News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

the us 41 routing of 69 was a stupid idea

Revive 755

Quote from: mukade on August 21, 2013, 10:55:51 PM
I thought I-164 was posted at 70 for most of its length. Google maps street view

There's still a long section posted at 60:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.007136,-87.468166&spn=0.01432,0.033023&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=38.006862,-87.468106&panoid=gG4U_5LQ-ZogNmFO0aoSpQ&cbp=12,185.96,,0,10.7

Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.

I would agree if there weren't 24 stoplights and 3 at-grade railroad crossings.

Between I-64 and the future Illiana interchange, I count 43 stoplights (25 of them in Terre Haute, the total will be 45 with the Illiana interchange), and 7 at-grade railroad crossings (two in Terre Haute)
Map showing location of stoplights and railroad crossings on US 41

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 22, 2013, 10:53:18 PM
My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.

Between I-64 and the future Illiana interchange, I count 43 stoplights (25 of them in Terre Haute, the total will be 45 with the Illiana interchange), and 7 at-grade railroad crossings (two in Terre Haute)

I don't care for the expression "perfectly adequate", but US 41 is mostly adequate - except for Terre Haute as stated several times. When SR 641 opens, that will eliminate 8 or 9. The map looks about right except I don't think SR 56 has a light. So a traffic light every 10 miles or so outside of Terre Haute, right? Not awful.

I've never seen a train at any crossing on 41. US 31 between Indy and South Bend also has at least three RR crossings, but one will disappear soon. Still, these are not busy lines, but I agree I wish they were gone.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on August 22, 2013, 11:29:03 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on August 22, 2013, 10:53:18 PM

I don't care for the expression "perfectly adequate", but US 41 is mostly adequate - except for Terre Haute as stated several times. When SR 641 opens, that will eliminate 8 or 9. The map looks about right except I don't think SR 56 has a light. So a traffic light every 10 miles or so outside of Terre Haute, right? Not awful.

I've never seen a train at any crossing on 41. US 31 between Indy and South Bend also has at least three RR crossings, but one will disappear soon. Still, these are not busy lines, but I agree I wish they were gone.

US 31 has a crossing south of Plymouth near 14th road and north of Tipton near 100 S.  Where's the third one?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

I could count the number of signals and railroad crossings on US 23 between Asheville and Columbus, too, but so what? The US 23 corridor is fine as it is (bypasses of downtown Ashland and Portsmouth would be nice, however). Same with US 41. I've driven all the way from Terre Haute to Evansville once, between Evansville and Vincennes or Vincennes and Terre Haute a few times, and had no issues. The route adequately moves the traffic that's on it with no major delays, as does the above-referenced US 23.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 23, 2013, 07:41:55 AM

US 31 has a crossing south of Plymouth near 14th road and north of Tipton near 100 S.  Where's the third one?

In Kokomo by Menards. The one south of Lincoln Rd. is supposed to return as well, but by then, it won't be US 31 anymore.

mukade

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2013, 03:45:41 PM
I could count the number of signals and railroad crossings on US 23 between Asheville and Columbus, too, but so what? The US 23 corridor is fine as it is (bypasses of downtown Ashland and Portsmouth would be nice, however). Same with US 41. I've driven all the way from Terre Haute to Evansville once, between Evansville and Vincennes or Vincennes and Terre Haute a few times, and had no issues. The route adequately moves the traffic that's on it with no major delays, as does the above-referenced US 23.

It is adequate. It isn't perfectly adequate because of the clusters of lights in Terre Haute, Princeton, and Evansville. You definitely can have significant delays in Terre Haute.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on August 23, 2013, 05:45:16 PM

In Kokomo by Menards. The one south of Lincoln Rd. is supposed to return as well, but by then, it won't be US 31 anymore.

I never realized that was still an active line.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 23, 2013, 06:14:27 PM
Quote from: mukade on August 23, 2013, 05:45:16 PM

I never realized that was still an active line.

Article: Rail deal to reopen 12 miles of track

Avalanchez71

Didn't they have a bunch of BUS US 41 routes at one time or another?  I seem to remember seeing those back in the 80's to 90's.  I convinced my family to drive US 41 to Chicago in lieu of I-65 and we went that way ever since back in the day.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 23, 2013, 11:33:40 PM
Didn't they have a bunch of BUS US 41 routes at one time or another?  I seem to remember seeing those back in the 80's to 90's.  I convinced my family to drive US 41 to Chicago in lieu of I-65 and we went that way ever since back in the day.

There were a few in Evansville, but they were taken down last year.  In vincennes, there are a few still up. 

Captain Jack

There is still a few in Evansville. I noticed them both just north and south of Morgan Avenue on Fares Ave. Admittedly, there aren't very many left.

When US 41 was relocated in the early 70's, many of the motels and gas stations were still adequate and dependent on the traveler for business, which made designating the old route as Business 41 practical. Now, there really aren't any service stations relying on travelers on this route, and I can't imagine anyone passing through town staying at any of the motels on the old route. I am sure they are all just flop houses or hourly rate beds.

Another note, since the Lloyd Expressway blocked Kentucky Avenue, the old US 41 route isn't even complete through Evansville any longer. Kind of hard to have a business route/loop when it isn't even complete from end to end.

