News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnutella

Keep raising the tolls until the entire Turnpike has been reconstructed, and then when that's done, use it to smack down all the business owners near the major highway junctions that don't yet have direct connections.

vdeane

Unfortunately all the toll increases currently go to mass transit in Pittsburg and Philadelphia.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: vdeane on March 29, 2014, 06:09:16 PM
Unfortunately all the toll increases currently go to mass transit in Pittsburg and Philadelphia.

This!

Environmentalists, cyclists, NIMBYs, and mass transit supporters are going to be the death of the great American road system. They are leeches on the bloodline of America.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

cpzilliacus

Philly.com: Cost of Pa. turnpike 'pay-to-play' - about $45M

QuoteHow much does "pay-to-play" contracting cost the public?

QuoteAbout $45 million, in one episode at the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, according to a recent analysis of a contract for computer software.

QuoteThe analysis concluded that the turnpike commission paid far too much and received far too little when it bought a software system from Ciber Inc., of Greenwood Village, Colo., whose former vice president has been charged by state prosecutors with giving gifts to turnpike officials to win contracts.

QuoteThe report said the turnpike commission paid about five times more than it should have - for a faulty system.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Gnutella

I just came across a map detailing the past, present and future reconstruction work on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, updated last July. It includes several future projects contingent upon the passage of Act 89. Here's the list of completed, ongoing and future projects:

Completed
(With year of completion)

- MM 94 to MM 99 (2000)*

- MM 186 to MM 199 (2001)*

- MM 75 to MM 85 (2002)*

- MM 38 to MM 40 (2005)*
- MM 85 to MM 94 (2005)*
- MM 109 to MM 121 (2005)*

- MM 331 to MM 333 (2006)

- MM 124 to MM 128 (2008)*
- MM 245 to MM 247 (2008)
- MM 326 to MM 331 (2008)

- MM 0 to MM 10 (2009)
- MM 210 to MM 215 (2009)

- MM 48 to MM 50 (2010)

- MM 67 to MM 75 (2011)

- MM 31 to MM 38 (2012)
- MM 319 to MM 320 (2012)
- MM A74 to MM A75 (2012)

- MM 199 to MM 202 (2013)

BLUE: Denotes a segment that did not involve lane capacity expansion.
PURPLE: Denotes a segment slated for future lane capacity expansion.
*: Denotes a segment that will require future lane capacity expansion.

Sometime between 2005 and 2008, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission must have decided to do lane capacity expansion on the entire Turnpike.

Ongoing
(With projected year of completion)

- MM A20 to MM A26 (2013)

- MM 206 to MM 210 (2014)

Future
(With projected year of design completion)

- MM 220 to MM 227 (2013)
- MM 242 to MM 245 (2013)
- MM A26 to MM A31 (2013)

- MM 40 to MM 48 (2014)
- MM 202 to MM 206 (2014)
- MM 250 to MM 252 (2014)
- MM 320 to MM 326 (2014)

- MM 99 to MM 109 (2015)

- MM 12 to MM 14 (2016)
- MM 28 to MM 31 (2016)
- MM 150 to MM 156 (2016)
- MM 312 to MM 319 (2016)

- MM 53 to MM 57 (2017)
- MM 57 to MM 67 (2017)
- MM 180 to MM 186 (2017)
- MM A31 to MM A38 (2017)
- MM A38 to MM A44 (2017)
- MM A88 to MM A89 (2017)

- MM 49 to MM 53 (2018)
- MM 156 to MM 162 (2018)*
- MM 298 to MM 302 (2018)
- MM 302 to MM 308 (2018)
- MM 308 to MM 312 (2018)
- MM A44 to MM A48 (2018)*
- MM A48 to MM A53 (2018)*
- MM A53 to MM A57 (2018)*

- MM 124 to MM 134 (20??)
- MM 315 to MM 359 (20??)

RED: Denotes a design project that might entail interchange reconstruction.
BLUE: Denotes a design project that does not involve lane capacity expansion.
*: Denotes a design project enabled by the passage of Act 89.

