News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2012 Ohio meet?

Started by A.J. Bertin, February 20, 2012, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Yeah, I got new counties and road clinches out of that trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Looks like Steph and I can make it, as long as it still on 6/9, we may run a few minutes late but we are still there. Only a 6 hour drive from middle TN and will leave the house at the crack of dawn. We have friends in the area we will plan to visit too. This will make my 3rd road meet for the year!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Bump.  :sombrero:

The approaching springtime means it is about time for the 2012 Ohio Roads Meet. This year we will be meeting up in Dayton, where substantial changes have been made to the area's highway system since the last meet there in 2008. Join us on Saturday, 6/9, starting at noon... at Milano's Atlantic City Submarines, near the University of Dayton campus.

Some of the highlights of the tour will include:
1. I-75/US 35 punch-through construction
2. Completed reconstruction of I-75/OH 4 "Malfunction Junction"
3. Viewing of I-75/I-70 Freedom Veterans Crossroads interchange
4. Driving tour across re-routed US 40 @ Englewood Dam (Part 1)
5. Dixie Highway and Old National Road intersection
6. Re-routed US-40 @ Taylorsville Dam (Part 2)
7. Complete clinch of I-675 (detour to view Evel Knievel carnage on bridge)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/341076792610393/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Just a couple days away!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I booked a room in Miamisburg for Friday night. Arrival time not known at this point. I may end up changing motels, though. Not sure yet.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Forecast for Saturday in Dayton is for no clouds and temps to approach 90.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

It was a good meet, and Sandor was the unofficial host.  A good host too, thanks.  :cool:

Yes, the SEND HELP sign made yet another appearance.

Dixie Hwy and National Rd.

Checking out original National Road bridge abutments.

Stopped for a rest at I-70 and I-75.  The park designer must be a civil engineer.

Park honoring Dayton's role in aeronautics and aviation.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Drove up Friday afternoon. To avoid I-75 traffic in Cincinnati, I basically took KY 11 (with a detour to check out the rerouting of KY 57 to make it a continuous route), US 68 and OH 73 to Dayton.

Signage in Aberdeen concerning US 62 and US 68 has changed since  I was last there. Ohio no longer recognizes Business US 68. Only Business US 62 is signed. Also, signage at the Ohio end of the William Harsha Bridge has changed. It originally used north and south as directions for US 68, in keeping with Ohio's practice. At some point south was changed to west to denote how Kentucky signs US 68. Now it's all north and south again.

Still a lot of butt-ugly US 68 shields north of the US 62 split. Mt. Orab has installed a lot of street signage with the route marker included, and all the signs are for "OH 68" instead of US 68. No pics, unfortunately.

Spotted an error OH 68 sign (did get a pic) and some older signage south of Wilmington.

An OH 73 bypass has been built to the north of Wilmington, but I did not know that as OH 73 is still signed along with US 22 and OH 3 through downtown.

It was a very easy drive across OH 73 to the Dayton area (Springboro), where I took OH 741 north to the Miamisburg area, where my motel was.

Meet host Dan Garnell was unable to make it, but he managed to get in touch with Sandor Gulyas, who became our host by default and led us on the tour. We saw some of the same sights as the Dayton meet back a few years ago plus some extras.

After the meet I headed south and spent the night in Florence, across the river from Cincinnati. There was some construction around the St. Bernard exit but other than that, very little to report. Most of the button copy along I-75 in Cincinnati is gone now, but a few signs still stand.

This morning's trip down I-75 to Lexington was uneventful, although I was lucky enough to miss two wrecks that had blocked southbound traffic near Corinth and again near I-64 a bit earlier.

Great to see old friends and make a couple of new acquaintances.

jpi

Steph and I made it back to middle TN fine yesterday. We spent the night Saturday in Middletown, OH, saw a great "US 122" sign goof on OH 122 but forgot to get a pic (I will try in 2 months when I am back in the area) ran I-75 south to Mt Vernon, KY then ran KY 461 to KY80 west to Somerset and had supper, then west on Cumberland PKWY to Glascow and ran US 31E south to US 231 south to the house. I see the new exit in Glascow is now fully opened. Other then that nothing much else to report, great seeing everyone again!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Drove over on Saturday morning and got back late Saturday night.

Took I-55 south to IL-47 through the Arsenal Road interchange construction (as seen at the Joliet meet in April).  There has been some progress since then.

Along I-55, Exit 238 is now completely closed.

Even the pavement has been removed from the ramp.

IL-47 was being repaved south of the Ford/Champaign County Line.

Took IL-47 to Mahomet and then I-74 east to Indianapolis.  That finished off the original I-74 for me.  Then I took I-465 down to the Sam Jones Expressway.  Nice short road, must have been useful before the airport terminal was moved.  From there, it was I-70 east to I-75.  Indy has really low speed limits, IMHO, at 50mph in the city.  Most traffic was closer to 60mph.  Took I-75 down to the meet.

After the meet, I drove I-75 south to I-275 in Kentucky, and then I-275 back to I-74.

I-74 west to I-465, and then north and west to I-865 and I-65 back up to I-80/94.  Most of the driving was fine and peaceful until I got to US-30.  Then all hell started to break loose.  Once on the Borman, I was confronted by the usual "combat driving" style of the average Borman driver.   :-o :fight: :verymad: :ded: X-(  Took I-80 back to Larkin Avenue (Exit 130).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.