be away.   They then note it in my file.   I now do that and have never had a problem again.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 06, 2012, 05:58:07 PMJust wanted to make sure you knew about the current law. I know a fellow who grew up in Buffalo and has a passport but did not have it with him when he drove to Toronto two years ago. The Canadian border authorities didn't care, but it took him several hours to get back into the United States (probably not helped by what he described as his reaction of "What the hell are you talking about? I grew up in Buffalo and everybody knows you don't need a passport!"). Just wanted to make sure you didn't cause yourself unnecessary trouble.

Indeed, the entry requirements for Canada have not changed. But I'm surprised the border agent did not tell your friend about the new U.S. requirements, which apply to their own citizens. (Although I don't think they can legally deny entry to their own citizens).

1995hoo

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 07, 2012, 09:31:58 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 06, 2012, 06:41:52 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 06, 2012, 10:27:15 AM
It is good practice to call your credit card company ahead to tell them you're going out of the country, so they don't mistakenly block your card because they think it's been compromised in Canada (still, I forget that part all the time and never got any trouble).

When we go to México, I never bother calling ahead, and haven't had any trouble.  But this past June, our youth pastor tried using his work credit card for importing his vehicle, and it was rejected and then blocked.  It's a good thing he had his personal credit card with him!  I suspect the alert system was higher for his since it was not just a personal card.

We go to Costa Rica quite often and, one year, I used my debit card at a restaurant and tried to use it at a supermarket about 45 minutes later.  It was declined.  So, I tried an ATM.  Same deal.   When I got near a phone, I called the bank (no small feat, as they only have an 800 number that doesn't work outside North America).   It turns out that the first transaction was flagged and they pulled the plug on my card.   Apparently, fraud is rampant on cards in certain areas; Latin America and Florida were cited as the two most suspect regions.   

The advice I was given was to notify them before leaving the country and to tell them for how long I will be away.   They then note it in my file.   I now do that and have never had a problem again.

I've never called American Express before any travel, nor have I ever called any other card issuer for any travel in North America. I did call Chase before our Baltic cruise in 2007 and I was glad I did: They said they would have blocked all transactions instantly had it been used in any of the countries on our route without prior notice, especially Russia. (As it turned out I mainly used American Express except in Germany, where I paid cash. Amex didn't bat an eye at any of it.) So it's probably a reasonable precaution if you're not sure about your card or if you're going somewhere you've never been before. American Express probably differs a bit because it's traditionally a more travel-oriented product.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mc78andrew

I used my Amex in South Africa without calling ahead with no issues back in June.  They were happy to charge me a small foreign transaction for each swipe, but that was about the only issue I had.  Oh yeah, they bent me over on the ZAR exchange rate too! 

vdeane

For some reason my First Niagara MasterCard gives me a better exchange rate (with no transaction fees) than the First Niagara branches will give me for currency conversion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

First Niagara is horrible with currency conversion...their exchange rate is about ten cents below the actual rate!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

I actually made a profit on one of the Honors trips because of their exchange rate - the final amount they calculated was 10 cents lower than the amount Honors calculated for the parking bill.  Unfortunately, the bank wasn't as nice as the credit card company (they're separate, despite having the same name; they don't even share account records), and I lost $2 converting the remainder of the meal money they gave us in Canadian back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.