Texarkana Regional Road Meet (Take Deux)

Started by US71, December 09, 2010, 07:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Looking at the calendar, it appears that April 16 or 23rd are the best weekends to try again for a Texarkana Regional Road Meet.  Given the current progress on I-49, this could easily turn into a Day & a Half or 2 Day meet.

Some of the proposed stops are :

old US 67 NE of Texarkana
I-30 from State Line Rd to US 59 interchange (major rebuild going on)
Future I-30/I-49 interchange east of Texarkana
AR 549 at US 71 near Doddridge
State Line Rd, Downtown Texarkana

LA 168 at I-49
Mira-Myrtis Rd at I-49
I-49 overpass on US 71 north of Hosston
LA 2 at Future I-49 near Hosston
US 71 at Future I-49 near Gilliam

Feel free to post here or contact me privately as to which weekend is better.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

I'm on for either the 16th or 23rd.  Going to be making a loop from Phoenix->San Diego->Barstow->Oklahoma City (entirely via US 66 remnants)->Texarkana->US 380->El Paso->Phoenix.

hbelkins

Best day for me would actually be the Saturday prior to the two options you posted, April 9. I have to take either Friday or Monday as unpaid days off and one of those would be an ideal travel day.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on December 10, 2010, 10:17:14 AM
Best day for me would actually be the Saturday prior to the two options you posted, April 9. I have to take either Friday or Monday as unpaid days off and one of those would be an ideal travel day.

That's iffy. I may have a show that weekend, but I'm waiting on the promoters to tell me exactly where.

okroads

April 16 or 23 is fine with me; April 9 would not work for me as I have a wedding to go to...

mightyace

The 23rd is out for me.  (Easter Weekend)

The 16th depends on whether I decide to go to Talladega on the 17th or not.

The 9th would be perfect for me because I could go to the meet on the 9th and to the race in Texas (Fort Worth area) on the 10th.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Yeah, I think we should rule out Easter weekend.  I'm also good on the 9th FWIW (or any weekend, really).

Scott5114

Maybe. I do have some vacation days that I could take but I'll have to see.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 10, 2010, 05:53:06 PM
Yeah, I think we should rule out Easter weekend.  I'm also good on the 9th FWIW (or any weekend, really).

ACK! Didn't realize 23rd was Easter Weekend. OK, 9 or 16, then?

hbelkins

April's shaping up to be a busy month work-wise for me. My annual "cell phones are from the Devil" conference is the 25th-27th in Loserville. (Remind me again to pontificate on how much I hate the Galt House or going downtown in Loserville for conferences in general) and I will have a class in disaster/crisis communications sometime during the week of April 4-8 in Pikeville. So when you get the date nailed down, announcement of it would be appreciated.

US71

Unless I receive major objections, I'm going to say the weekend of April 16 with a possible meet & greet Friday night.

Saturday meet-up probably at Pizza Inn on US 71 just north of I-30.

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2011, 05:52:28 PM
Unless I receive major objections, I'm going to say the weekend of April 16 with a possible meet & greet Friday night.

Definite meet and greet Friday night.  Since I'll be in town anyway and I'll have to eat dinner, may as well have others along for the company.  (BTW, Google Maps shows Pizza Inn just _south_ of I-30, which is it?)

US71

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 17, 2011, 10:33:07 PM

Definite meet and greet Friday night.  Since I'll be in town anyway and I'll have to eat dinner, may as well have others along for the company.  (BTW, Google Maps shows Pizza Inn just _south_ of I-30, which is it?)

Bing says it's just north. I've been there before, but I'll verify when I'm thru there in a couple weeks.

okroads

At this time, it's about a 50-50 chance I'll be able to make it.

US71

Quote from: okroads on January 19, 2011, 11:18:43 AM
At this time, it's about a 50-50 chance I'll be able to make it.

Plenty of time, right now. I'd like an approx headcount by April 1, but that's still a couple months off.

codyg1985

It's a 50-50 for me as well right now. We'll see come April how things look.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 17, 2011, 10:42:28 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 17, 2011, 10:33:07 PM

Bing says it's just north. I've been there before, but I'll verify when I'm thru there in a couple weeks.
Oh yeah, Google Maps is never wrong.  Sorry, I'll buy you a new sarcasm meter.  Anyway, apparently the PE exam is on April 8, and I would fly out April 9 to do the Texark meet (starting in San Diego or Phoenix, don't ask), so please keep it on the 16th!

Scott5114

I'll go ahead and say sure, I'm in. Might as well use my vacation days to go to a state I've never been to (LA) and pick up a bunch of counties in TX!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

My wife drove through Texarkana yesterday on her way to Dallas. Even though it was dusk-to-dark when she went through, she said the Texas side of I-30 is a maze of construction, especially along the frontage roads.

I'm still iffy. Depends on scheduling of other things, including some work-related stuff that's coming up in April.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2011, 09:50:10 AM
My wife drove through Texarkana yesterday on her way to Dallas. Even though it was dusk-to-dark when she went through, she said the Texas side of I-30 is a maze of construction, especially along the frontage roads.

Yes, they are rebuilding the Frontage Roads from Exit 2 in Arkansas to at least the US 59 Interchange. IIRC, they are going to be one-way roads when finished.

Alps

Facebook event says this is a two-day event - what's the game plan for days 1 and 2? My itinerary currently takes me out of town early on the Sunday, but I might be able to stick around longer if it's worthwhile.

(P.S. - for the meet and greet Friday, I'm thinking Los Agaves looks pretty good. #5100 N. Stateline, also close to meet location and hotels.)

hbelkins

I may be back on for this. My wife is encouraging me to attend if I can work it into my work schedule. Although I wouldn't be around for the Sunday festivities.

US71

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 21, 2011, 10:42:46 PM
Facebook event says this is a two-day event - what's the game plan for days 1 and 2? My itinerary currently takes me out of town early on the Sunday, but I might be able to stick around longer if it's worthwhile.

Day 1 would be Texarkana area: US 59 interchange, future I-130, old US 67, and I-49 to around Doddridge, AR or Ola, LA (depending on time)

Day 2 is optional and would be primarily exploring I-49 construction further south in LA, if there is enough interest. There is now some semblance of construction to within 15 miles of Shreveport.

US71

I've just had a major schedule conflict come up and must move the date.

I'm looking at April 30, September (17 or 24) or trying again in 2012.

Alps

Quote from: US71 on March 24, 2011, 01:10:37 PM
I've just had a major schedule conflict come up and must move the date.

I'm looking at April 30, September (17 or 24) or trying again in 2012.
My trip's not moving, so I'm still rolling through April 15-16. Now it just means I get a day long layover in scenic Texarkana with nothing to do. Oh joy of joys. (Not like anyone else had RSVPed though.) If anyone's within N miles of Texarkana and free that Saturday, holler at me.

Quote from: US71 on March 24, 2011, 12:11:34 AM
Day 1 would be Texarkana area: US 59 interchange, future I-130, old US 67, and I-49 to around Doddridge, AR or Ola, LA (depending on time)
Curious about what to see re: future I-130 and old US 67? Appreciate a pointer to it since now apparently I'm on my own.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.