This leaves the following segments still unaccounted for:

- MM 10 to MM 12
- MM 14 to MM 28
- MM 121 to MM 124
- MM 134 to MM 150
- MM 162 to MM 180
- MM 227 to MM 242
- MM 247 to MM 250
- MM 252 to MM 298
- MM 333 to MM 351
- MM A57 to MM A74
- MM A75 to MM A88
- MM A89 to MM A132

That's 208 of the 491 miles of the Turnpike and the Northeast Extension. It looks like the total reconstruction project is nearing its halfway point.

akotchi

333 to 351 was widened in the late 1980s.  Likely needs to be resurfaced, but not another full reconstruction.

351 to 358 (not listed above) is part of the I-95/Turnpike interchange project.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

ARMOURERERIC

12-14 is under construction now and includes the replacement of the Beaver River Bridge and eliminaton of the PA 18 double trumpet
40-48 is also under construction now
121-124 is the Allegheny Tunnel
134-150 would involve the I-99, Us 220 Bedford Interchange

Gnutella

I guess the way the Turnpike Commission did the list was a bit particular, because they say that MM 12 to MM 14 and MM 40 to MM 48 are still in design, but I guess that's probably referring to the mainline because the construction currently taking place in those zones is bridge replacement.

ARMOURERERIC

I am curious:  Are there any Turnpike mainline ADT's approaching or surpassing the 8 lane level, other than say the Delaware River Bridge after the 95 ramps are done.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 23, 2014, 12:34:50 PM
I am curious:  Are there any Turnpike mainline ADT's approaching or surpassing the 8 lane level, other than say the Delaware River Bridge after the 95 ramps are done.

Probably not with the Act 44-related tolls that the Turnpike Commission has to charge its patrons!
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CentralPAGal

Work is now starting on the Swatara Creek bridge replacement project.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/turnpike_begins_work_on_48_mil.html

Additionally, MP242-245 widening goes to bid in December
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 23, 2014, 12:34:50 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in the Philly area, especially near the NE Extension Interchange.

Mr_Northside

Turnpike work set to begin

Not really any great new information... but they say the Allegheny Valley to PA-8 section is on schedule.
(When they had this article posted this morning, it was with a picture of a freeway in Virginia, but they since changed it)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jemacedo9

..just an FYI, there is a sign replacement project on the eastern portion of the Turnpike...definitely includes Exit 312 through to Exit 343.  There are concrete foundations placed in most places, and it looks like many of the sign bridges both on the mainline and on the interchange ramps are being replaced with monotube structures. 

The 2 mile advance BGS eastbound for Exit 333 used to read TO 476 SOUTH | Norristown...it now reads 476 SOUTH | Chester.  Most of the other signs haven't been replaced yet.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on May 27, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
..just an FYI, there is a sign replacement project on the eastern portion of the Turnpike...definitely includes Exit 312 through to Exit 343.  There are concrete foundations placed in most places, and it looks like many of the sign bridges both on the mainline and on the interchange ramps are being replaced with monotube structures. 

The 2 mile advance BGS eastbound for Exit 333 used to read TO 476 SOUTH | Norristown...it now reads 476 SOUTH | Chester.  Most of the other signs haven't been replaced yet.
About time IMHO.  All the Norristown exit BGS' along eastbound 276 should include 476 SOUTH references.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Gnutella

Speaking of sign changes along the Turnpike, I like the idea of renaming some of them to better reflect the major cities they pass. In the Pittsburgh area, you have Exit 28 which is currently named 'Cranberry,' and Exit 57 which is currently named 'Pittsburgh.' I say name Exit 28 'Pittsburgh North' and Exit 57 'Pittsburgh East.' In the Philadelphia area, you have Exit 326 which is currently named 'Valley Forge,' and you'll soon have Exit 357 when the I-95 interchange is completed. I say name Exit 326 'Philadelphia West' and Exit 357 'Philadelphia East.' Doing this would make both cities accounted for by traffic from both directions.

