News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 02:41:13 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 10:44:57 PMLet's be real, the least weird thing we can probably associate with Target is the usage of "POS" as an acronym.  I'm still way more perplexed by stuff like calling employees "Team Members" and customers "Guests."  You didn't have a "manager" at Target but rather an "Executive Team Leader."

Customers being guests is the de facto term in the restaurant biz.
Northeast / Re: Underappreciated Aspect of...
Last post by TheStranger - Today at 02:04:50 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 03, 2024, 02:38:08 PM.... and since the Beltways had so many exits, they encouraged suburban development. ...

This is definitely one of the key points. Even though the Capital Beltway works better than going straight through DC (due primarily to I-95 never having been finished, of course), it is nevertheless often referred to as the DC area's "Main Street." It's kind of striking when you look at maps how often a beltway has become a route through an area due to growth, rather than a route around an area. That's not unique to Interstate beltways, of course; the Charlottesville bypass, especially the US-250 portion east of where US-29 splits off, is a fine example of a road built a long time ago that no longer bypasses the area due to ongoing growth.

The "through the area thing" is what define I-405 in LA (which I think I and others talked about a bit in the "bypasses/beltways that work" thread earlier this month).

Since you're local to the area, I wonder: from Beltsville to the Springfield Interchange (basically from each end of where 95 meets 495), have traffic patterns changed enough since I-695's completion in DC to make the 295/695/395 route (the future DC 295 to I-395 route) better at some times of day, than following the east half of the Beltway?
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 12, 2024, 11:04:04 PM
QuoteIt seems like it's in large part a desire to preserve a slower pace of life where you stop, wait in line, and then pay in cash (aside from the locals for whom MacPass actually makes sense) and to distance themselves, at least psychologically, from "toll road country" (note that there have also been many who are passionate about MI using "fare" instead of "toll" on signs).  This may be a broader regional trend, because E-ZPass usage is lower than in the Northeast, even along the toll road corridors.  Even in NY, E-ZPass utilization was lower around Buffalo than anywhere else in the state, despite the fact that the Thruway is needed there just to get to some of the suburbs on a freeway.  And Ohio was very late to adopting E-ZPass or even any transponder at all, even though, unlike Michigan, they "have a toll road".  Indiana doesn't even have ORT lanes.  Illinois seems to be the main exception.  So it definitely seems like there's something cultural going on.
That's silly. I feel no more connected to Illinois and points east by virtue of being in a state utilizing E-ZPass than I did before that switch was made. It's simply much more convenient for me not to have a separate account since I also visit Illinois often.

I don't think it's that EZPass necessarily connects you to those places on a cultural level, it's that there's just a regional difference in willingness to implement a system that's interoperable with other states, and that may be, at least in part, due to residents of those states being less tolerant of using those systems. And since it's clear that the Midwest is still well behind the Northeast in this regard, it's also fair to intuit a connection between the more slow-paced and down-to-earth lifestyle and resistance to/complacency about technological advancements.
So it's about refusing to accept/implement some of the conveniences of the modern world just to prove a point? Why doesn't the entire state just convert to a Mennonite community?
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 01:48:00 AM
Regarding the internet going down at the fireworks event...don't forget that this is a somewhat captive audience. If they don't want to take credit cards, they don't have to, because the alternative is either go without buying anything at all (forgoing drinks, outside, in Southwest Oklahoma, in July? yeah right) or leave and go to 7-11 and come back. They'll go to the ATM to save themselves the trouble of leaving the event, and Bobby's booth will take the cash to save themselves the trouble of fucking around with credit cards. And if there's enough people to create lines long enough to make people mad, they're doing enough business to not really care if a few people do choose to run to 7-11 instead.

Saving the transaction and running it later converts it to a card-not-present transaction, which has higher fees, since there is no way to tell if the transaction will decline after the fact. And if any of those transactions do decline after the fact, the vendor has to eat the loss. That's reason enough to not accept credit cards in that kind of situation.

Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:37:31 PMTo be honest I don't see why "team member" would be demeaning. If you don't feel it applies to you, then either the company has failed to create the culture they profess or you just weren't a good fit for that company to begin with.

We didn't use "team member" at my last job, but I tend to find that kind of euphemism kind of insulting to my intelligence. The employer is trying to camouflage the employer/employee relationship by instead insisting you're a "member" of a "team". That way they can later guilt you into calling them out on violating employment laws by saying "hey, we're all part of a team here."

My last job did something similar when they rebranded the "chain of command" as a "line of support". They didn't appreciate that my response to the news was "It's a line of something, all right."
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 01:20:08 AM
It's very easy to draw a straight line from the diagonal of US-287 between Limon and Kit Carson to the diagonal of OK-3 from Fort Supply and Woodward down toward OKC. Straight shot from Kit Carson to Fort Supply. No mountains or other difficult terrain in the way. A diagonal highway linking Denver & OKC could be the western equivalent of I-44 linking OKC and St Louis. It's just flipping the diagonal highway 180 degrees. The route would be just as important, if not even more so due to the sheer lack of redundancy in Western super highways.

Yeah, there would naturally be a lot of political push to shift such a route in different directions to connect directly to towns not exactly in the straight shot path. Shifting the route via Liberal would pull it a bit South. I don't think Garden City would be all that bad an alternative, but it would pull the straight shot path a bit north. The smaller Kansas towns of Plains, Sublette and Syracuse would be more on the straight shot path.

