News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Oldest Vestigial Signs Posted in the Field for Routes No Longer What is Posted

Started by Avalanchez71, September 27, 2022, 10:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So what old signs are hanging around on a road that is no longer what the sign says the road is? 

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

There are still signs for KY 1398 along KY 1571 in Estill County. KY 1398 was turned over to the county several years ago but the signs have not been taken down.

Similarly, when new KY 30 was built in Owsley County, the old route was renumbered KY 3536. There are still KY 30 signs along the old route. The new section of KY 30 in Owsley and Jackson counties was renumbered KY 3630. Jackson County has already changed its signs out but Owsley County hasn't, and probably won't for awhile. The two counties are in separate highway districts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Pretty sure some old KY 15 signs are still up in Whitesburg on its old alignment.  They were there a few years ago during my last visit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

I've noticed several CA 42 shields on Manchester Avenue and Firestone Blvd.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GaryA

I'm not sure how old this sign (https://goo.gl/maps/2H7VqSBC78dCcyCE8) is in Oxnard, CA on Vineyard Ave (former CA 232) identifying the upcoming intersection as "Oxnard Blvd / State Rt. 1", but CA 1 has been rerouted and relinquished within Oxnard.  There's other assorted signage on the old CA 1 route  (including a BGS as you turn from PCH onto Oxnard Blvd), but none of it looks significantly old.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on September 28, 2022, 01:05:45 PM
I've noticed several CA 42 shields on Manchester Avenue and Firestone Blvd.

Still there, M3100 has recent photos. 

Takumi

There's a VA 170 shield at a closed gate on Norfolk Naval Base. The road has been I-564 for some time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bing101

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE141.html
I remember at one time CA-141 was well signed in Vallejo up to the early 1990's until they were removed for good.
Also at one point Benicia had CA-21 green out signs on the ramps to I-680 North until those signs are removed to make way for the new northbound Benicia Bridge.

https://www.interstate-guide.com/i-780-ca/

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on September 28, 2022, 11:42:20 AM
Pretty sure some old KY 15 signs are still up in Whitesburg on its old alignment.  They were there a few years ago during my last visit.

That route is Business 15 (officially known as KY 15X, and there is at least one contractor-installed sign to that effect) so most of those signs through downtown just never had the "Business" banner added.

The same is true in downtown Hazard.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

andrepoiy

The City of Toronto still has vestigial signs from Ontario King Highways (namely Highway 11, 2) that were downloaded to the city... in 2022, 24 years after the fact. I don't know why they're still up given that during that time, pretty much all of the traffic lights have been upgraded and etc.

In fact, for some reason, this sign was moved from one pole to another between 2019 and 2020... but not removed

2019:

2020:

ran4sh

In the Athens, GA area there are several. One of the common types of such old signs are the directional signs with destinations/control cities that reflect former routing of routes. For example, US 29 used to run on the north side of GA 10 Loop, so there are signs along the intersecting streets for Hartwell GA. There are also signs approaching Broad St (currently US 78 Business) that list Winder GA, which also would have been from when US 29 ran along that street.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

TheGrassGuy

- There are several NJ 24 signs still up between Hackettstown and Morristown
- There's at least 1 street blade still saying NJ 171 in downtown New Brunswick
- There's at least 1 US 611 shield near the DWG in NJ (and in PA) but I'm not sure how many, if any, are still up

On the other hand, it seems like county routes always seem to consistently vanish on time.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

JoePCool14

There's still a Perkins billboard that mention IA-32 in Dubuque, but otherwise, I don't know of any remaining signs from that decommissioned route. Iowa DOT did a pretty good job getting rid of them all. Many of the posts they were affixed to still exist though.

One of the street blades at US-151/61 and the Locust St connector did still list US-52, but that one was recently replaced to remove that.

Old: https://goo.gl/maps/j4qTZhciAAW5VEfv6
New: https://goo.gl/maps/cvEuZhvHj7vhwHXN9

For context, IA-32 was decommissioned when the US-52 Southwest Arterial was completed. Approval of the decommission was in 2017, with the removal going through in 2020.

Edit: Added context.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

A round of applause!   :clap:   for the three folks below, who included actual numbers in their responses–rather than (a) just making vague statements like "a while" or "some time now" or "years ago", and/or (b) just assuming we all know off the top of our heads whether any given route was decommissioned a short time or a long time ago.

Quote from: TheStranger on September 28, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
(the Long Beach Freeway received its second and final renumbering in 1984)

Quote from: andrepoiy on September 28, 2022, 10:33:08 PM
in 2022, 24 years after the fact

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2022, 05:21:25 PM
more than 50 years old.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 29, 2022, 07:06:10 PM
A round of applause!   :clap:   for the three folks below, who included actual numbers in their responses–rather than (a) just making vague statements like "a while" or "some time now" or "years ago", and/or (b) just assuming we all know off the top of our heads whether any given route was decommissioned a short time or a long time ago.

Quote from: TheStranger on September 28, 2022, 08:48:36 PM
(the Long Beach Freeway received its second and final renumbering in 1984)

in 2022, 24 years after the fact

Quote from: NE2 on September 29, 2022, 05:21:25 PM
more than 50 years old.

FWIW Belmont Subway was bypassed during October 1957:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/09/hunting-for-forgotten-history-old-us-99.html?m=1

That would put the stencil US 99 as being placed sometime between 1932-1957.  I didn't give an exact date since I have no idea when the Belmont Subway stencil was put in place.  I probably could track down a more exacting time for HI 37 moving off Old Haleakala Highway but I haven't even started on anything yet blog wise for Maui.

Quillz

CA-42 seems to be as well-signed today as it was in the past, despite being officially deleted once I-105 was completed.

froggie

The first thing that came to my mind reading this thread is a former example...it is no longer signed as such, but "VA 305" leading into Fort Story from US 60/Beach Blvd was signed for ~54 years after its decommissioning in 1960.

Avalanchez71

The City of Toronto still has vestigial signs from Ontario King Highways (namely Highway 11, 2) that were downloaded to the city... in 2022, 24 years after the fact. I don't know why they're still up given that during that time, pretty much all of the traffic lights have been upgraded and etc.

In fact, for some reason, this sign was moved from one pole to another between 2019 and 2020... but not removed

2019:

2020:

Wasn't LLoyd Avenue once 11A?

LilianaUwU

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on September 29, 2022, 12:53:50 PM
On the other hand, it seems like county routes always seem to consistently vanish on time.

NJ's handful of county route spurs say hi.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Quillz

There is still some CA-34 signage that can be found in Oxnard. CA-1 has bypassed Oxnard as of 2014 or so, now running east of its former alignment. This moves CA-34 farther east as well, but a lot of the signage in this area is still inconsistent.

Avalanchez71

There is a US 70S sign on the old Main St alignment of US 70S in Murfreesboro.  It is of newer vintage circa 1990 directing traffic to veer left to Lassiter St in lieu of an older vintage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.