Another idea I have that would promote tourism a bit is for Exit 91 (Donegal) and Exit 110 (Somerset) to have a series of signs listing various notable and recreational destinations. Envision these as signs:

STATE PARKS
Bear Run
Kooser
Laurel Hill
Laurel Mountain
EXIT 91

STATE PARKS
Laurel Ridge
Laurel Summit
Linn Run
Ohiopyle
EXIT 91

HISTORIC SITES
Braddock's Grave
Fort Ligonier
Fort Necessity Nat'l Battlefield
Laurel Caverns
EXIT 91

RESORTS
Hidden Valley
Nemacolin Woodlands
Seven Springs
The Springs at Laurel Mountain
EXIT 91

DESTINATIONS
Fallingwater
Great Allegheny Passage
Idlewild Park and Soak Zone
Youghiogheny Lake
EXIT 91

HISTORIC SITES
Flight 93 National Memorial
Johnstown Flood Memorial
EXIT 110

DESTINATIONS
Lake Quemahoning
Mount Davis
Stonycreek Lake
EXIT 110

I do think Pennsylvania should promote some of its destinations better than it does, and one thing that would help would be more and better signage for them on the highways.

Zeffy

Does the MUTCD allow that many destinations even for brown guide signs? In any case, here's a mockup of what the exit 110 sign may look like...

This is a positive contrast situation, and it's PennDOT, so not using Clearview is just silly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Gnutella on May 28, 2014, 09:58:49 AM
Speaking of sign changes along the Turnpike, I like the idea of renaming some of them to better reflect the major cities they pass. In the Pittsburgh area, you have Exit 28 which is currently named 'Cranberry,' and Exit 57 which is currently named 'Pittsburgh.' I say name Exit 28 'Pittsburgh North' and Exit 57 'Pittsburgh East.' In the Philadelphia area, you have Exit 326 which is currently named 'Valley Forge,' and you'll soon have Exit 357 when the I-95 interchange is completed. I say name Exit 326 'Philadelphia West' and Exit 357 'Philadelphia East.' Doing this would make both cities accounted for by traffic from both directions.

I get what you're getting at here, although I generally hate dividing cities up like this, especially since a city like Philadelphia doesn't really have West & East per se. 

Neighborhood areas are described by their direction...West Philly is basically a crime ridden area; there's 'North Philly' & 'South Philly', but 'East Philly' doesn't really exist at all.

And by keeping people on the Turnpike an extra 30 miles alone, when they could've been at their destination in less than 20 via 76 or 95, probably doesn't help traffic flow either as traffic volumes on the PA Turnpike are quite high in this area.

In a case like Philly, I think simply stating Philadelphia is good enough for those travelling from either direction, as the routes from the PA Turnpike run in a convenient angle towards the city.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on May 28, 2014, 11:54:00 AM
Does the MUTCD allow that many destinations even for brown guide signs? In any case, here's a mockup of what the exit 110 sign may look like...
That's supposed to be Flight 93, assuming that you're referring to the UA 757 crash site circa 9/11/01.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2014, 12:10:44 PMI get what you're getting at here, although I generally hate dividing cities up like this, especially since a city like Philadelphia doesn't really have West & East per se. 

Neighborhood areas are described by their direction...West Philly is basically a crime ridden area; there's 'North Philly' & 'South Philly', but 'East Philly' doesn't really exist at all.

And by keeping people on the Turnpike an extra 30 miles alone, when they could've been at their destination in less than 20 via 76 or 95, probably doesn't help traffic flow either as traffic volumes on the PA Turnpike are quite high in this area.

In a case like Philly, I think simply stating Philadelphia is good enough for those travelling from either direction, as the routes from the PA Turnpike run in a convenient angle towards the city.
At present, eastbounders along the PA Turnpike (I-76) encounter a supplemental sign just over two miles prior to the Valley Forge exit that reads Philadelphia NEXT 5 EXITS.  Giving 2 interchanges along the Turnpike that contain the exact same name, Philadelphia in this case, with no distinction at all will actually cause more confusion IMHO than it would solve; especially when one reads the toll rate/ticket schedule.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on May 28, 2014, 09:58:49 AM

Hmmm.... Personally, I kinda feel the exact opposite way.  I like that the interchange names more reflect where the interchange itself is,  and the control destinations can indicate the major cities serviced. 
For example, I'd actually change the "Pittsburgh" interchange to "Monroeville", and "Butler Valley" to probably either "Hampton" or "Gibsonia" ("Allegheny Valley" is in the actual Allegheny Valley, so it's fine)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 01:07:05 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2014, 12:10:44 PMI get what you're getting at here, although I generally hate dividing cities up like this, especially since a city like Philadelphia doesn't really have West & East per se. 