But, again to try to keep it on topic, this kind of highway would be the very thing that would allow a US-412 Interstate to be extended West of I-35. There is virtually zero chance of "I-42" getting built out to Boise City and Raton under current circumstances. I could maybe see an I-135 route getting built from the I-35/I-42 interchange to Enid. That's about it. The only way I-42 would get extended farther West to a point like Woodward was if I-42 was tying into another major corridor.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Wisconsin notes
Last post by peterj920 - Today at 12:59:49 AM
I just drove on a resurfaced Wis 16 Oconomowoc Bypass which features white then black stripes even on asphalt. The Wis 15 Hortonville Bypass was striped the same way but the black stands out way more since that was on concrete. However, I-43 is being striped with the white/black outline stripes. Will the new longer white/black stripes be used on new projects after I-43?
Mid-Atlantic / Re: I-73 in VA
Last post by sprjus4 - Today at 12:07:05 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 12, 2024, 09:45:52 PMLet's appreciate that the identified route for I-73 in VA doesn't include the Martinsville Southern Connector at all.  How wasteful.
I-73 was studied first. The MSC came several years later, and in my opinion makes more sense even for the whole I-73 corridor between NC and Roanoke because it would use a good portion of the existing Martinsville bypass as opposed to building a new, parallel one.

The existing bypass is mostly interstate grade, only lacking the shoulders and maybe some geometric improvements in spot areas, but would be significantly cheaper to upgrade than bypassing it. It already handles a 65 mph speed limit.
Last post by Max Rockatansky - July 12, 2024, 11:55:45 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:37:31 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 11:09:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 10:44:57 PMI'm still way more perplexed by stuff like calling employees "Team Members" and customers "Guests."  You didn't have a "manager" at Target but rather an "Executive Team Leader."

I don't see what's so weird about that except maybe calling customers guests, but I doubt that actually happens on a regular basis. I've become accustomed to "clients" but don't think I would ever use "guests" in a business context.

I prefer to be called an employee over a demeaning corporate buzzword.  When I worked at Target I was an employee.  The only time I was ever a team member was off the clock when I played a couple softball games with co-workers.

To be honest I don't see why "team member" would be demeaning. If you don't feel it applies to you, then either the company has failed to create the culture they profess or you just weren't a good fit for that company to begin with.

Meh, I've been in the same line of work my entire adult life (retail Loss Prevention).  There has been nothing I've seen in over the decades to suggest my initial assessment that "team member" was a silly/undignified thing to call an employee was off the mark.  I feel equally sour towards other phony retail titles such as "associate" and "coach."

Shall I regale you with other examples of how weird and absurd retail culture can be?  The "Sowing the seeds of our culture" push at Sears circa 2007-2008 was probably the worst/most over the top I've seen.  That involved a device called the "silent square" that I would love to tell you all about. 
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Mackinac Bridge congestion
Last post by Rothman - July 12, 2024, 11:44:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on July 12, 2024, 11:04:04 PM
QuoteIt seems like it's in large part a desire to preserve a slower pace of life where you stop, wait in line, and then pay in cash (aside from the locals for whom MacPass actually makes sense) and to distance themselves, at least psychologically, from "toll road country" (note that there have also been many who are passionate about MI using "fare" instead of "toll" on signs).  This may be a broader regional trend, because E-ZPass usage is lower than in the Northeast, even along the toll road corridors.  Even in NY, E-ZPass utilization was lower around Buffalo than anywhere else in the state, despite the fact that the Thruway is needed there just to get to some of the suburbs on a freeway.  And Ohio was very late to adopting E-ZPass or even any transponder at all, even though, unlike Michigan, they "have a toll road".  Indiana doesn't even have ORT lanes.  Illinois seems to be the main exception.  So it definitely seems like there's something cultural going on.
That's silly. I feel no more connected to Illinois and points east by virtue of being in a state utilizing E-ZPass than I did before that switch was made. It's simply much more convenient for me not to have a separate account since I also visit Illinois often.

I don't think it's that EZPass necessarily connects you to those places on a cultural level, it's that there's just a regional difference in willingness to implement a system that's interoperable with other states, and that may be, at least in part, due to residents of those states being less tolerant of using those systems. And since it's clear that the Midwest is still well behind the Northeast in this regard, it's also fair to intuit a connection between the more slow-paced and down-to-earth lifestyle and resistance to/complacency about technological advancements.

No.
Last post by webny99 - July 12, 2024, 11:37:31 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 11:09:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2024, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2024, 10:44:57 PMI'm still way more perplexed by stuff like calling employees "Team Members" and customers "Guests."  You didn't have a "manager" at Target but rather an "Executive Team Leader."

I don't see what's so weird about that except maybe calling customers guests, but I doubt that actually happens on a regular basis. I've become accustomed to "clients" but don't think I would ever use "guests" in a business context.

I prefer to be called an employee over a demeaning corporate buzzword.  When I worked at Target I was an employee.  The only time I was ever a team member was off the clock when I played a couple softball games with co-workers.

To be honest I don't see why "team member" would be demeaning. If you don't feel it applies to you, then either the company has failed to create the culture they profess or you just weren't a good fit for that company to begin with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.