NE2

Somehow "Business 41" became a neighborhood name in Evansville in some database.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22business+41%22+evansville
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Avalanchez71

Speaking of Evansville, what does this mean?  http://goo.gl/maps/FOQOO

Is this a google maps thing?

West State Route 62 [P](~4 segments)

NE2

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 27, 2013, 10:34:12 PM
It's no Quebec Route 366.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Captain Jack on August 26, 2013, 01:32:49 AM
There is still a few in Evansville. I noticed them both just north and south of Morgan Avenue on Fares Ave. Admittedly, there aren't very many left.

When US 41 was relocated in the early 70's, many of the motels and gas stations were still adequate and dependent on the traveler for business, which made designating the old route as Business 41 practical. Now, there really aren't any service stations relying on travelers on this route, and I can't imagine anyone passing through town staying at any of the motels on the old route. I am sure they are all just flop houses or hourly rate beds.

Another note, since the Lloyd Expressway blocked Kentucky Avenue, the old US 41 route isn't even complete through Evansville any longer. Kind of hard to have a business route/loop when it isn't even complete from end to end.

Can't speak to Fares, but Kentucky Ave has lost most of its traveler-oriented stuff.  A few flophouse motels, as you say, and a handful of rundown restaurants and low-end car lots.  It's funny to just look at the lot sizes along it and compare them to the much larger swaths taken up by comparable newer developments in town.  A new gas station in that area takes up more room than the parcels those old motels sit on.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 27, 2013, 10:34:12 PM
Speaking of Evansville, what does this mean?  http://goo.gl/maps/FOQOO

Is this a google maps thing?

likely an error on google's part

RoadWarrior56

I got my engine replaced at a shop just off of Fares a year and a half ago, which is old US 41 north of the Lloyd (Division St. for us old timers).  I can testify that the pavement on old 41 is in bad shape and the buildings and land uses are not what I could call highway oriented.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 28, 2013, 12:19:52 PM

Can't speak to Fares, but Kentucky Ave has lost most of its traveler-oriented stuff.  A few flophouse motels, as you say, and a handful of rundown restaurants and low-end car lots.  It's funny to just look at the lot sizes along it and compare them to the much larger swaths taken up by comparable newer developments in town.  A new gas station in that area takes up more room than the parcels those old motels sit on.

Yep, Kentucky Avenue is pretty well a ghost town. It doesn't help that the area is pretty bad around it. The area around North Fares isn't much better, but many of the motels still remain on that section. None are recommended unless you are looking for some paid companionship. I would hate to think of the impression of Evansville someone would have if they were passing through and decided to drive along old 41.

With that said, The Merry Go Round Restaurant on North Fares continues to be one of the best diners in Evansville. It still has the same decor as it did when US 41 ran in front, clean, with great food and a good price.

NE2

Quote from: Captain Jack on August 29, 2013, 12:18:07 AM
I would hate to think of the impression of Evansville someone would have if they were passing through and decided to drive along old 41.
You can always use Old State Road/Stringtown Road. It was never US 41 but was presumably the main road at one time.

Captain Jack

Quote from: NE2 on August 29, 2013, 12:42:07 AM
I would hate to think of the impression of Evansville someone would have if they were passing through and decided to drive along old 41.
You can always use Old State Road/Stringtown Road. It was never US 41 but was presumably the main road at one time.

I am not sure if it ever carried a 41 shield, but it was officially known as Dixie Bee Road. There is a neighborhood built in the early 20's just north of Maxwell called Dixie Bee, and the brick enterance post is still standing, with Dixie Bee Road engraved across the top.

Avalanchez71

So was Darmstadt Rd the old US 41?

NE2

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 29, 2013, 11:02:02 PM
No; Biz 41 was. http://bl-libg-doghill.ads.iu.edu/gm-web/imdb/inhwy1927.pdf (note the Evansville inset at left, and that several streets have been renamed)

Captain Jack

Quote from: NE2 on August 29, 2013, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 29, 2013, 11:02:02 PM
No; Biz 41 was. http://bl-libg-doghill.ads.iu.edu/gm-web/imdb/inhwy1927.pdf (note the Evansville inset at left, and that several streets have been renamed)

Neat map! That clarifies that Stringtown never carried the 41 shield. Ross Avenue is now Willow Road. The section from Columbia to Morgan is still there, however, north of Morgan, Ross/Willow is under the current 41. Not sure the exact year that 41 was moved over to the Fares Avenue alignment. I have a '37 map which still shows it on the Ross Avenue route. My guess is sometime in the early 40's.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 28, 2013, 12:19:52 PM

Yep, Kentucky Avenue is pretty well a ghost town. It doesn't help that the area is pretty bad around it. The area around North Fares isn't much better, but many of the motels still remain on that section. None are recommended unless you are looking for some paid companionship. I would hate to think of the impression of Evansville someone would have if they were passing through and decided to drive along old 41.

With that said, The Merry Go Round Restaurant on North Fares continues to be one of the best diners in Evansville. It still has the same decor as it did when US 41 ran in front, clean, with great food and a good price.

Drifting ever further off topic, is the Merry Go Round connected to the Carousel off Green River Rd?  They seem similar (though the Merry Go Round seems a little less disused-office-y than the Carousel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.