At present, eastbounders along the PA Turnpike (I-76) encounter a supplemental sign just over two miles prior to the Valley Forge exit that reads Philadelphia NEXT 5 EXITS.  Giving 2 interchanges along the Turnpike that contain the exact same name, Philadelphia in this case, with no distinction at all will actually cause more confusion IMHO than it would solve; especially when one reads the toll rate/ticket schedule.

How much confusion has it caused over the past 60 or so years?

Being that there's no East Philadelphia, how does one even define East Philadelphia, much less go to East Philadelphia?

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2014, 01:54:11 PM

Being that there's no East Philadelphia, how does one even define East Philadelphia, much less go to East Philadelphia?

Let's look at Google Maps!

...oh, there's a North, South, and West Philadelphia. Guess they didn't want an eastern Philly. I mean, you could call Camden East Philadelphia, though I'm not sure Camdenites would appreciate that... or maybe they would?

Even more interesting is the fact that they have a "South Philadelphia West" labeled on the map.

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 01:31:31 PM
93 should be in Highway Gothic.

While I am a Clearview opposer, I believe that in situations like this, and others where numerals are used in the main destination legend (such as numbered street names), that the numerals should be allowed to remain in Clearview, just because switching fonts in the middle of the same line of text just seems odd to me. However, were this sign in, say, New Jersey, I would've easily made the entire sign in Highway Gothic, but since I was going for how PennDOT does these things, I stuck with Clearview.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2014, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 01:07:05 PMAt present, eastbounders along the PA Turnpike (I-76) encounter a supplemental sign just over two miles prior to the Valley Forge exit that reads Philadelphia NEXT 5 EXITS.  Giving 2 interchanges along the Turnpike that contain the exact same name, Philadelphia in this case, with no distinction at all will actually cause more confusion IMHO than it would solve; especially when one reads the toll rate/ticket schedule.

Last time I checked, there's only been one PA Turnpike interchange called/named Philadelphia: until recently, it was always the US 1 interchange (since renamed Bensalem); and it will be the new I-95/195 interchange.  Not sure where you're getting the notion that PTC has more than one interchange simultaneously named Philadelphia.

The fore-mentioned supplemental sign stating Philadelphia NEXT 5 EXITS by no means was stating that the PA Turnpike has five interchanges named Philadelphia; just that it has five connections to roads that lead into Philadelphia and most here, including yourself, knows that.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 28, 2014, 01:54:11 PMBeing that there's no East Philadelphia, how does one even define East Philadelphia, much less go to East Philadelphia?
To the best of my knowledge, there's no East Harrisburg nor West Harrisburg either; nonetheless there are Turnpike interchanges named Harrisburg East and Harrisburg West.  Granted, the Susquehanna River (& bridge crossing) is a more definitive line of demarcation and the directional suffixes for those two interchanges were likely applied in relation to such.

That said, Gnutella was suggesting that there be two interchanges named Philadelphia with cardinal suffixes not prefixes to separate them.  Nonetheless, the possibility of one confusing an interchange named Philadelphia West with the neighborhood of West Philadelphia could indeed happen; though using the Schuylkill from Valley Forge is indeed the best way to get to West Philly.

Quote from: Zeffy on May 28, 2014, 02:06:47 PMEven more interesting is the fact that they have a "South Philadelphia West" labeled on the map.
That's obviously a mistake.  It should read Southwest Philadelphia.

Quote from: Zeffy on May 28, 2014, 02:06:47 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 01:31:31 PM
93 should be in Highway Gothic.

While I am a Clearview opposer, I believe that in situations like this, and others where numerals are used in the main destination legend (such as numbered street names), that the numerals should be allowed to remain in Clearview, just because switching fonts in the middle of the same line of text just seems odd to me.
Such case-mixing (in attempt to follow FHWA guidelines) has actually been done, note the 2ND listing next to St. listing on this BGS

Granted, such does look odd.  In those situations, I would just make the entire line involving numerals and/or Caps Highway Gothic; much like the EXIT 110 listing on your BBS example.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.